Question re Lorton station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a widow with 2 toy poodles and need to move to FL. Can anyone give me advice on how to take my two doggies on the train, please? Of course, I'd be getting a bedroom.

Unfortunately, dogs are not permitted on Amtrak.

Do you have a relative who can drive them down? Would you be able to fly with them? Toy poodles are small enough that most airlines will allow them in the cabin (in carriers, of course).

The topic of "pets on Amtrak" invariably results in 100s of preductable posts, often heated, always entertaining (re: the recent hamster thread).

Let the games begin! ;-)

Another issue with taking dogs on the Auto Train, even if it were allowed, is that the train doesn't stop. There is no way to let them out to walk around and potty.

It makes one stop in Florence, SC now for the smokers (and I remember reading about the original private Auto-Train that accepted pets at some points this was a stop where pet owners could let their animals out too).

And what if Pookie Wookie can't hold it until Florence?

Or if the train is delayed?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I see there's alot of interest. Re my doggies, the 2 of them weigh less than 20 lbs together. They've been trained since puppies to do their business indoors on doggie pads. I fold the pads up and put them in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Here in Boston in the winter they spend any number of days without going outside. I exercise them indoors in the basement with balls and stuff.

Honestly, I'm game for sneaking them on since the darn bill hasn't passed yet. What worries me is that I don't know the probability of getting caught BEFORE I board the train. I know I shouldn't be treating this in a light manner as it does go against the regulations, but, geez, there has to be some flexibility as we slowly approach the day in which pets will again be allowed to travel with the family. These are not German Shepherds. They're tiny, non-allergenic, quiet, potty-trained poodles who want no other thing than to be with me 24 hours a day.

Can we maybe do a poll without getting all heated up about it? If you guys, as Amtrak travellers who know the system, think I can pull it off - whether or not you agree with the policy - please answer "Go For It!" If not, say "Don't Do It!". I just need a ballpark idea of success so Granny here can decide whether to risk it. That's all folks, thanks!!

Please don't do it. If they find out you have dogs, you will be put off the train.

Please don't do it. If they find out you have dogs, you will be put off the train.
Agree. Is it worth the risk to be put off the train in the middle of nowhere without your car? And as for before boarding, the risk of possibly losing the money you paid for the train?

I wouldn't take the risk. I am assuming you are driving from MA to Lorton and the driving from Sanford to your destination? I would just add a day or two to the trip and do the whole drive yourself. Even with a couple more nights in a hotel and gas, you will save a bundle.

I say "go for it", YOLO. But have a plan B just in case. Maybe the conductor will take pity. Maybe not. Maybe you'll find yourself standing at some rural crossing, you and Precious waving bye bye to the train. Maybe not. Please let us know how you fare.

I say "go for it", YOLO. But have a plan B just in case. Maybe the conductor will take pity. Maybe not. Maybe you'll find yourself standing at some rural crossing, you and Precious waving bye bye to the train. Maybe not. Please let us know how you fare.

Not a good idea. Crews change. There will be more than one conductor. All that has to happen is that you have one that enforces the animal rules. Also, remember the conductors are expected, and more aptly required to enforce the animal ( and all other) rules. Do you really want to put someone in a position where he jepordizes his job if he takes pity on you?

And the car attendant as well. It would be difficult for me to believe that the SCA or some other person walking by your room would not notice your dogs. And if they do, you could be put off the train at the next stop...wherever that might be. :( I love my cat but would never take a chance on breaking an Amtrak rule against animals and risk the two of us being put off the train at a lonely stop in South Carolina. I would suppose my car would be in Sanford? the next morning and I would be "up a crick without a paddle". :eek:

Absolutely, DO NOT do it. Not only is it against the rules, it is not fair to the dogs or to other passengers and crew (who may be allergic to animals).

Ok, I see there's alot of interest. Re my doggies, the 2 of them weigh less than 20 lbs together. They've been trained since puppies to do their business indoors on doggie pads. I fold the pads up and put them in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Here in Boston in the winter they spend any number of days without going outside. I exercise them indoors in the basement with balls and stuff.

Honestly, I'm game for sneaking them on since the darn bill hasn't passed yet. What worries me is that I don't know the probability of getting caught BEFORE I board the train. I know I shouldn't be treating this in a light manner as it does go against the regulations, but, geez, there has to be some flexibility as we slowly approach the day in which pets will again be allowed to travel with the family. These are not German Shepherds. They're tiny, non-allergenic, quiet, potty-trained poodles who want no other thing than to be with me 24 hours a day.

Can we maybe do a poll without getting all heated up about it? If you guys, as Amtrak travellers who know the system, think I can pull it off - whether or not you agree with the policy - please answer "Go For It!" If not, say "Don't Do It!". I just need a ballpark idea of success so Granny here can decide whether to risk it. That's all folks, thanks!!
hipwazee, I understand your concerns and here are some points:

You could sneak the dogs onboard but there is risk.

-if you rode the train and someone told a crewmember that you had animals, you would be out in inclement weather with no mode of transport to get you safely to Florida. If you were kicked off the train it would be hard to arrange transport mid-trip.

- I would not entrust my pets to an air carrier or other ground transport unless you were with them during the entire trip. Apparently you cant fly and that is okay.

- there are car transporters that travel to Florida and you might hook up a ride with one of them. All reputable companies have drivers with pre-employment background checks and if you struck a deal with one, you could contribute to their gas expense. You're sure to find someone going to Florida from the northeast, this time of year. Check with Auto transporters

online in Boston.

- perhaps you know someone in the northeast that would like to vacation in Florida. You could encourage them to drive their car and you might compensate by paying the fuel expense for their car to your destination and for their return..

Hope that this helps.

I recommend driving. It will take a bit longer, but there are many pet-friendly hotels along the way. I wouldn't want to travel separately from my pets either. When Brent and I were discussing moving to California, my biggest concern was, "How will we get the cats there with the least amount of stress for them?"

http://www.pet-friendly-hotels.net/

Does anybody actually think Amtrak would drop off a senior citizen at some random station in the middle of the night for having two small dogs? I don't have pet experience or Auto Train experience, but I highly doubt that. If they found the dogs before travel, then it is believable.

Another issue with taking dogs on the Auto Train, even if it were allowed, is that the train doesn't stop. There is no way to let them out to walk around and potty.
So true, except for possibly the service stop at Florence, SC to change crews. I believe the crew would be accommodating at that location -- at least for service animals.

Such was the case on a recent trip I made on the CZ, when the conductor announced that there would be a single stop of the consist at the Winnemucca station for coach passengers, but the SCA got on the P.A. to request a double stop for the sleepers so that a service animal accompanying a passenger in the 32 sleeper could also get a bathroom break. That request was honored, and we were on our way again in about 2 minutes.

Does anybody actually think Amtrak would drop off a senior citizen at some random station in the middle of the night for having two small dogs? I don't have pet experience or Auto Train experience, but I highly doubt that. If they found the dogs before travel, then it is believable.
Who said anything about stations? Plenty of grade crossings on the AT route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back