Questions re: Reserved Coach vs. Coach vs. Unreserved Coach onboard the Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some questions regarding the differences between reserved coach, coach, and unreserved coach on board the Capitol Limited.

When we made our reservations in previous years, we requested reserved coach seats for our passages onboard the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Toledo and from Toledo to Chicago. The Capitol Limited e-ticket we were sent in 2018 specially indicated 2 Reserved Coach Seats. When we boarded the Capitol Limited in Chicago (eastbound) and Toledo (westbound) the conductors gave us specific seat numbers where we were to sit, and we were always seated together.

This year, when we made our reservations last January, we again requested reserved coach seats for the Capitol Limited. However, the e-ticket we received indicates 2 Coach Seats. We called Amtrak and spoke with an agent and were assured that we did, in fact, have reserved seats.

This morning, we received the e-mail from Amtrak regarding the return to selling full seat capacity on most trains beginning May 23rd. Since we’ll be traveling at a time when the Capitol Limited trains are usually sold out, to be on the safe side, we called Amtrak and again spoke with an agent. Once again, we were told that we do have reserved seats.

Our questions are (1) Why doesn’t our e-ticket indicate reserved coach seats? (2) When we board our trains in Chicago and Toledo, will the conductors know that we have reserved seats, and will we be given seat numbers that seat us next to each other?

Getting seats together in Chicago shouldn’t be too much of a problem since the train originates there and we will also be taking advantage of early boarding. In Toledo, however, we don’t want to discover that, due to some misunderstanding, we don’t have reserved seats and/or won’t have seats together.

Your comments, please.

Eric & Pat

It is my understanding that all coach seats on the Capitol Limited are reserved.

Very few trains are unreserved any more. The Pacific Sufliners outside holidays and maybe the Hiawathas? I know the Northeast Regionals went to reserved many years ago.

Unreserved means they do not guarantee a seat at all. Reserved, in Amtrak-ese, means there will be a seat for you on the train, someplace. You won't have to stand.

The long distance trains have always been reserved.

The thing that bothers me is back in the days of railroad operation, "reserved" meant a seat assignment. On Amtrak, it only means there will be a seat, somewhere on the train. It is up to you by yourself/the coach attendant/the conductor to find one for you, who of the three possibilities will do that depends on the crew and the process at the boarding station. I have no idea how they do it in Toledo on the Capitol. Boarding procedures vary tremendously. Amtrak hasn't done seat assignments since the mid 70s. Except for recently on the Acelas.

Everyone with coach tickets on the Capitol is equal. All the seats are "reserved" and all the seats are unassigned. If they're stopping using the reserved nomenclature, I think that's a good thing, it's misleading. But it changes nothing.

With that said, with regard to your situation, many car attendants block certain rows for parties of 2, other rows for singles. Still other rows for parties of 3 or more. There is no rule saying they have to. The practice is fairly common, at least on the western LDs I am most familiar with, but far from universal.

Last edited:
I believe the Keystones are going back to unreserved seating. My ticket from ELT-PHL in September indicates unreserved. The Keystones were always unreserved between Harrisburg and Philly before COVID-19…

As stated above, you will have seats. In Chicago they may tell you which car, but not which seats, based on your destination- especially since you’ll be detraining late at night. This is to reduce disturbing sleeping pax when others are getting off and on the train.
In Toledo they may assign you seats as you board - based on how full the car(s) are. If you’re both on the same reservation they will assign two seats together.

Do they assign coach seats to people getting on in Pittsburgh?
The one one time that I boarded the Cap at Pittsburgh to travel to Cleveland, I was assigned a seat before I boarded, by the Conductor who scanned my ticket before boarding. I have no idea whether it was a special red carpet rolled out for me that day or it is the general practice.

In Amtrak "reserved" really means guaranteed seats, as in you won't have to stand in the aisle (something I had to do in the unreserved era on the IL Zephyr from Macomb when school break started). I think the term "reserved" confuses people who don't ride a lot because it means something different on airlines.

