Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie

MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD WAS STARTED BY A GUEST IN THE GUEST FORUM. SAID GUEST LATER BECAME A MEMBER AND STARTED A SIMILAR THREAD IN THE MAIN FORUM. THE TWO THREADS HAVE BEEN MERGED INTO A TOPIC IN THE MAIN FORUM.

Hi,

My name is Jamie. I will be traveling with my husband, Louis to NYC from Denver on the California Zephyr & Lakeshore Limited. He has a power chair so we have reserved a handicapped seat.

Does AMTRAK take seats out for his power chair & will I be sitting next to him or behind him? Does the seat have an electrical socket?

I have a cpap machine because of sleep apnea. Im afraid to disturb the other passengers. Should I still use it?

My husband will want to shave. Where can he go to use the electric shaver?

We have to transfer in Chicago, where are the best places to eat outside/near the station or is it best to stay inside the station?

Last edited:
I assume you are going coach, not in a room.

On the LSL (which is a single level train), there is space near the end of the car that has no seats. It is a wheelchair space. Right near it is a seat you can use. Both of these have power outlets. On the CZ (which is bi-level), there is a similar setting on the lower level.

There is a handicapped rest room nearby on both trains.

There are restaurants within a block or two of Union Station, but there's also a food court inside of Union Station.

I hope you have requested/will request a handicapped discount. BOTH of you will receive a 15% dIscount! (Louis being handicapped, you being his companion.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best picture I can find of coach floor plans.

tumblr_llbxzfyX3D1qhess9.png

There should be enough space for a wheelchair in that empty space on the lower level - across from the luggage stow space. Not sure about single-level cars though.

There is plenty of space for one wheelchair in that space on both kinds of cars. I usually ride facing the window. When there are two chairs, it helps if you are both friendly so you can work out the space. Often there is luggage stored in the wheelchair area that needs to be moved, Amtrak will take care of this for you.

I assume you are going coach, not in a room.

On the LSL (which is a single level train), there is space near the end of the car that has no seats. It is a wheelchair space. Right near it is a seat you can use. Both of these have power outlets. On the CZ (which is bi-level), there is a similar setting on the lower level.

There is a handicapped rest room nearby on both trains.

There are restaurants within a block or two of Union Station, but there's also a food court inside of Union Station.

I hope you have requested/will request a handicapped discount. BOTH of you will receive a 15% dIscount! (Louis being handicapped, you being his companion.)
Yes, we are going coach. He requested a handicapped seat & told them he has a power chair. I am going as his companion.

Thank you for the diagrams & thank you all for the replies.

I just need a reply for the cpap question & the shaving question.

We are looking forward to our trip.

We are leaving on the 10th of May from Den, transferring in Chi to go to NYP. We will be in NYC until the 22nd. Then going back the same way we came.

Hope to see you guys on board.

The Amtrak website has a section on this subject, and it is worth reading. They do point out that there are 2 options, for collapsible devices and those that do not. Also, weight and dimensions are discussed.

On your Superliner coach on the Zephyr, your assigned seats will be numbers 73-74.

The accessible restroom is the closest to these seats.

Powered wheelchairs are sometimes very large, but I have never seen one that couldn't be maneuvered in the space available.

The sliding door to the lower level seating area will stay open for several seconds before closing on its own. Check with the car attendant and ask about the hold-open switch, in case you need a bit more time to get through the door.

I don't anticipate any problems. Your coach attendant should be able to give you any help you need.

Tom

I believe that on Superliner equipment there is an outlet at every pair of seats, on the wall, for the CPAP machine. I am not sure about the single-level viewliner equipment, though.

Also, if you have not done so, it might not me a bad idea to speak with an agent on the phone about your situation. Have your reservation number handy if you do.

And do enjoy your trip!!

As for shaving, there are outlets in the bathrooms that your husband can use.
What about the noise the shaver makes? Wont the conductor or passengers wonder what it is?
Nah. People pretty much expect to hear other people shaving. The outlets even have stickers that say something like "Electric Razor Only". (You aren't supposed to use hair dryers and other things that pull more power.)

Another question:

I noticed on the menu that the children get mac & cheese. Can adults get mac & cheese too?

Does anyone know if the cafe car serves warm pretzels?

Hi,

I posted these questions in the guest forum but now that I am a member, I thought I would ask them on the Member forum. I have added a few questions too.

My name is Jamie. I will be traveling with my husband, Louis to NYC from Denver on the California Zephyr & Lakeshore Limited. He has a power chair so we have reserved a handicapped seat. We have coach seats.

Does AMTRAK take seats out for his power chair & will I be sitting next to him or behind him? Does the seat have an electrical socket?

I have a cpap machine because of sleep apnea. Im afraid to disturb the other passengers. Should I still use it?

My husband will want to shave. Where can he go to use the electric shaver?

I noticed on the childrens menu that they have mac & cheese. Can adults have mac & cheese too?

Does the cafe car serve warm pretzels?

When I purchase a soda on the train does it come in bottles or cans only?

We have to transfer in Chicago, where are the best places to eat outside/near the station or is it best to stay inside the station?

This is the best picture I can find of coach floor plans.

tumblr_llbxzfyX3D1qhess9.png

There should be enough space for a wheelchair in that empty space on the lower level - across from the luggage stow space. Not sure about single-level cars though.
The diagram for Amfleet II is obsolete. The ADA seat is now a double seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question:

I noticed on the menu that the children get mac & cheese. Can adults get mac & cheese too?

The cafe does not serve warm pretzels.

Another question:

The answer to the mac and cheese question is: It depends. ;) In some cases adults can order off the kids' menu; other cases not. I have been on trains where both scenarios take place. One of those cases where it depends who you ask.

The cafe car doesn't so far as I know serve warm pretezels. They do have the bagged type (Rold Gold) of pretzels however.

That is up to you. Some of the new machines are very quiet. Be advised there may be times without power.

Hi,

When I purchase a soda on the train does it come in bottles or cans only?

Since most of the other questions have been answered, I'll field this one. The sodas are canned.
And Pepsi products. If you prefer bottled sodas and/or Coke products, feel free to bring them with you. You can get cups of ice in the cafe car.

Are you asking about noise? I don't know much about them. However, my sister, who uses one and accompanies me on bike tours, often shares a motel room with me. I've never notice any noise. In fact it is a major improvement over the snoring before she got the machine. ;)

Now if I could just figure a way that she doesn't have to drag all that distilled water on the back of her bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back