Questions Cap Ltd and Card trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
Any advice or info?

• I found info on the most scenic sections of the eastbound Cardinal in another thread, but where are the most scenic stretches on the westbound Capitol Limited? Anything to especially watch for on the Crescents both ways? I've done the Crescent to WAS before but it's been a while.
Washington:

• Assuming we don't arrive too late, what is the best way to get from the station to the Vietnam War Memorial and back? By best, I mean simple and quick. I've already decided I was insane not to schedule a day in WAS, but too late now. So many places I'd like to visit or re-visit, hoping to at least see the Wall again and grab a couple of virtual caches.
  • Suggestions for a good place for lunch very close to the station (or Wall, if we get there), doesn't have to be fancy. I know we can find a place inside the station if needed.
Chicago:

• Willis Tower observation deck-- How much time does it usually take to buy tickets, go up, and get back on a Saturday? How much time would taking a taxi save over walking there and back?
  • Assuming we arrive nearly on time, would a water taxi ride after Willis Tower be feasible? About how much time would that likely take, erring on the cautious side? Not a must but might be nice.
  • I'm looking forward to finally visiting Union Station! Is that our best bet for lunch, or do you have better suggestions nearby?
Charlottesville:

• I think we can store our bags in the first class lounges in WAS and CHI for a couple of hours, but do you know if we can store them in the CVS station?
  • Looking at the geocaching map, I'd like to go a little west of the station to the Jefferson Rotunda at UVA, and possibly east to the theater/carousel area. Easiest way to do that (bus? taxi?). Any other suggestions for CVA? I think Monticello would be a stretch (arriving in afternoon if on time)--your thoughts? I can be paranoid about missing the train.
  • Suggestion for dinner nearby? Our connection is around 9 p.m. so I'm thinking that's a little late for dinner on the train.
Much to my surprise, one of my friends instantly expressed interest in my trip, so now she's planning to go with me. :) All the layovers are scheduled to be several hours. We know that if the train arrives late, all our layover plans may go out the window, but I'd like to plan for the best.

Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Planning is a part of the fun!

Thanks- One of the WGW's

CL - The ride to Harper's Ferry

Willis Tower is so close I doubt a taxi would save you time. It's only about 2-3 blocks, depending on where you exit CUS, to the east. Take Jackson St across the river. Then look up to see the ledges. :)

If you're on AGR tickets (I think you said you are except for the first/last stop), call AGR and add your friend to your reservation. If you don't mind her sharing your rooms, your award includes her rail fare and meals also - at no additional cost! :)

Willis Tower - A taxi may be even longer. Union Station is on one bank of the Chicago River and Willis Tower is on the other bank 1 block away!

If you like Chicago stuffed pizza, try Giordano's on Jackson Avenue - almost across the street from the Willis Tower.

In CVS, there is/was a Buffalo Wild Wings next to the station. If the Crescent is on time, the time I boarded going south had "last call" as I boarded. And if you have a room, it's included.

A Blue: I appreciate the info. Those ledges make my hands sweat just looking at a picture of them! If I'm brave I might get one foot onto the transparent floor. haha Any idea how long getting tickets and going up and back down the Tower might take us? Long lines?

I'll watch for Harper's Ferry coming up on the CL--thanks.

Thanks also, traveler. I called AGR and added her earlier today. At first they were going to issue her an open ticket, but they said because of ATN (?), they needed to cancel and reissue my reservations. They did all that while I was on hold and told me later. They said they "made sure" the sleepers didn't get sold while they were doing this. Whew! I had called last night to see if it would even be possible to add her if she decided to go, and was told to not cancel and rebook because the sleepers might be sold during the process, but to do an open ticket instead. Very relieved the changes all worked out.

The roomette's going to be tight for two, but we'll do OK with it. I don't have enough points to get separate rooms. She's still amazed that I could add her and she would get meals at no extra cost, too. Gotta love AGR.

As an FYI, I had no trouble booking the awards from and to ATN the other day. (two 2-zone awards) No mention of the circle rule and no discussion of how many zones, really an easy and pleasant procedure.

The Chicago pizza sounds just right! Unless we get really hungry in CVS, we might take your suggestion and just have a late dinner on the Crescent.