In Amtrak "reserved" really means guaranteed seats, as in you won't have to stand in the aisle (something I had to do in the unreserved era on the IL Zephyr from Macomb when school break started). I think the term "reserved" confuses people who don't ride a lot because it means something different on airlines.
AFAK "reserved" means the same thing in airlines. In addition some airlines do pre-assigned seats, while others do the cattle call boarding, with some boarding priority, where you board and grab a seat.

It is my understanding that all coach seats on the Capitol Limited are reserved.
There are two methods of 'reserved seating' one is by seat number and one is by capacity. The one by seat number will randomly assign any specific seat. You may get an aisle or a seat with a piller blocking the view. One can not always change to a better seat for viewing. Many don't like random assigned specific seating. Not being able to see the scenery defeats the purpose of taking the train.

The one one time that I boarded the Cap at Pittsburgh to travel to Cleveland, I was assigned a seat before I boarded, by the Conductor who scanned my ticket before boarding. I have no idea whether it was a special red carpet rolled out for me that day or it is the general practice.
I can add that that was my experience in Pittsburgh as well.

My partner and I routinely (pre-COVID) would use the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited for the 90 minute ride home from Chicago to South Bend. We would often get to Union Station 9:00 to 9:15ish and be some of the last people to board, generally we were able to seat together (I can only think of getting a seat number once or twice, on only the Capitol Limited), but a few times the crew hadn't saved enough (if any seats) for parties of 2 and had to double-up across the aisle from each other. Once on the Capitol Limited they told us just to go to the Sightseer Lounge car.

The time we were sent to the Sightseer Lounge I emailed Amtrak about that, saying that it seemed like the crew was being lazy and that had paid for coach seats not lounge seats, but 10 minutes later the conductor came throgh and offered us regular seats, and clearly wasn't happy with the coach attendants being lazy about not seating short-haul passengers and sending them to the lounge because it was easier for them.

Other time I didn't have seat was when I once got on the Southwest Chief late in the boarding process in Kansas City in coach going to La Junta with a crew overwhelmed by Boy Scouts who had also just boarded the train going to Philmont Ranch and was told to go to the lounge car. I eventually got a coach seat on the aisle (that was the time that I was originally assigned one seat next to a smaller woman not near the staircase and was then switched to another seat next to a larger man across from the staircase - my favorite - with the coach attendant saying "Men need to sleep next to Men" (I now know that's techically illegal under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act)). I remember the crew telling a mother and son going to some intermediate stop in Kansas that they weren't going to be able to find them two Seats together and encouraged them to write to Amtrak for compensation.

Actually, I'm planning to ride it from Pittsburgh to Washington, and am curious whether the same procedure is used for trains going east.

I wish Amtrak would allow single travelers to purchase the seat next to them. If there was any positive about the pandemic was the guarantee of two seats to yourself. Riding Coach overnight in recent years I have had obese people sitting next to me,passengers that had body odor and a guy who hit me up for money. I love riding and being the roomette prices are so high I am forced to do overnight Coach on the train I usually take to transfer to the Western trains in Chicago,the Capitol Limited.

I wish Amtrak would allow single travelers to purchase the seat next to them. If there was any positive about the pandemic was the guarantee of two seats to yourself. Riding Coach overnight in recent years I have had obese people sitting next to me,passengers that had body odor and a guy who hit me up for money. I love riding and being the roomette prices are so high I am forced to do overnight Coach on the train I usually take to transfer to the Western trains in Chicago,the Capitol Limited.
You're not alone with such wishes... but many of the coach attendants have quite an 'attitude' and even if you purchased the seat, they would let someone with there.

So my worst encounter with a 'seatmate' was a gentleman of great size... who had quite a case of flatulence. The 'aroma' was suffocating! Fortunately I was able to use the SSC until he finally got off. Some of that stench remained with the seat. Ugh! 🥵 :mad:🤮

I
You're not alone with such wishes... but many of the coach attendants have quite an 'attitude' and even if you purchased the seat, they would let someone with there.

So my worst encounter with a 'seatmate' was a gentleman of great size... who had quite a case of flatulence. The 'aroma' was suffocating! Fortunately I was able to use the SSC until he finally got off. Some of that stench remained with the seat. Ugh! 🥵 :mad:🤮
I think a better idea would to have a premium coach option with assigned 2:1 for long distance passengers.

Back