Pacific Surfliner Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will be arriving in Los Angeles on the Southwest Chief next month. From Los Angeles, we will continue on to San Diego in Business Class onboard the Pacific Surfliner. Our Pacific Surfliner Business Class ticket specifies a particular train number. If the SWC arrives late and after our Pacific Surfliner train has already left, can we use our ticket to ride in Business Class on a later train? If the SWC arrives early, can we use our ticket to ride in Business Class on an earlier train? Any information – particularly that which is based on first-hand experience - will be greatly appreciated.

Eric & Pat

I believe you need to speak with an agent if you want to change trains with Business tickets, as Business is reserved. Last time I wanted to switch to an earlier train but unfortunately business was sold out.

If you appear to be likely to miss your train, call Amtrak reservations and see about rebooking. You may find they have already rebooked you. You will likely be reaccommodated in coach with your business class surcharge refunded, since business class is reserved and often sells out.

If your train is not terrifically late, you can always get off at Fullerton and catch the Surfliner there. That will save about an hour.

The Surfliner you are likely booked on is 768 which leaves LA at 9:55, and Fullerton at 10:26. Since the SW Chief is scheduled at 6:54 at Fullerton, you'd have to be well over 3 hours late for that not to work, although I would not try and cut Fullerton too fine.

PS, Amtrak now has a revised PDF schedule for the Surfliners dated April 30, 2021 up under "Destinations"

Thank you for this information. If we board at Fullerton, will our Business Class ticket still be accepted since it is for boarding in Los Angeles?
Yes, typically there is at least 1 station leeway before a reservation is canceled.

With that said, don't jump the gun, either.

Last edited:
If it looks like we'll be cutting it close and will have to get off at Fullerton, we will call Reservations to let them know. Thank you again for this information.

E & P
What Surfliner are you taking? I thuoght you were taking 768 which leaves LA a considerable amount of time after The Chief arrives

What Surfliner are you taking? I thuoght you were taking 768 which leaves LA a considerable amount of time after The Chief arrives
Considering the arrival times of the last few SWCs, 768 might be long gone by the time we arrive. At least we are now aware of some of the things we can do the salvage the situation if need be.

If my experience riding LAX-SAN maybe 5 years ago is any measure, not all Business Class on that route are the same. In particular, 'real' Surfliner trains have not only free beverages and free snacks (on a table in the car) but are also given a box of more treats like a granola bar + apple + chips, etc). They also have VERY spacious 2-1 seating on the lower level! Regular Amtrak BC is the standard Amfleet I 60-seat BC car, and only beverages in the cafe are free.

Is the PacSurf equipment tied to a train number or just rotated?
This is my guess on where a consist goes in three days based on what I know and the timetable

Day 1
Train 564 from LAX-SAN
Train 777 SAN-SLO

Day 2
Train 774 SLO-SAN
Train 785 SAN-GTA

Day 3
Train 768 GTA-SAN
Train 579 SAN-LAX

From that, I know the 777-774-785 turn is correct. The rest is speculation, although if that equipment isn't used for 768 I have no idea what equipment would be used.

After it serves as train 579, I don't know if it will continue or it will go in for cleaning. You can always study the San Juan Capistrano railcam to see every trains consist.

Just boarded in SAN, business class boards first with no zones. Zones are only for coach. Not sure how they’re doing it

Different snack box this time, it says JetBlue on the bottom.
No more Amtrak snack box? That's a shame -- the Surfliner's BC snack box has always been very good -- one of the best put-together products Amtrak has ever had. Maybe Jetblue was selling off a glut of expiring snack boxes from the downturn during COVID and Amtrak got them for cheap. Still, the Jetblue box doesn't look that bad.

No more Amtrak snack box? That's a shame -- the Surfliner's BC snack box has always been very good -- one of the best put-together products Amtrak has ever had. Maybe Jetblue was selling off a glut of expiring snack boxes from the downturn during COVID and Amtrak got them for cheap. Still, the Jetblue box doesn't look that bad.

I’m guessing the caterer sent a case of jet blue boxes to Amtrak and a case of Amtrak boxes to JetBlue.

This snack box was just as good.

And the attendant guessed what @crescent-zephyr guessed, he said that the caterer is the same and they accidentally send these instead. Both snack boxes are very good, I enjoyed them (Those crackers and cookies especially!)

Really not sure where to put this, but a friend tells me the superliner car's on Surfliner trains which are used for business class are now quiet cars.

Recently rode the Surfliner from San Diego up to Anaheim in Business Class. There were 2 BC attendants one of them had quite the attitude, she barked orders telling people how to board, and insisting that tables could ONLY be used for parties of 3 or more. The car was close to full, but the car up ahead, a superliner coach was also being used as BC. I had wanted to sit in the Surfliner BC car but since I couldn’t sit at the tables and nothing else was available I moved to the coach.

The snack box is not nearly as good as it used to be. I remember a branded box with lots of items from California. Now it’s just basic snacks but still a decent selection. I’ll post a picture.

“all we have is wine and coke what do you want” - they had a sparkling water that she seemed annoyed that I ordered. It was served Luke warm with no cup and no ice.

The train ride was of course beautiful as always and the operating crew was great. I still got a ocean side forward facing seat so I won’t complain too much but I was disappointed with the service. 1087964D-5CE0-425C-B236-6311D975D22C.jpeg

Back