Questions on Poughkeepsie and Albany Amtrak stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be in New York State in late October (depending on whether it is safe to travel at that point, of course) and would like to have lunch in Poughkeepsie at one of the restaurants by the river. I see a few that are close to the station.

However, the one time I was in that station, the only way I could see to get down to street level was a three-flight set of outside steps that I know I cannot manage (I am not good with heights and felt wobbly just standing at the top).

Is there any other way to get down there? I did not see an elevator but there might be one?

If there is, what is the walk like to the river restaurants? Easy walking? Or rough/no sidewalks?

If those aren’t possible, and I need to stay in the station, is that nice snack bar (made to look like a trading post) still open?

Final question is about Albany—is that wonderful cafe in the station still open?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I believe there is an elevator in the Poughkeepsie station. I avoid elevators and embrace stairs, so I know the many times I was there, I took stairs. A few years back, OTOL had a group dinner during a railfest at Mahoney's Irish Pub which is pretty much in the station parking lot. I think everyone there enjoyed their meals and drinks. According to their website, they are open now.

I cannot answer your question about the cafe in the Albany station. Hopefully someone who has traveled recently will be able to answer.

I believe there is a level walkway from the station to Main St. To get to the river, it's a pretty good downgrade from the station. I don't know the condidition of the sidewalks.

I believe there is a level walkway from the station to Main St. To get to the river, it's a pretty good downgrade from the station. I don't know the condidition of the sidewalks.

I took a look on Google Street View, and I can confirm this. There are elevators from the platforms up to "station level," and the walkway runs on that level. There is also at least one elevator within the station parking structure to go between "station level" and "ground level" (which appears to be a better way of getting to the aforementioned Mahoney's than using the walkway to Main Street).

Poughkeepsie also has escalators from the platform up to the overpass over the tracks. There used to be a small "cigar shop" type place on the south end of the waiting room, but I don't think it operates anymore.

There is a parking garage on the west side of the station. The bridge over the tracks connects the station to the garage. There are elevators from the track level up to the station. Platforms are high level. I'm fairly sure there is an elevator in the garage as well but have never explored that area so don't know for sure. If there is it would get you down about three floors I believe and basically be at river level.

I know nothing about what's on the other side of those two stations. But, I took great joy seeing Poughkeepsie, and Albany signs on the stations as we rolled through on the LSL. A couple of places along a route I never thought I'd see, and only because of a late running Zephyr was I able too. I wish we could visited the other side.

I believe Poughkeepsie is end of the line for MNRR, (Croton-Harmon for electric) I know folks drive down from North or West to take the train into the city for various reasons (well, not lately) My really far North friends (Plattsburgh) drop the car at Albany and come in Amtrak to go to Broadway, and stay a night or two. (again, not lately) Albany has lots of parking, including long term.

Thank you all for the replies, which were all helpful. It looks like Mahoneys is the most manageable, so I will go there if they are still doing outside seating and doing correct distancing/mask procedures. Otherwise I see they have takeout, so I could do that and bring it back to the station and look at the river from one of the outside benches.

Jim, you’re right— I did stay at Poughkeepsie when you all went back to NYC. I took the Ethan Allen up to Albany because I was afraid to be in NYC at night. I stayed overnight there and came back in daylight the next day.

There is a parking garage on the west side of the station. The bridge over the tracks connects the station to the garage. There are elevators from the track level up to the station. Platforms are high level. I'm fairly sure there is an elevator in the garage as well but have never explored that area so don't know for sure. If there is it would get you down about three floors I believe and basically be at river level.
There is an elevator in the parking garage at Poughkeepsie. I have used it many times. The food places on the west side of the station are Wheelchair accessible from the platforms of Poughkeepsie Station, without needing to go around through the station head house.

Unfortunately the Albany stop was not the usual half hour duration so I didn’t have time to go in. It looks like it’s expanded dramatically since the last time I was in there though so I’m sure there are options, but definitely Poughkeepsie has more to work with. Also Hudson has a lot of restaurants on Warren Street but I’m not sure how far the station is and it’s probably an uphill walk.

Not 100%, but I think all of the of the trains going West of Albany (except the LSL) keep the DM all the way now and that shortens time in Albany ADK going North used to swap, sometimes adding/dropping a coach, but that stops in ALB now so that is moot. Don't recall what EA did.

Not 100%, but I think all of the of the trains going West of Albany (except the LSL) keep the DM all the way now and that shortens time in Albany ADK going North used to swap, sometimes adding/dropping a coach, but that stops in ALB now so that is moot. Don't recall what EA did.

Interesting.... must be different going east, because the Maple Leaf eastbound had a lengthy stop about a month ago

Unfortunately, my friend and I have decided to cancel the trip for this year.

Trying to work around the Amtrak schedule changes, plus not being sure if any states I would be traveling through might have increased virus numbers and go back into visitor quarantine, makes the whole trip sound more like an obstacle course than a relaxing visit to see a good friend.

We will try again for next year.

Meanwhile, I thank you all for the information, and I am very glad to know that the wonderful cafe at ALB is still there. Hopefully I will see it next fall—maybe even earlier if we get a vaccine earlier and I feel more comfortable traveling.😊

Unfortunately, my friend and I have decided to cancel the trip for this year.

Trying to work around the Amtrak schedule changes, plus not being sure if any states I would be traveling through might have increased virus numbers and go back into visitor quarantine, makes the whole trip sound more like an obstacle course than a relaxing visit to see a good friend.

We will try again for next year.

Meanwhile, I thank you all for the information, and I am very glad to know that the wonderful cafe at ALB is still there. Hopefully I will see it next fall—maybe even earlier if we get a vaccine earlier and I feel more comfortable traveling.😊
Sensible Patty! 😷

Back