Rail stations at Airports

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, which is the cheaper and often faster way to get to Diridon from the airport. Going by Caltrain you run the risk of hourly trains on the weekend.

The relatively easy way around that is to take the Rapid #522 bus downtown at the Santa Clara Caltrain station, which will stop within a couple-minute walk to Diridon. Not sure if it's faster than #60 to the light rail station to Diridon.
IMO, that's gotten way too complicated for a typical traveler. Most people don't want to deal with a city bus to the airport.

I talked to a member of MODOT, (Missouri Department Of Transportation). He said they had talked about s possible Amtrak Station at Lambert St. Louis Airport for a possible St. Louis-Moberly-Kansas City Amtrak Service.. He said the possible service would run over Norfolk Southern from St Louis to Carrollton, Mo and BNSF from (Carrollton to Kansas City, the same trackage the Southwest Chief uses). 83 percent of Missourians in a recent poll said lthey wanted additional Amtrak Service in the State. Don’t know if it will happen but the fact that they have considered it is a glimmer of hope.
I would think that if Missouri wished to expand their passenger service to the entire state, instead of adding a semi-parallel route between St. Louis and Kansas City, they should first consider adding a route through Springfield to Joplin, which could eventually connect to Tulsa and Oklahoma City…🤷‍♂️

I would think that if Missouri wished to expand their passenger service to the entire state, instead of adding a semi-parallel route between St. Louis and Kansas City, they should first consider adding a route through Springfield to Joplin, which could eventually connect to Tulsa and Oklahoma City…🤷‍♂️
That was because of the uncertainty of the current STL-KCMO Route There were some siding issues were Amtrak Trains were constantly delayed because one particular siding. The State was looking at a alternate route if this issue didn’t get resolved.The State pitched in along with Union Pacific and that portion is now double tracked. The State did look into a St Louis -Springfield Mo Train. The conclusion was the trip would have taken five hours and you can drive it in 3/12 so the State decided against funding the train.

IMO, that's gotten way too complicated for a typical traveler. Most people don't want to deal with a city bus to the airport.
Austin Voters had approved a Multi-Billion expansion of our Light Rail System ( we currently only have one Route, The Red Line Leander to downtown Austin )with a Line from Downtown to the Airport as part of the Plan.

Now Cap Metro has decided to NOT run the Line all the way to the Airport but have the last stop be 3 Miles Short of the Airport on Riverside Dr.🤪

This leaves the Cap Metro Bus that runs every 30 minutes from the University of Texas, thru Downtown to the Airport via RiVerside Drive and Highway 71, as the only Public Transportation to/from the Airport.

This route is mostly used by Airport Employees, but I have found it to be a very conviement way to access the Airport for $1.75 each way.

Still, with the Very Heavy Traffic on all of these Streets, a Light Rail Route is the obvious choice here!

I agree, but from my experience in San Jose the 60 and (either the Rapi 522 or the VTA light rail) are rather frequent. I'm all for non-stop experiences between airport and rail stations, and ideally a rail station at the airport - but that's unlikely to happen in San Jose without pouring a ton of concrete.

When San Diego Airport offered "shuttles" to the trolley, it turned out to be much worse than San Jose. Because the San Diego bus shuttles were funded by FAA and airport funds, they couldn't leave the property - so you had to get dropped off at a specific bus shelter that's on the way to the rental car facility (on airport property), then walk three blocks (crossing a busy Pacific Highway at a stop light) before boarding a trolley. At least the newer bus goes directly to Old Town Transit Center.

FRA ( Frankfurt) Germany has the DB rail station literally in its bowels easy trip to downtown I've stayed at a hotel ( hotel kaiserhof) a block from the main rail station forgive my spelling. Haputebhanhof.
Frankfurt airport has two separate train stations. There is the architecturally impressive one with the curved glass roof that we often see pictures of, which is served by high speed trains and other intercity services to all over Germany and beyond, and there is a completely separate and less spectacular older station served by S_Bahn / commuter trains for local trips, located in a totally different part of the airport. Although the connection between the two stations can be a bit of a trek, it is fortunately well signposted. The online DB journey planner does consider this a legitimate connection and I have been routed that way several times.

Frankfurt airport has two separate train stations. There is the architecturally impressive one with the curved glass roof that we often see pictures of, which is served by high speed trains and other intercity services to all over Germany and beyond, and there is a completely separate and less spectacular older station served by S_Bahn / commuter trains for local trips, located in a totally different part of the airport. Although the connection between the two stations can be a bit of a trek, it is fortunately well signposted. The online DB journey planner does consider this a legitimate connection and I have been routed that way several times.
I think the previous poster was referring to the latter. The high speed station is at ground level as opposed to the description and I agree with your assessment, having just revisited it recently. It is a beautiful structure and extremely busy.

Until relatively recently (2019-ish?) only airport fees and funds could be used on things at the airport for the airport. You couldn't use airport cash to build direct transit stations because Federal law didn't allow it. That's also why airports in the USA have all these weird gadgetbahns between airports and transit. (I don't know how the Portland MAX and Chicago "L" got around that; the city could have just ponied up the cash to outright build it.)
Portland's airport Red Line was partly financed by the real estate development at Cascade Station. Also, the majority of its mileage had already been built for the Blue Line. I worked on the original study for a consultant to the Port of Portland in 1972, but it would have been a stand-alone project back then. As events unfolded it became easier to implement.

Back