Questions about Los Angeles Union & Indianapolis stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around and across from the station there appear to be a lot of eateries, any recommendations for somewhere within say 20 minutes walk, decent quality and not top end prices?
Getting back to the OP question, we‘ve only had maybe a half dozen same day connection in LA. It is such a magnificent station we have a hard time leaving it for a meal, especially in the evening when its restaurants are open (yes, for a 5am arrival on the Sunset you can’t beat Phillipes).

We like Traxx but it’s prices have gotten out of our comfort level, although its bar is a must for a nightcap before boarding the Sunset). We had mixed feelings about the Western Brewing company so I’m glad it has been replaced by the Homebound Brewhaus. It’s a great place for a meal and we like the looks of its menu. Another alternative is to get carry out at one of the eateries. We sampled several to get our dinner for the SWC (it had a limited menu at the time and happy to just collapse in our room after a tiring day) including a good bakery and nice wine. We thought this was a better options than stocking up on Metropolitan lounge snacks for a cross country trip (even if cost a few bucks).

Last edited:
As said, perhaps not with all our bags

Depending on how many bags you are dealing with, one idea to 'lighten the load' would be to ship 1 or 2 bags via UPS ground to your Washington area destination about a week before you'd arrive there. That way, you won't be trying to juggle multiple rolling bags and a back pack between LAX and WAS. Also, if travelling in a roomette between IND and WAS, there's very limited space for suitcases in Viewliner sleeping cars. With one person, a 'giant' suitcase can be put in the upper bunk. With two, about all that would fit would be a medium suitcase in the cubby above the aisle and 2 airline carryon size bags, one under each seat. The rest would have to be checked. In a Superliner (train #2/422), there's luggage storage downstairs next to the doors. There's much more open space in a bedroom for large luggage.

My shipping preference would be UPS. They have been flawless at shipping & receiving packages for me in the past 15 years. I both buy and sell on ebay regularly. The 'secret' to shipping luggage is to ship the 'light weight' items such as clothing and carry the heavy stuff. All package delivery carriers charge by the pound and by the distance (I think UPS divides the USA into 5 zones, so zone 1 to zone 5 would be the most expensive). Simply take a locked suitcase or two to the nearest UPS Store and they'll box them (for a fee) and send them on their way. If being sent to a hotel, make sure the box and/or label shows 'hold for' your name, and arrival date. They'll set them aside at the front desk and when you check in, ask for them.

Cross country via UPS ground would be 5 business days. I'd estimate that a 25 pound suitcase would be $45 to ship, plus another $4-5 to box up. UPS 2nd day air would be in the range of $85 or more.

Indianapolis station, entrance.

Is the Grand Hall the entrance/exit to the station? the one in W Jackson Pl with the imposing facade? Or is this divorced from the current Amtrak station?
I'm struggling to find after comments above where the entrance is, any clues please?

Indianapolis station, entrance.

Is the Grand Hall the entrance/exit to the station? the one in W Jackson Pl with the imposing facade? Or is this divorced from the current Amtrak station?
I'm struggling to find after comments above where the entrance is, any clues please?
The Indianapolis Union Station Great Hall at W Jackson Pl and Illinois St is part of the Crowne Plaza Hotel and is used as special event space. It isn't even used as the lobby of the hotel and is entirely separate from the Amtrak station.

The Amtrak station is on the other side of the railroad viaduct as well being on the other side of Illinois St from Indianapolis Union Station's headhouse/Great Hall. Its entrance is not grand. The Amtrak/Greyhound station is on the northwest corner of Illinois St and W. South St.Screenshot_20220222-203955_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much, that clears it up nicely.

It does look as though the dividing up of the old station is very messy, starting to get a flavour of what to expect.

Thank you very much, that clears it up nicely.

It does look as though the dividing up of the old station is very messy, starting to get a flavour of what to expect.
The Amtrak/Greyhound station is in space that used to be part of Indianapolis' Railway Express Agency facilities. While REA's facilities were part of the overall Union Station complex, all passenger facilities were on the other side of Illinois St back in the day.

Since you have luggage you will likely experience a bit of history. The elevator they will use to take you up to the platform if you don't want to climb the stairs is one of REA's freight elevators. It isn't self service, though it is automated. You will queue for it and an Amtrak staff member will take loads of passengers up until all who don't want take the stairs are up on the platform.

PS, my grandfather was the manager of Railway Express in Indianapolis and my mother worked there in her youth as well.

Last edited:
After having eaten at Philippe's a few times I felt that in the interests of fairness (and of visiting the Pacific Electric) I finally went to Cole's. However, I would not recommend it for the OP transfer as there is a lot of other stuff around it that you might want to see and it's at a bit of a distance from Union Station. Here it is:

P1050041.JPG

P1050040 (2).JPG
I went there after a walking tour of the grand movie palaces of downtown L.A. Plan for that and Cole's on your next trip!
P1050039 (2).JPG

Depending on how many bags you are dealing with, one idea to 'lighten the load' would be to ship 1 or 2 bags via UPS ground to your Washington area destination about a week before you'd arrive there. That way, you won't be trying to juggle multiple rolling bags and a back pack between LAX and WAS. Also, if travelling in a roomette between IND and WAS, there's very limited space for suitcases in Viewliner sleeping cars. With one person, a 'giant' suitcase can be put in the upper bunk. With two, about all that would fit would be a medium suitcase in the cubby above the aisle and 2 airline carryon size bags, one under each seat. The rest would have to be checked. In a Superliner (train #2/422), there's luggage storage downstairs next to the doors. There's much more open space in a bedroom for large luggage.

