Question about trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant
Hey all, I've got a couple of questions here and i was hoping you guys could help. Im going on leave on nov 10th and taking amtrak from charleston sc, to newark nj. My question is twofold. First of all is there a possibility that i could upgrade from coach to a roomette on the train, and if so how much would that cost? And secondly if I were to carry my seabag onto the train instead of checking it would Amtrak still enforce its 50 lb weight limit. When I left boot camp two months ago my seabag weighed 49.4 lbs and i have accumulated quite a few more items than the spartan ones the Navy provided me with in boot camp. Thanks in advance for all your help guys, I look forward to gaining some insight from all the knowledgeable people on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there is always a chance that you could be able to upgrade, but it's way to far in the future to know if you'll get lucky. As you get closer to the date, check with Amtrak.com to see how many roomettes are still available. The higher the number, the better the odds.

No clue on the cost, but a good guess might be around $100.

Turning to your bag, if it looks like it's horribly overweight then you could have a problem. Or if you ask anyone for help then it could be a problem. Otherwise the odds are that you can get away with a 55 to 60 LB bag.

The official policy is still 50 LBS even for carry-on, but the conductor is unlikely to meet you at the station with a scale to weigh your bag. So bottom line, don't make it look like your bag is overweight and you'll probably be ok.

If it looks like you are going to go more than 10 LBS overweight, then you might want to look into buy a second small bag and putting a few things in there just to distribute the load a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in uniform, I'd certainly hope they'd overlook a bit of overweight. As long as it's not like the size of TWO seabags! It's not like it's an aircraft where they have to really watch the weight.

We're all proud of you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back