Rail running for elite status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calwatch

Lead Service Attendant
Although for this blogger, the point is not access to Amtrak lounges, but the ability to triple points through transfers to Choice Privileges for cheap redemptions in places like Europe.

http://freequentflyerbook.com/blog/2015/7/15/is-rail-running-for-you

I don't understand the "two tickets in one direction" rule, though - my understanding was that you did not receive additional points if you stayed on the same train number. You had to ride four separate train numbers in order to get credit for four trips and meet the minimum requirement. I know members on this forum do "rail running" during double and triple points days like National Train Day, so it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks.

Although for this blogger, the point is not access to Amtrak lounges, but the ability to triple points through transfers to Choice Privileges for cheap redemptions in places like Europe.

I don't understand the "two tickets in one direction" rule, though - my understanding was that you did not receive additional points if you stayed on the same train number. You had to ride four separate train numbers in order to get credit for four trips and meet the minimum requirement. I know members on this forum do "rail running" during double and triple points days like National Train Day, so it would be interesting to hear your experiences. Thanks.
The "two tickets in one direction" refers to buying a ticket from A to B, but use two trains for the trip. For example, a trip from Philadelphia to Lancaster (PA) costs $16 regardless of how many trains are used. If you book using multi-city, you can use one train from Philadelphia to Paoli, wait an hour there, and then board a second train from Paoli onward to Lancaster. The cost is still $16, but you get two trips, each providing 100 Elite Qualifying Points.

You can also ride LD Trains that have two Sections with different numbers, ie #22 AUS-TAY/ then #422 TAY-TPL. Same thing on the return, #421 TPL-TAY/#21 TAY-AUS, thus 4 "trips" with 400 TQPs.

( but only 2 qualify for Double or Triple Points)

( works with #1/#421/#2/#422, #8/#28/#7#27/#48/#448/#49/#449 for ×2 or ×3 also!)

Of course others have explained it as requiring different train numbers but the same route. I chimed in there to mention buses count as a segment.

Back