My shipping preference would be UPS. They have been flawless at shipping & receiving packages for me in the past 15 years. I both buy and sell on ebay regularly. The 'secret' to shipping luggage is to ship the 'light weight' items such as clothing and carry the heavy stuff. All package delivery carriers charge by the pound and by the distance (I think UPS divides the USA into 5 zones, so zone 1 to zone 5 would be the most expensive). Simply take a locked suitcase or two to the nearest UPS Store and they'll box them (for a fee) and send them on their way. If being sent to a hotel, make sure the box and/or label shows 'hold for' your name, and arrival date. They'll set them aside at the front desk and when you check in, ask for them.

Cross country via UPS ground would be 5 business days. I'd estimate that a 25 pound suitcase would be $45 to ship, plus another $4-5 to box up. UPS 2nd day air would be in the range of $85 or more.

That's a lot of very good ideas and info, thank you.

It's too late now to ship our bags but an idea for another time maybe. The bags are just 'very inconvenient' rather than we can't carry them. The thought of carrying them to a restaurant doesn't appeal much either especially if we have to be ready to run when near Indianapolis station...

Yes we are in a Roomette from Indianapolis to Washington, hadn't thought of check bags for that part of the trip but will do so now, very good info.

The HIGH temps travelling from LAX to WAS will be in centigrade 15-10-2-1 and we didn't bring any real winter clothes, so we are returning to Europe with more than we started with care of the Salvation Army just down the road from Milton's.
Rosie looks beautiful in her new hat with tassels, I will look a bit like a west coast rapper!

The Amtrak/Greyhound station is in space that used to be part of Indianapolis' Railway Express Agency facilities. While REA's facilities were part of the overall Union Station complex, all passenger facilities were on the other side of Illinois St back in the day.

Since you have luggage you will likely experience a bit of history. The elevator they will use to take you up to the platform if you don't want to climb the stairs is one of REA's freight elevators. It isn't self service, though it is automated. You will queue for it and an Amtrak staff member will take loads of passengers up until all who don't want take the stairs are up on the platform.

PS, my grandfather was the manager of Railway Express in Indianapolis and my mother worked there in her youth as well.

It's really good to hear some of the history behind the places, and that your grandad was an important person in the station setup.
It will make us view the station slightly differently, and remember your posts with the detail.

I will write something about the station after the trip but not sure if it will be from WAS or after we are back in France. It's all a bit rushed from now on and we don't have mobile wifi when on the move. It may be even later in March as we have a hurriedly arranged family event we must get to in the UK just days after getting back to France but I will get round to it at some point.

Thank you

Jamie - unfortunately I’m going to be on a road trip of my own over the weekend so I won’t be much help in Indianapolis.

Otherwise I’d have been more than happy to meet you at the station to show you around a bit and help you with your luggage.

There are only two issues with Indianapolis, everything else should be great. The first issue is what to do with your luggage, and the second issue is the general unpleasantness of Indianapolis Union Station. There’s nothing dangerous about it, it’s just not an overly pleasant place to spend time.

Other than that, there are literally dozens of restaurants within walking distance that range from good to fantastic. Years ago, it was a sleepy little town with very little to offer in terms of food. Basically, fast food and St. Elmo‘s Steak House. That situation has changed greatly.

I think the reason many of us are so condemning of the Indianapolis station is that it is a blight on an otherwise great city. The Union Station Great Hall itself has been restored beautifully, but the passengers coming into town are pushed off in a dark, dank place far away from that.

To throw salt in the wound, the municipal bus station and the airport are state of the art and at least the airport wins awards every year as a national favorite. The fact that they show such disregard for arriving intercity train and bus travelers is disappointing to say the least.

One final suggestion. Are you a rewards member at any hotel chain? If by chance you are, and that hotel chain has a location in downtown Indianapolis – you could always Uber or taxi to the hotel and ask them to store your luggage. As long as you make it clear you are a rewards member, I would bet they would be accommodating. And you could call ahead to be sure.

Enjoy your trip!

@IndyLions, thank you for saying "There’s nothing dangerous about it,..." So many people are quick to judge areas by their looks. I have walked through areas of cities that some here would say "stay away" but found them to be safe to walk through. Just be alert, which you should be in any given area (crimes do occur in high-end neighborhoods).

I second
St. Elmo Steak House as the place to go in Indianapolis. Historic & stately wining & dining destination known for its steaks & seafood, plus cocktail lounge.

Attachments

• St Elmo.jpg
    St Elmo.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1
Looking at the pictures on Google Maps, the inside of the Indianapolis station doesn't look too bad. If more trains stopped there, the $$ could be spent to tidy it up; Randolph Street Station in Chicago looked fairly dire in spots until it was remodeled and rechristened Millennium Station.