Also, on the CL, the ride up the Potomac river valley between Martinsburg, WV, and Cumberland, MD is nice. If the train is on time, you may even catch the Sand Patch Grade in daylight. The CL climbs Sand Patch Grade upon departure of Cumberland.

C'ville free trolley connects all points mentioned except Monticello - no time for that even though it's only a few miles. The agents will keep your carryons, maybe $4 each maybe not. The #19 diner is still open at CVS unless it's quite late which is rare. Many restaurants from downhome to haute cuisine nearby.

At WAS I eat at the Indian restaurant in the food court every chance I get. It's very satisfying. :) .......but you'll get dinner on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest way between Washington DC Union Station and the Vietnam War Memorial is a taxi IMHO. Walk out the main entrance of Union Station and you'll find plenty of taxis.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

Sears Tower timing will just depend on the time of day and day of week. If you are in on a weekend it could be pretty crowded, especially if it is a clear sunny day. I live in the Gold Coast just a couple blocks form the north end of Michigan Ave. and the tourist hordes have definitely invaded the city now the the weather has (finally) turned. It is hard to predict, but if it is a weekday you will probably won't have too long of a wait.

Couple of ideas for CHI:

The John Hancock Center Observation Deck(the tall Black Building)over on the Miracle Mile is usually less crowded than the Willis Tower! You can buy your tickets on Line, check it out on Google! Perhaps you could take the Boat trip back to Union Station if you decided to do the Hancock instead of the Willis Tower!

As far as food goes,if you don't like Deep Dish Pizza, Lou Mitchell's is a very popular longtime joint close to Union Station and has great Breakfasts and Lunches! Al's Roast Beef is also close by, very good sandwiched and accessories!Google em up!

Greektown is just to the East of Union Station. Lots of good joints there also and the Food Court upstairs in Union Station is convient, cheap and quick!! ( the Chinese food place was Lunch Central last year for some of the AU Group and the Gold Coast Chicago Dogs and Brats are delicious!

Lots of the usual chains around too like McDonalds, Subway etc bit its Chicago, save that for home! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
A gold mine of info! Thanks, all!

The food selections all sound good. Yeah, we will definitely prefer something Chicago-ish for lunch. Good to know about the CVS trolley, I was hoping there would be something like that. Taxi will be good in WAS. We're really hoping our arrivals aren't too late to do a tiny bit of exploring during the layovers.

Jim, the Hancock and boat option sounds like fun, but the Willis Tower observation deck is also a virtual geocache. :) That's my second reason for especially wanting to do that one, besides the obvious and its being so close by. There are a couple of real caches near the station or the Tower, but they are micros and those go missing fairly often. They can also be troublesome to even look for when there are lots of people around all the time, as I would expect on the streets of downtown Chicago. The virtual would be a sure thing, if I have time to get up there, snap a picture, and get back to the station, on top of being a cool thing to do.

Does anyone have a ballpark guess as to how long it would take to buy the Tower tickets, go up to the deck for a few minutes, and get back to the station on a summer Saturday? 2 hours? Longer?

We can get fast-track tickets online, but they are $40 each, and then we still have no way of being certain that we'll have time to use them. We want to spend a little time oogling Union Station.

I appreciate all these great suggestions! Neither of us is the least bit familiar with CHI or CVS.

You don't give a time frame of your trip, so I will try to cover multiple possibilities, but will assume it is in the near future.

When I took the Cap, it seemed like the right side of the train had better scenery out of DC. The Potomac River is on the right for more of the trip and the mountainside is fairly close on the left with a fair amount of tree cover so there wasn't as much to see on that side. I recall there is a large CSX (that or maybe NS, I don't remember exactly) yard on the left side of the train just before Cumberland if you like that sort of thing. I did it in winter so it was getting dark before we got to Cumberland. Looks like after Cumberland, the rivers are more on the left side of the train. Not sure how much of that will be in light with the mountains around.

DC:

Assuming you are coming in on the Crescent to WAS, you may want to be on the left side of the train, if you can, as you will be able to see the city as you cross the river and the Washington Masonic Temple in Alexandria right across from the station. As I recall, most of the rest is just trees and suburbs (including my neighborhood on the left in Springfield) until Alexandria and then you travel in an area behind buildings but not close enough to the river to really see anything there until the Potomac crossing. After that, the train is mostly in a covered trench and tunnel, so not a whole lot of note to see unless you like urban infrastructure.

