Question on Roomette prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into the final planning of a USA Rail Pass adventure in April 2012. Two of the LD trains we'd be taking are the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder. We're thinking of biting the bullet and upgrading to a roomette for these 2 segments since they're the longest ones of the trip. The lowest price I've seen for a roomette on the CZ is $278 and on $450 on the EB.

My question is - do these prices ever go lower as time goes on? Or is this pretty much what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Subject to availability, the rooms can be sold onboard by conductors at the lowest available fare (not bucket, actual fare), but you'd take a chance on not getting one at all. Other than that, room prices generally only go up as time goes on.

I'm looking into the final planning of a USA Rail Pass adventure in April 2012. Two of the LD trains we'd be taking are the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder. We're thinking of biting the bullet and upgrading to a roomette for these 2 segments since they're the longest ones of the trip. The lowest price I've seen for a roomette on the CZ is $278 and on $450 on the EB.

My question is - do these prices ever go lower as time goes on? Or is this pretty much what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance,

Sean
For the CZ, that is low bucket or close to it.

Subject to availability, the rooms can be sold onboard by conductors at the lowest available fare (not bucket, actual fare), but you'd take a chance on not getting one at all. Other than that, room prices generally only go up as time goes on.
I would NOT attempt to upgrade on board, not only because it has never worked for me, but also because those two routes are generally among the most popular and available rooms are unlikely to be available after departure. I've seen prices go up and down over time. I would suggest using AmSnag to get a feel for what the current prices are before, during, and after your current schedule. I would also check back periodically after you've made your purchase and see if the price has dropped. So long as you have not printed your tickets you can easily exchange a more expensive reservation for a cheaper one. Even if you have printed your tickets you can still take them back and have them printed again if you're near a staffed station. The link for AmSnag is in my signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the replies. I used Amsnag to get an idea as to how prices fluctuate from month to month, day to day. Seems that the prices I found are the cheapest.

I do have another question regarding the purchase of a roomette under a USA Rail Pass. If the price of the roomette on Amtrak is $278, is that the price I pay for the roomette? Or do I pay the difference between the coach fare and the roomette price as an "upgrade" (since technically my coach seat is already "purchased" under the USA Rail Pass)?. This is what confuses me because I've heard conflicting reports.

Thanks.

The price of the roomette is in addition to a coach fare ticket that you will need also.

I've found that sleeper prices that Amtrak quotes is based upon a range of determining factors. Anticipated demand, actual sales, and seasonal adjustments all play into the fare structure. In particular, summer month bookings on many trains, no longer open at low bucket 11 months out. Its all part of Amtraks new revenue maximization plan that IMO will not help things one bit. Amtrak has effectively removed the early purchase incentives so people will now have to follow the fares and wait to purchase, rather than giving Amtrak the sale many months in advance. The price of a sleeper is always in addition to the coach fare and is the same adder used for one, two or three passengers (2 adults, +1 child).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back