Question about the Disability Discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
The Senior Discount, the AAA Discount and most others are a percent off the railfare only, not the accommodation charge. Is this also true of the Disability Discount?

We have a letter from one of Wifey's Doctors that the Doctor is treating wifey for a condition that results in a MOBILITY IMPAIRMENT.

I don't think that we need tell all of Amtrak what Wifey's problem (other than me) is. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It only says mobility impairment for the bedroom reservations. The rail fare discount is for all disabled.

Who May Reserve Accessible Accommodations
Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.
Details About Discounts
Amtrak offers a rail fare discount to passengers with disabilities. To receive the discount you must book your reservation by telephone or at a ticket counter. Sorry, discounts are not available when you book online.

You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.

Last summer, I reserved tickets and space for my wife ("mobility impaired") and myself on the Crescent for travel in late September. During the initial phone conversation, the reservation agent gave me a quote for the entire round trip including a generic bedroom that was the same as I had just researched online. However, when I requested Bedroom H, the agent immediately recalculated and reduced the fare by nearly 50%, including accomodation. Although we were prepared to provide a doctor's letter explaining my wife's condition upon boarding (recommended by the agent), it was not requested, presumably because her impairment is obvious.

BTW, the SCAs and Conductors (both out and return trips) could not have been more gracious and helpful.

Details About Discounts
Amtrak offers a rail fare discount to passengers with disabilities. To receive the discount you must book your reservation by telephone or at a ticket counter. Sorry, discounts are not available when you book online.

You must also provide written documentation of disability at the ticket counter and when boarding the train.
Amtrak teaches yearly refresher courses to it's personnel. In the customer service section it's taught that asking a person about their disability is inappropriate and in most cases against the law. Pretty much according to the ADA the only time you may ask a person about their disability or ask for proof is upon that person making a request for a monetary discount. Thus, it's unlikely that once you've acquired your tickets, anyone else would ask you about any disability or impairment when boarding the train. If you have a reservation but for whatever reason purchase your tickets on board from the conductor then that conductor is in the same situation as a ticket agent. He'll ask or should ask to see written validation for the discount request.

Last summer, I reserved tickets and space for my wife ("mobility impaired") and myself on the Crescent for travel in late September. During the initial phone conversation, the reservation agent gave me a quote for the entire round trip including a generic bedroom that was the same as I had just researched online. However, when I requested Bedroom H, the agent immediately recalculated and reduced the fare by nearly 50%, including accomodation. Although we were prepared to provide a doctor's letter explaining my wife's condition upon boarding (recommended by the agent), it was not requested, presumably because her impairment is obvious.
BTW, the SCAs and Conductors (both out and return trips) could not have been more gracious and helpful.
Bedroom H is billed as a ROOMETTE with the handicap discount.

Details About Discounts

Amtrak teaches yearly refresher courses to it's personnel. In the customer service section it's taught that asking a person about their disability is inappropriate and in most cases against the law. Pretty much according to the ADA the only time you may ask a person about their disability or ask for proof is upon that person making a request for a monetary discount. Thus, it's unlikely that once you've acquired your tickets, anyone else would ask you about any disability or impairment when boarding the train. If you have a reservation but for whatever reason purchase your tickets on board from the conductor then that conductor is in the same situation as a ticket agent. He'll ask or should ask to see written validation for the discount request.
Here's the thing, I am on SSA, for epilepsy. Naturally, I dont need the handicapped room, and wouldnt want to use up the space, but I would like to get a discount if I could.

Here's the thing, I am on SSA, for epilepsy. Naturally, I dont need the handicapped room, and wouldnt want to use up the space, but I would like to get a discount if I could.
Does not equal being mobility impaired. However, could be that the disability discount would apply, as obviously there are disabilities that affect your ability to work or do other things than have nothing to do with mobility.

Not to be inconsiderate, but why does Amtrak offer a mobility impairment discount in the first place? Isn't it more likely that such passengers cost MORE to serve, and thus offering a discount goes in the opposite direction?

It's not like Amtrak is awash in money and thus in a position to be charitable...

EDIT nevermind, just saw in the other thread that it's not so much a discount as an upgrade to "create" an accessible roomette. Still a questionable policy, but one that's required by law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be inconsiderate, but why does Amtrak offer a mobility impairment discount in the first place? Isn't it more likely that such passengers cost MORE to serve, and thus offering a discount goes in the opposite direction?
It's not like Amtrak is awash in money and thus in a position to be charitable...

EDIT nevermind, just saw in the other thread that it's not so much a discount as an upgrade to "create" an accessible roomette. Still a questionable policy, but one that's required by law.
Since Amtrak is Federally funded, it is required to provide 'access' for people with disabilities.

I have no problem with any specific discount.

Amtrak also provides discounts for Military, Students, Children, AAA, Seniors, NARP, Veterans, etc.

They just don't apply to the Bedrooms/Roomettes.

I do have a question, though. Did the current sleepers always have an H bedroom? Or when were they added?

Since Amtrak is Federally funded, it is required to provide 'access' for people with disabilities.

I have no problem with any specific discount.

Amtrak also provides discounts for Military, Students, Children, AAA, Seniors, NARP, Veterans, etc.

They just don't apply to the Bedrooms/Roomettes.

I do have a question, though. Did the current sleepers always have an H bedroom? Or when were they added?
Both sets of Superliners and the Viewliner order of 50 were built with H rooms from day 1. Amtrak tried an "accessible" roomette on some Heritage 10/6 equipment by taking two roomettes and making one spacious roomette at the end of the car. I don't think many cars were converted knowing that Viewliners were in the works.

The requirement has nothing with being federally funded. With some very specific exceptions, accessibility for the mobility impaired and a whole list of other difficulties, is required of any facility that is open to the public, no matter who pays for making it possible.

The requirement has nothing with being federally funded. With some very specific exceptions, accessibility for the mobility impaired and a whole list of other difficulties, is required of any facility that is open to the public, no matter who pays for making it possible.
Maybe I should rephrase-Since Amtrak is owned by the Federal Government, it is required to follow all Federal law, one of which is disability accessibility. If you look at budgets or funding for Amtrak, you will also see funding directed specifically to providing access for the disabled whether on the train or at the station.

Maybe I should rephrase-Since Amtrak is owned by the Federal Government, it is required to follow all Federal law, one of which is disability accessibility. If you look at budgets or funding for Amtrak, you will also see funding directed specifically to providing access for the disabled whether on the train or at the station.
but does the law say they must give a discount? In my mind accessibility is stuff like elevators and wheelchair lifts. Are the discounts just good will or actually part of the law.

I don't know if a discount is required. I would think that unlikely. As I mentioned before, there are many discounts available for Amtrak passengers in general.

Privately owned entities have to follow federal law as well if they operate within the US. The term you might be looking for is "common carrier." ;)

Privately owned entities have to follow federal law as well if they operate within the US. The term you might be looking for is "common carrier." ;)
Thank you! I think that is the proper term for it.

In the US the most universally recognized proof of disability is a Medicare card.
The Medicare card is a proof of insurance card not of disability.

That is correct. But in some cases, if you are young & are on Medicare, then the reason could be a disability.

You could also be on Medicaid if you are disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back