Question about New Brunswick, NJ station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B&Ofan

Train Attendant
Hi I'm taking my bicycle on an upcoming trip from Boston to New Brunswick NJ. I know New Brunswick has high level platforms but will they still open all doors at that station? It might be easier for the conductors to only open select doors so they know who boards at the station. It would be a bit of a problem is the door by my bicycle didn't open. thanks in advance.

Hi I'm taking my bicycle on an upcoming trip from Boston to New Brunswick. I know New Brunswick has high level platforms but will they still open all doors at that station? It might be easier for the conductors to only open select doors so they know who boards at the station. It would be a bit of a problem is the door by my bicycle didn't open. thanks in advance.
If you board close to the food service car you should be able to verify with the Conductor what his/her plans are. Nobody here can give you more reliable advice on which specific door will or will not open that particular day.

Hi I'm taking my bicycle on an upcoming trip from Boston to New Brunswick. I know New Brunswick has high level platforms but will they still open all doors at that station? It might be easier for the conductors to only open select doors so they know who boards at the station. It would be a bit of a problem is the door by my bicycle didn't open. thanks in advance.
By your screen name, I am assuming you mean Brunswick, MD, and not New Brunswick, NJ?🤔

By your screen name, I am assuming you mean Brunswick, MD, and not New Brunswick, NJ?🤔
The thread title said Brunswick ME so I assume he means the Downeaster. They generally do not open all doors, usually one by the cafe and maybe one of the coach doors. Generally most people get off at Portland so there usually aren't many at Brunswick. I would check with the conductor when boarding at North Station.

There is a ramp from the platform down to Union St. at the west end of the platform.

If you board close to the food service car you should be able to verify with the Conductor what his/her plans are. Nobody here can give you more reliable advice on which specific door will or will not open that particular day.
The food in the cafe is very good — featuring the Whoopie pie the official snack of the commonwealth of Maine.

Sweet.

AU had a discussion about a train line other than AMTRAK reactivating a line going from Brunswick Maine to Rockland Maine. It seemed like an aggressive schedule, but I seem to remember it starting in July 2023, so getting from North Station to Rockland would involve paying fare from north station to Brunswick and then another fair from Brunswick to Rockland Maine. It sounds cool.

The crews on the Downeaster generally are super helpful, and the train normally isn't crowded into or out of Brunswick, so I'm sure they'll position you and your bike near a door they plan to open -- or they'll open one just for you if necessary. It's the last stop going north, so things are usually pretty relaxed there.

Don't bikes on the Downeaster ride in Cabbage Car? This the uncovered F40 at one end of the train, at least 10 years ago this was equipped with bike racks and where bikes went, not in the normal Amfleet cars.

Brunswick ME is the end of the line for the Downeaster, so the original poster's worry about have to hoof it to get his bike off shouldn't be an issue. They won't reverse the train or pull it off to a storage track while there are still passengers aboard, so if you have to fuss with your bike to get it off the rack or drag it the length of the car because they only opened the door at the far end, they will see you and won't move until you are off. It probably won't be crowded, so it should only take much less than a minute to walk your bike to the far end of the car. If it is heavily loaded, every will be getting off, so you just need to wait at the end of the line.

If there is a special separate bike storage area, the conductor will probably load and unload it for you. They generally don't let passengers into the baggage cars. I'm not sure about the baggage areas of cabbage (combination coach and baggage) or other special cars.

It's not like trying to get a bike off a packed commuter train where lots of people are getting on and off and you only have a few seconds to fight your way through a crowd! You'll be fine.

Back