It seems to me that the problem is that there's no entrance from the north side of the station, so you have to walk under the tracks to get to the south side to enter or to get from the south side to most downtown destinations when you exit. The streets and sidewalks under the tracks don't seem different in Street View than the streets under Ogilvie in Chicago, but I don't know what the foot traffic is like, which is important for travelers and passersby to feel comfortable.

It therefore seems to me that an entrance on the north side of the station, fronting Louisiana St., would do a world of good.

*The most straightforward remedy would be an indoor entrance from the Crowne Plaza space into the waiting room.

*If the Crowne Plaza worries about mixing the hotel-guest sheep and the Amtrak/Greyhound goats :rolleyes: the second-best would be a new entrance on Louisiana St. leading into an indoor corridor to the waiting room. There's building frontage but no existing doorway at the corners of Louisiana and Illinois and Louisiana and Capitol.

If the Crowne Plaza won't do any of that, perhaps the Metropolitan Police could be prevailed upon to do it on their side of the building? There's a decent-looking entrance with an accessibility ramp at the corner of Louisiana and Meridian Streets. It's not ideal because it would require stairs and an elevator up to the platform, and passengers would have to use the platform as a corridor to go back down to the waiting room.

While I completely agree downtown Indy is generally safe, and pretty nice, I really do not like the area under that viaduct on Illinois St. It has little cubbies and potential hiding places that used to be storefronts and office entrances that are now abandoned. There isn't much pedestrian traffic because there really is not much of a reason to head from downtown to South St. It is also pretty long. I know I made a personal safety choice to take a cab instead of walking from a downtown hotel within easy walking distance to catch the Cardinal at 6 am because of that viaduct.

It is a constrained space with ample hiding places and little pedestrian traffic. To me, basic "big American city" precautions would dictate avoiding it at the odd hours when the Cardinal calls. I am not particularly fearful, for example, I have been on the NYC subway at 2 am several times, albeit in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Checked bags from Normal:

I seem to remember that checked bags are not processed on Thruway buses, that any baggage interaction with these buses has to be we load and retrieve our own bags into or under the bus (at least that is our experience so far elsewhere in the US).

So logically does that preclude us from checking a couple of bags at Normal (staffed station at the time of arrival) through to Washington as we get off the Texas Eagle?

ps: This is a question with an obvious answer methinks

And now I'm envisioning a spinoff thread on Great Sandwiches in Amtrak Cities. French dip in LA, Primanti Brothers' in Pittsburgh, anywhere for a po' boy in New Orleans, a Philly cheesesteak, and more. Even a vegetarian can dream.
I grew up eating French dip and love them. Those that do need to try the "true" Chicago food, Italian Beef.

I need to read all of the messages before I reply. :)

Checked bags from Normal:

I seem to remember that checked bags are not processed on Thruway buses, that any baggage interaction with these buses has to be we load and retrieve our own bags into or under the bus (at least that is our experience so far elsewhere in the US).

So logically does that preclude us from checking a couple of bags at Normal (staffed station at the time of arrival) through to Washington as we get off the Texas Eagle?

ps: This is a question with an obvious answer methinks
Checked baggage is not generally accepted on Thruway bus segments. The only exception I know of was the SFC connection in Emeryville, and SFC no longer has checked baggage (or staff. Or a building). The bus driver usually helps load the bags beneath the bus though.

They may accept them, but they would not be routed the same as you are. They would go on the Eagle to Chicago, then on the Capitol. They would not go on the Eagle you arrived on, but the next day's train, since by definition having just arrived on the train you will miss the 45 minute cutoff. So the bags would arrive the day after you do.

I do not know your layover time in Normal, but at many stations the ticket/baggage counters are closed at train time because the staff is working the train. So you would have to have sufficient time before the bus leaves for them to open back up.

Finally, while historically Amtrak has not had any issues with different routings for bags than passengers, I have been hearing lately that at least some agents are not allowing it. That is little more than rumor and should not be treated as fact, though.

Last edited:
Jamie - unfortunately I’m going to be on a road trip of my own over the weekend so I won’t be much help in Indianapolis.

Maybe 3rd time lucky.

Enjoyed your view on IND station and surrounds, it all sounds do-able providing we don't get unlucky and that can happen anywhere in the world.

We do have reasonable antenna re atmosphere in places unknown to us, so far back streets of Naples got our attention big time.

We don't take too many chances these days but it's good for people to point out what's good and bad, the rest is down to us to decide on the spot.

Shame we will miss meeting again, I'm sure we'll be somewhere at the same time in the same place.

Enjoy your weekend away even if it's work, to us travelling anywhere at the moment is a bonus and we feel alive again.

There's a White Castle right by the Indianapolis station. An American (especially Midwest) tradition!

The station/waiting area isn't nice. But I've always found it quaint.

There's a White Castle right by the Indianapolis station. An American (especially Midwest) tradition!

The station/waiting area isn't nice. But I've always found it quaint.
Yes. I got the impression that if I had asked about whether they had many vegan items on the menu, the police would have been called. 😀

Back