Questions - Never been on a train before

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathy

Hi-

I'm taking my first train trip this coming Monday from New York to Miami (silver star), and i have a couple of stupid questions that i hope someone can help me with.

1- What is a train expeerience like? Do you think i will get bored?

2- i'm staying in the viewliner sleeper, is it comfortable?

3- I have some safety concerns, should i be worried?

4- Do they play movies in the monitor in the sleeper?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi, glad you've decided to take the train. What accomodations do you have? (Standard, Deluxe, or Accesible).

They have 2 Channels of Movies in the sleeper. You might want to bring a book just in case you think you'll find yourself bored, but there are movies and typically friendly people in the Diner and the lounge. Your meals are included in the diner. I wouldn't worry about safety. The Viewliner is fairly comfortable. If you're alone, I reccomend sleeping on the upper berth as the ride will be smoother while you sleep.

And no question is stupid, especially when traveling for the first time. :) B)

Enjoy your trip.

Kathy,

I can't really answer your first question, as each person has different ideas about what they find interesting. During the day there is usually plenty to see out of the window, plus since you are staying in a sleeper you get all of your meals free in the dining car. So that will help to break up the day as you head to that car for your meals.

I would also recommend bringing a good book or a few magazines, if you like to read. Additionally the answer to your 4th question is yes, so that can also occupy your time. All rooms in the Viewliner have small LCD TV screens; your attendant should show you how to make them work. If not ask him or her. The TV has two channels 4 & 5 and has a variety of movies, regular TV comedies, and cartoons on each channel. They generally run a movie, followed by a comedy, then a cartoon. The movies are just released to Pay Per View. So they are not in the theaters anymore, but they haven't been released to the video stores yet. The tapes are looped, so if you wait long enough you can see the same show again.

All sleeper rooms have 4 windows, two larger ones side by side at waist level and two smaller ones side by side at head level. When the upper bed is down, you can still look out of the upper windows while lying in bed. The Viewliner sleeper cars that you will be traveling in are in my opinion the nicest and brightest in Amtrak’s fleet.

Personally I find the Viewliner sleeper to be very comfortable. I'm assuming that you are staying in the standard bedroom and not the deluxe. So you will have two seats in your room, a toilet, and a sink. The attendant will make the seats up into a bed a night, or you can sleep in the upper bunk if you prefer. The choice is yours.

As for safety, I'm not sure which way you are interpreting that question. Train travel is far safer than either plane or automobile travel is. Or were you referring to safety while on board the train. Your belongings should be quite safe in your bedroom, as coach passengers are not allowed in the sleeper car. You should however place any valuables like a camera out of sight when you are not in the room. Also never leave your purse or any money in the room, always take that with you.

At night you can look the door of your bedroom for security. You can only lock the bedroom door however, if you are in the room. The door cannot be locked when you are not in the bedroom.

The sleeping car attendant will put out a supply of juice, soda, and coffee for you. Note that Amtrak’s contract is with Pepsi, so only Pepsi products are served. They also last I knew would put out some fruit. Beyond that if you want snacks, you either have to buy them in the lounge or bring them with you. The lounge does server some alcohol, but I would not call it a full-fledged bar.

Finally you may want to check out this list of hints and tips from Prodigy’s On Track On Line. The list which you can find by clicking here is chocked full of information for Amtrak travelers.

I hope that helps some, please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. :)

Thank you so much for all the information!

I'll let you all know how my travels go!

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi,

The above posters said it all; I just wanted to assure you that it will be a great trip. I took my first Amtrak trip last summer; it was amazing. The other people on the train, not to mention the scenery (even dull scenery) make it interestng. It's a part of Americana that I hope survives. We seem to be losing so much in our culture; let's hope trains are here to stay.

you might like reading some of the travelogues at this site or at www.trainweb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back