Quick trip on Coast Starlight from LAX to SEA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Business class passengers get to wat after all the sleeping car passengers have eaten. Several announcements were made about this. So lunch was around 1:45 and dinner 7:45.

I had the brie cheese empanada. It was ok. The steak was same as before with fried onions and mashed potatoes replacing polenta. I skipped dessert. No salads offered or served.

Attachments

• 69C300F1-96FF-4E23-9434-C359CCBC4F45.jpeg
    69C300F1-96FF-4E23-9434-C359CCBC4F45.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • CA816944-BDAE-44EA-8D4C-D5B62FDDF86E.jpeg
    CA816944-BDAE-44EA-8D4C-D5B62FDDF86E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I walked through the business class car. The seats are similar to those used in BC on the midwest corridor trains. Two seats on each side of the ailse. Each seat was occupied. The only reason to go bc imho would be access to the diner. It would be no more comfortable than regular coach.
I am going in BC later this week. Appreciate your info ! Is there access to drinking water at all times on this train?

If you have breakfast out of K. Falls, try to get seated on the left hand side of the diner for views of the lake, At this time of year the migratory birds won't be there but it's still beautiful.

The other thing on the left above the lake is the Klamath River - did you see any eagles?

Business class passengers get to wat after all the sleeping car passengers have eaten. Several announcements were made about this. So lunch was around 1:45 and dinner 7:45.

I had the brie cheese empanada. It was ok. The steak was same as before with fried onions and mashed potatoes replacing polenta. I skipped dessert. No salads offered or served.
You are being too nice, the Emapanada straight up sucks.

We pulled up to Oregon City and sat some more. Then an announcement that the electric wires would be cleared by 9 pm. The crew goes out of service at 7:11.

Dining car seatings were pushed back an hour. My 5:30 became 6:40.

Yes. We arrived at 8:20. We Did not leave until 10:45. The Amtrak app mentioned that the engine needed an inspection. I assume that there was not a rested crew available. We departed and sat some more before choosing the Willamette river Bridge. I fell asleep and woke up after we pulled into Seattle. This was at 3:25 am. Not sure how long we had been there. The SCA was coming for me when I exited the room.

I was grateful I booked the embassy Suites at Pioneer square. That hotel is perfect for train travelers. I was in my room, showered, and in bed by 3:45. I got up and ate breakfast atv 7:45. Then I slept some more until 11:00.

I ubered to the airport and Ate lunch and am now waiting for my United flight. The aircraft is at the gate. So hopefully, the last leg will be on time.

Yes. We arrived at 8:20. We Did not leave until 10:45. The Amtrak app mentioned that the engine needed an inspection. I assume that there was not a rested crew available. We departed and sat some more before choosing the Willamette river Bridge. I fell asleep and woke up after we pulled into Seattle. This was at 3:25 am. Not sure how long we had been there. The SCA was coming for me when I exited the room.

I was grateful I booked the embassy Suites at Pioneer square. That hotel is perfect for train travelers. I was in my room, showered, and in bed by 3:45. I got up and ate breakfast atv 7:45. Then I slept some more until 11:00.

I ubered to the airport and Ate lunch and am now waiting for my United flight. The aircraft is at the gate. So hopefully, the last leg will be on time.
Wondering why you used Uber instead of Rail to the Seattle Airrport ?

Personal preference. I
Also to avoid the hike on foot from across town across the entire parking lot structure with bag and baggage in tow, to get from the station to the terminal I bet. ;) At least for me, that is one reason I use Uber to SeaTac. Of course the other is, as was often the case, when my meeting was in Renton by the Boeing plant (hosted by them of course :) )... well there is no rail anywhere nearby.

Last edited:
Also to avoid the hike on foot from across town across the entire parking lot structure with bag and baggage in tow, to get from the station to the terminal I bet. ;) At least for me, that is one reason I use Uber to SeaTac. Of course the other is, as was often the case, when my meeting was in Renton by the Boeing plant (hosted by them of course :) )... well there is no rail anywhere nearby.
I forgot about having to schelp your bags thru the Parking Garage to reach the Terminal and the Light Rail stop @ Sea-Tac.

I forgot about having to schelp your bags thru the Parking Garage to reach the Terminal and the Light Rail stop @ Sea-Tac.
It’s 1000 feet or a 5 minute wait for a shuttle cart. I could walk the distance almost as fast as It took me to figure out the ticket purchase. That’s probably just me, more brawn than brain,

Back