Question about Osceola IA / no baggage service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie

Train Attendant
Osceola, IA, says it has no baggage service. Will be traveling with a collapsible push wheelchair and maybe a roller/walker. How is this handled when the station has no baggage service?
Traveling to/from Chicago. Would it be better to go in coach or a bedroom?

Thanks.

Osceola, IA, says it has no baggage service. Will be traveling with a collapsible push wheelchair and maybe a roller/walker. How is this handled when the station has no baggage service?
Traveling to/from Chicago. Would it be better to go in coach or a bedroom?

Thanks.

There is common storage space both in sleepers and coaches to accommodate the folded wheelchair and walker. These are bi-level cars, so book lower level accommodations if you want to avoid the stairs. The sleepers have roomettes, a family bedroom and an accessible bedroom downstairs. Lower level coach seating is also available and must be specifically booked.

Yes, the H room is bigger than the regular bedrooms and priced closer to or the same as the roomettes. Has shower/toilet combo separated from the couch/bed by a curtain. Smaller windows but one on each side of room.

Yes, the H room is bigger than the regular bedrooms and priced closer to or the same as the roomettes. Has shower/toilet combo separated from the couch/bed by a curtain. Smaller windows but one on each side of room.
I thought the H room followed the roomette buckets all the time? Not like there's an H roomette. Shouldn't have to pay more just because it's a bedroom.

I thought the H room followed the roomette buckets all the time? Not like there's an H roomette. Shouldn't have to pay more just because it's a bedroom.
I believe that the price for an eligible user is different than how it would price when it is released for general sale.
Even on a Handicapped fare, I've sometimes seen the H-room on Silver Service to be one bucket higher than the Roomettes (before discount). I asked an Amtrak phone agent why they weren't the same, and she said it wasn't true that they were supposed to be the same.

Even on a Handicapped fare, I've sometimes seen the H-room on Silver Service to be one bucket higher than the Roomettes (before discount). I asked an Amtrak phone agent why they weren't the same, and she said it wasn't true that they were supposed to be the same.
Seems to me that would be a glaring ADA or at least discrimination issue.

Back