Depending on your activity level desired, you may want to consider a 1 day capital bikeshare plan to get to the monuments around the mall. (www.capitalbikeshare.com). It is $7 for the day and each ride has a free half hour at the beginning. If you are not familiar with the concept, you pick up bikes at stations and drop them off at other stations, so you don't have to worry about locking up a rental or finding a place to store/park it. There is a station just outside union station and another near the Vietnam memorial (21st NW and Constitution NW). That area of the city is mostly flat and the distance between is only 2.6 miles (google estimates 17 minutes on a bike), so it would probably be comparable to or possibly faster than a taxi depending on the traffic in that area and you will be able to bike on the large paths along the mall and get in some extra sight seeing.

I've never eaten in Washington Union Station, so I can't speak to whether any of those are any good. I'm sure they are fine. I do like and suggest you consider the Mitsitam Cafe in the American Indian Museum (There is also anther capital bikeshare station nearby (Maryland and Independence Ave SW) The food is different from what you'll find a lot of places and I think the best among the museums (I have not eaten at the museums in a while though and I know they have been making efforts to provide better options). The place is buffet style with stations so you can pick what you want and it is reasonably quick depending on the time of day.

Another good option in my opinion is Hill Country bbq's pop up at the National Building Museum (5th st NW and F st NW). They run a more limited menu (http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/assets/file/HCDC-Summer-Barbecue-Flyer-6.3.pdf) than the main location that isn't much further away (http://www.hillcountrywdc.com/menu), but I have found the crowds at the building museum to be lower than the main restaurant and it is fairly quick due to the limited menu as well. These are the only places I am familiar with that are quick and not crazy expensive near the area you want to be in. It has been several years since I tried to have lunch near the mall, but at the time it was rather difficult to find things that were not just hot dogs from a cart or McDonald's. From looking around, this cafe (http://westwingcafenjdc.com/lunch_sandwiches.html), this place (http://www.allmenus.com/dc/washington/277979-billy-goat-tavern--grill/menu/), and this restaurant (http://www.viewmenu.com/art-and-soul/menu) have pretty high ratings and are in the immediate area of the Station or along the route to the Memorial, but I have no experience with them.

CVS:

In Charlottesville, Maya (http://www.maya-restaurant.com/) is right near the train station and was very good when I ate there a year or two ago. We didn't go to any of the others near the station. That said, L'Etoile (http://www.letoilerestaurant.com/) and Continental Divide (http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/108-charlottesville/restaurants/853101-continental-divide/menu) are also right next to the station and get good reviews.

The rotunda is just under a mile away from the station and right down the main street of town, so if the weather is nice and you are up for it, it is a pleasant walk. No big hills, just the one the school is on at the end. If there is a big game at UVA or it is graduation time you will probably want to plan on walking there as the traffic will be rather crazy.

I didn't try to store bags in CVS, but as there is baggage service at the station, they may hold bags for you.

I second the recommendation to forget about Monticello. While I think it is worth a trip, it is rather inconvenient to do it quickly and without a car. It is just far enough out of town to be a hassle and the place is big enough for you to not really get a sense in just an hour or two. Also depending on the time of year, the road there can get jammed with people going to Carter Mountain Orchard. I've been in traffic in late summer/early fall that lasted for at least an hour to get by the mountain entrance which is before Monticello. If you plan a longer trip, Ash-Lawn Highland is also right there and is being restored so you can see the process and the before and after if you are into history.

Hope you enjoy your trip

Springfieldian, thanks a million for your suggestions and additional info.

I have a bicycle that I ride occasionally, but I don't think my friend has been on one in decades, so the bike plan is probably a little too adventurous for this couple of retired ladies. Sounds like fun, though--unless those bike lanes are adjacent to traffic, that is!

We'll check out the eating places you mentioned, lots of good ideas there.

Keep your fingers crossed that we have enough layover time to explore for a couple of hours in each city. Thanks again~

Definitely take a cab to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I've done the walk a few times, and it is quite a hike. I'm also notoriously thrifty and didn't want to spend cab fare when my legs could carry me. I'm older now and my wife would be able to do what is basically a slow trot to the wall and back to Union Station. Right across from Union Station, in the old Post Office, is a great brew pub and restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back