Question about Montreal Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
I am considering a round trip this fall on the Adirondack, including 4 or 5 days in Montreal. The hotels near the airport are significantly less expensive, so I would likely stay there.

I am also considering renting a car so I can travel around Quebec. I can rent at the airport or for about $50 more, I can rent from near the MTR station. This is all dependent on how easy it is to get from the train station to the airport.

For that matter, I may rent the car for only a few days and use the Metro to get around for sightseeing.

Any thoughts?

It's been years (1984) since I took the bus from Dorval to Central Station. As I remember, it was very easy!

If you are considering renting a car, consider most of the street signs in and around Montreal are in French only! Back in the 1970's and 1980's, they were both in English and French. But I think they have since made all signs be in the official language only - French! If the places you want to go to are near the Metro, I personally would chose the Metro!

Growing up in northern New York State, I used to go to see the Expo's play 3 or 4 times a year. I used to park at the Metro stop across the St. Lawrence River and take the Metro right to Olympic Stadium! That way, I didn't have to deal with traffic.
wink.gif

It's been years (1984) since I took the bus from Dorval to Central Station. As I remember, it was very easy!

If you are considering renting a car, consider most of the street signs in and around Montreal are in French only! Back in the 1970's and 1980's, they were both in English and French. But I think they have since made all signs be in the official language only - French! If the places you want to go to are near the Metro, I personally would chose the Metro!

Growing up in northern New York State, I used to go to see the Expo's play 3 or 4 times a year. I used to park at the Metro stop across the St. Lawrence River and take the Metro right to Olympic Stadium! That way, I didn't have to deal with traffic.
wink.gif
The street signs are really no big deal. The only thing that will throw you off is that on the island of Montreal, all right turns on red are prohibited by default (there are not necessarily signs saying so). Once you leave the island and end up on either the north or south shore, you're OK to turn right on red.

Montreal drivers are a little nutty, but not as bad as Boston. That said, the Metro is quite nice and there is an affordable day pass option. Also consider the new public bike-sharing system called Bixi. It's quite similar to the Velib system in Paris, and allows for self-service check-in and check-out of rental bicycles around the city.

Easiest way is the STM (city transit) bus between downtown and the airport.

http://www.stm.info/english/bus/planibus/747.pdf

Note the link above refers to Central Station.....this is the Central BUS Station at the Barri Metro Station but only a short Metro ride from Central TRAIN Station.

Last edited:
As you seem to be considering other travel in Quebec, I recommend a visit to Quebec City. It has the feeling of a French village, rather than the modern city feel of Montreal. I know Montreal has an old quarter, but it is not a patch on Quebec City. It is easy to travel there on Via Rail.

Jean

As you seem to be considering other travel in Quebec, I recommend a visit to Quebec City. It has the feeling of a French village, rather than the modern city feel of Montreal. I know Montreal has an old quarter, but it is not a patch on Quebec City. It is easy to travel there on Via Rail.

Jean
I wholeheartedly agree. And if the Quebec City hotels are too pricey during the peak travel season, there's a great HI hostel in the old city. The train is a good choice, and there is also frequent bus service (it's about a 3-hour trip).

Jean
Here's a link to my report on a trip to the Winter Carnival in Quebec City last February.....but don't let the ice and snow fool you..... Summer in Quebec City is Hot!

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/31101-where-business-class-first-class/

I would definitely use the Metro to get around for sightseeing, it is the easiest way to get around the city and goes just about everywhere. There is also a really cool system of tunnels underground connecting different parts of the center city which I used as well when I felt like walking vice taking metro.

As far as driving in Montreal, usually city driving as a rule doesn't faze me, but Montreal, especially in the old port area, where I was staying, was a bit harrowing.

Enjoy the trip, whatever you choose to do. Montreal is a wonderful city!

-Sav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back