Quick Trak Machines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuppb001

Train Attendant
I have not noticed if this was posted in another thread or not if so you may delete this post or merge but I recently traveled SAV-TPA and noticed that neither stations have QuickTrak machines. I wanted to print my e-ticket to let my friend traveling with me have an physical paper ticket. The agent in Savannah says they have been removed except in the northeast. When did this occur??

The Quik-Trak machine at the Oakland Coliseum-Airport station was removed, apparently because of vandalism.

http://www.on-track-on-line.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29118

Removal of Quik-Trak machine from Oakland Coliseum station

Due to excessive acts of vandalism to the Oakland Coliseum station Quik-Trak ticket vending machine (TVM), we have removed the TVM from service. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you're boarding from this station, you may purchase your ticket from the conductor onboard the train without any additional fee. If you are over the age of 15, please note that you need a valid, government-issued photo ID to purchase tickets and ride Capitol Corridor trains.

A passenger service notice was issued at some point in October 2015 indicating a large number of the Quik-Trak machines would be removed from service in November 2015. TPA and SAV were among the 28 removed during that period. As BMJ indicated, with E-ticketing taking off, it probably wasn't worth the expense.

The only place I could see them as still being useful would be stations with frequent service and a tendency for people to buy walk-up tickets (i.e. NEC, and CA corridors). Machines at stations with only LD trains would probably not be worth the upkeep. I haven't used one in years. IMO it's less of a loss than removing agents (and therefore checked baggage service).

Well the only problem is (from my perspective) the elderly, who may not have cell phones &/ or a printer at home to print their tickets, my grandma always has a paper ticket, even though I handle the ticket on my phone, having that assurance is nice for her. Luckily she has the good fortune to have a printer.

Well the only problem is (from my perspective) the elderly, who may not have cell phones &/ or a printer at home to print their tickets, my grandma always has a paper ticket, even though I handle the ticket on my phone, having that assurance is nice for her. Luckily she has the good fortune to have a printer.
My dad is older, but has a strange relationship with technology. He used various computer systems for his work for years and could manage that along with several printing systems. However, with all this new stuff he sometimes just throws up his hands. He's called me up to go over and help before because he couldn't get his printer to print something from a web page. It was just that the printer was reset to the default, which was to create a Microsoft OneNote document. He couldn't figure out how to select the actual printer, especially since there were other options like the FAX function of the Canon multi-function machine I got for him.

He's got several iPads too, but he yelled at me when I let it update the apps. He basically didn't want anything to change or have to relearn how to use any apps that slightly changed the way they work. At this point he doesn't want to change a thing.

The whole world is moving on with or without those who are technology challenged, so with fewer and fewer stations keeping their Amtrak staff, it also becomes harder on these same people to find a place to have their tickets printed. With the APPs and on line ticketing, the majority of passengers never deal with an Agent. Amtrak will need to have a solution, but don't see one on the horizon.

You only need your name to have the conductor find your reservation and lift your ticket. It is not a solution they want to be SOP, but if needed, they can do it.

The whole world is moving on with or without those who are technology challenged, so with fewer and fewer stations keeping their Amtrak staff, it also becomes harder on these same people to find a place to have their tickets printed. With the APPs and on line ticketing, the majority of passengers never deal with an Agent. Amtrak will need to have a solution, but don't see one on the horizon.
I don't see a conflict between the removal of Quik-Trak machines and the technology gap. QT machines are essentially ATMs which don't dispense money, and while many older folks use them just fine, many more do not and have no desire to. My parents lived their entire lives without ever using an ATM and gave people who suggested they could get cash by using a machine funny looks that suggested a "why would I want to do that" response. The pre-generated PIN mailers they received went in a drawer with the cardholder agreements they never read, either. As technology increased and the card activation routine became automated, they left it to me to perform that task. They loathed "talking to machines".

I suspect people who have issues with technology will be using the telephone to make reservations and purchases (with an agent other than 'Julie'), and will request that printed versions of eTickets be mailed to them. Or, alternatively, will visit a station to have that done.

The only place I could see them as still being useful would be stations with frequent service and a tendency for people to buy walk-up tickets (i.e. NEC, and CA corridors). Machines at stations with only LD trains would probably not be worth the upkeep. I haven't used one in years. IMO it's less of a loss than removing agents (and therefore checked baggage service).
I still use them in places like CHI Union Station so that I can have a readmission pass to the Metropolitan Lounge since they've stopped handing the pre-printed ones out and, currently at least, use highlighters to mark eTicket printouts---or Quik-Trak ticket printouts.

The station at Spokane still has one. I'm at the station now as a matter of fact. There are of course ticket agents at Spokane and even with the loss of tickets agents that is happening within Amtrak's system I don't see that changing any time.

I'm not sure when Qick Trak machines came in, but they definitely do now feel dated. I expect the software and hardware have similarly reached a point in their lifecyles that they are costly to maintain.

Maybe this contributed to the decision.

I suspect people who have issues with technology will be using the telephone to make reservations and purchases (with an agent other than 'Julie'), and will request that printed versions of eTickets be mailed to them. Or, alternatively, will visit a station to have that done.
Amtrak will not print and mail an eTicket. For those who have absolutely no way get printout or electronic copy of their eTicket, if they at least can remember their own name, that is all the conductor needs. He can pull up the manifest on his device, find the reservation, mark it lifted, and they are good to go. As I said previously, Amtrak does not want conductors to have to do this with everyone because more time consuming than simply pointing the scanner at a code, so they don't advertise this capability, but I've seen it done multiple times.

I would think Amtrak would not want this happening without a Photo ID for security purposes. I know in the Sleepers if you don't have your ticket readily available they just pull you up and mark you.

But they well print and mail a regular paper ticket, time permitting.Also, if boarding at an unmanned station with no machine, you can even pay on board with the penalty waived.
I thought that could only be done on routes that are "unreserved" like Capitol Corridor or Pacific Surfliner. I did that once just because I never tried it before. The conductor first started chewing me out for wasting his time since I had a smart phone and he asked me if I had the Amtrak app (which I did). Then as he wrote up the ticket he spent a lot of time explaining what all the notations on the ticket meant. Go figure.

The conductor first started chewing me out for wasting his time since I had a smart phone and he asked me if I had the Amtrak app (which I did). Then as he wrote up the ticket he spent a lot of time explaining what all the notations on the ticket meant. Go figure.
Sounds like he experienced a quick progression from annoyance to nostalgia.

Cap Corridor is the only one where you can use a credit card, the others would be cash. The more common process is pay in advance using your credit card and just having the resv pulled onboard if there is no possible means to get the ticket. The explanations are on the website, This is not universally available.

The main reason I'd imagine for wanting to be able to print is that one would have computer access but not necessarily access to a printer. In that case definitely write down the reservation number and give that to the conductor. Bring ID and they'll generally be able to handle it.

Seriously though. In the era of computers and tablets, the Quik-Trak interface is extremely clunky and the displays slow. I know the technology is pretty old though compared to what you can get from modern tablets or computers. However, automated airport kiosks seems to be more responsive than QT.

Back