Question about job listing with GEB abbrev.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there,

looking for some insider info on a what GEB means within amtrak? Is it a starting position? I'm asking (and hopefully in the correct forum) because I'm job hunting and I've seen Usher positions just listed as Usher and then there's GEB Usher positions listed as well. I'm just looking for some insight. Thanks in advance.

I see. That would have been helpful in the listing. Thank you very much for that info. So minimum as in a guaranteed amount? Or threshold of sorts.

What is the practical difference?

I do not work for Amtrak, and my knowledge is base on talks with OBS (On Board Service Crew) and not station personnel. OBS let’s say is guaranteed 120 hours a month. If there work hours fall short Amtrak pays for the missed hours. If there very busy then they will get more than the 120 hours in a month. The OBS will get payed for the work that they do. IE: 140 hours of pay.

The guarantee is exchange for Full time availability for less than full time work hours. This is a Union thing. You need to earn seniority to hold down a regular position. In this case you have a minimum base salary. So you need to plan your lifestyle around this minimum, and use any extra pay, and or tips for capital spending. At some point you will be able to bid and hold regular hours and then you upgrade your lifestyle. IE: buy a house, buy a new car, have kids, vacations.

What is the practical difference?

I do not work for Amtrak, and my knowledge is base on talks with OBS (On Board Service Crew) and not station personnel. OBS let’s say is guaranteed 120 hours a month. If there work hours fall short Amtrak pays for the missed hours. If there very busy then they will get more than the 120 hours in a month. The OBS will get payed for the work that they do. IE: 140 hours of pay.

The guarantee is exchange for Full time availability for less than full time work hours. This is a Union thing. You need to earn seniority to hold down a regular position. In this case you have a minimum base salary. So you need to plan your lifestyle around this minimum, and use any extra pay, and or tips for capital spending. At some point you will be able to bid and hold regular hours and then you upgrade your lifestyle. IE: buy a house, buy a new car, have kids, vacations.
Ok. I understand. What I don't understand is why there are listings with and without the GEB designation. Same position. and which one should i apply for?

Attachments

• ex.png
    ex.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 6
They certainly have station agents who would help people with their baggage. The "Usher" position doesn't just mean a position like NYP/CHI where they check people's tickets before going to the tracks.
Ah got it. A Gateman who has nothing to do with a gate :D My bad 🤷‍♂️

Back