Rail Pass: LA to Seattle coast starlight, etc.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeets

Train Attendant
I did it! I bought my rail pass and got my “segment” tickets today! Though I have been riding the rails many years this will be my first time to use a rail pass! I’m just riding just for my love of the train!! What have been your favorite memories of cross country train travel? Here’s my trip!!! 1. LA to Seattle; Coast Starlight... one overnight in Seattle. 2. Seattle to Chicago; Empire Builder. 3. CHI to NYC; Lake Shore Limited....one overnight in NYC. 4. NYC to New Orleans; Crescent... one overnight in NO. 5. NO to CHI; City of NO. 6. CHI to Emeryville; Coast Starlight. 7. Emeryville to Portland, Coast Starlight, one overnight in Portland...... and 8.... Portland home to LA!

I did it! I bought my rail pass and got my “segment” tickets today! Though I have been riding the rails many years this will be my first time to use a rail pass! I’m just riding just for my love of the train!! What have been your favorite memories of cross country train travel? Here’s my trip!!! 1. LA to Seattle; Coast Starlight... one overnight in Seattle. 2. Seattle to Chicago; Empire Builder. 3. CHI to NYC; Lake Shore Limited....one overnight in NYC. 4. NYC to New Orleans; Crescent... one overnight in NO. 5. NO to CHI; City of NO. 6. CHI to Emeryville; Coast Starlight. 7. Emeryville to Portland, Coast Starlight, one overnight in Portland...... and 8.... Portland home to LA!
Will you have legs in sleepers or business class?

Nice itinerary, but are you sure you can duplicate a segment? Segment 7 is a train that you've already taken. I realize the endpoints are different, but you're still retracing your steps in the same direction, whereas Segment 8 would be no problem. Pretty sure this used to be a no-no.

In addition to seconding Willbridge's question above, I'm also curious if you plan to try booking this online as opposed to with an agent. Please advise of your progress.

I’m pretty sure you must book with an agent, who I think will say that #7 is not allowed. Yes, you can have 2 segments on the same train, but you would have 3 (#1, #7 and #8). A way around this is to not request #7 at all, then separately purchase #7 - since #7 cost less than #8!

I Purchased my rail pass online Then went to my local station where it was printed out for me. Then I gave the agent my written itinerary I would like… She made the tickets for me and I am set to go!

I Purchased my rail pass online Then went to my local station where it was printed out for me. Then I gave the agent my written itinerary I would like… She made the tickets for me and I am set to go!
Oh, and coach all the way.

Thanks! I dont know if the agent didnt know any different or the rules have changed but I am happy!!!

Back