Questions about Silver Star trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some questions from a first timer. I am traveling in a group of 10 people, starting from south of DC to Florida this summer. I'm imagining it will be a full train.

1. What is the likelihood that we can sit together, or at least in the same car? I know the train starts in NYC, is this where the majority usually board? Or is it DC?
2. We will have two pieces of Amtrak carry-on sized luggage apiece. Is it likely that we will be able to carry it all on, or will it have to be checked? The two stations we are going from/to have checked baggage service, but there is concern that it may not get off the train with us.
3. Are all seats forward facing?

All the seats are forward facing. Tell the attendant you wish to all sit together. He will do his/her best to accomodate you depending on the fullness of the train. You can probably bring everything you have on board with you. Extremely large luggage may have to be checked.

How about a red cap to pave the way?
Somewhere "South of DC" indicates no. No station south of DC has red cap service.

Train will be fairly full south of DC, doubt 10 seats together are really feasible. If purchased through group sales and there is a group of 10 on the manifest, they might block space. If it is a couple of separate reservations, unlikely.

Last edited:
Back