RailCamp

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I was accepted into the NRHS RailCamp a while back, and as it's getting close, I'm lookibg forward to it. Does anybody have any previous experience with RailCamp? I'm going to the Newark Delaware camp, and they mentioned the Acela simulator. They also mentioned the GG-1 and Strasburg 475, as we'll be going to Strasburg a few times. Also they mentioned a day trip to WAS.

I would love to hear more about this too!! I think my son would love to attend next summer. How far in advance do you need to apply?

This sounds really great for High School kids who love Railroading. See quote below.

2017 Session SchedulesRailCamp East (Newark, Del.): June 25-July 1.

RailCamp Northwest (Tacoma, Wash.): July 30-August 6.

About the ProgramsRailCamp East - Newark, Del. - Amtrak, a longtime NRHS partner, will host campers at its High-Speed Rail Training Facility and National Operations Center in Wilmington, DE. Students will be exposed to the daily operations of America’s intercity passenger railroad. Students will also spend two days in Strasburg, PA at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and the Strasburg Rail Road, where they will learn about the daily operations of a historic steam railroad and the restoration of steam locomotives and vintage passenger equipment through hands-on experiences. Students will explore the railroad museum’s extensive displays of railroad equipment and artifacts, and campers will learn about the unique history and culture of Pennsylvania’s railroads and the influence they had on the growth of the United States. Lodging and meals will be provided at the University of Delaware in Newark, DE.

RailCamp Northwest - Tacoma, Wash. - Amtrak will host students for a day at the newly-renovated King Street Station in Seattle, WA and its adjacent maintenance facility. Students will visit the operations center of Tacoma Municipal Belt Line (Tacoma Rail) and participate in a working intermodal operation. The Northwest Railway Museum at Snoqualmie, WA and the Mt. Rainier Railroad and Logging Museum at Mineral, WA will also host the students for historic railroad experiences, where campers will help with preservation activities, physical plant maintenance, and train operations. Additional time at Seattle’s Sound Transit commuter rail facility will provide students with insight into commuter and light rail transit operations. Lodging and meals will be provided at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA.

Applying to RailCampThe program is open to high school boys and girls who are currently freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors (class of 2017). Individuals who enter their freshman year in 2017 will also be eligible to participate.

The cost for attending either camp location is $1,290 per camper, including a non-refundable $50 fee when an application is submitted. Transportation arrangements and expenses are the responsibility of the camper. Scholarships are available, but do not cover transportation. Applicants do not have to be NRHS members to attend.

Trainfanmom and Lonestar, I will ask a family friend who is the head of his local NRHS chapter who organizes rail camp.
Thank you so much. I'm wondering if it is difficult to be accepted. And does he need to be a member of a local chapter?

I would love to hear more about this too!! I think my son would love to attend next summer. How far in advance do you need to apply?
check the NRHS website. Application is usually made through local NRHS chapters. The program is designed for high school aged kids.
My son will be a freshmen in September so this is perfect. It looks like you can apply through the NRHS website and membership is not required. But I'm wondering if it would help him to be a member (I'm sure he would love that anyway). There are no local chapters near us but the website says I can gift him a Student Membership to NRHS directly.

Trainfanmom,

I am currently returning home from Boston on a personal matter. I will reach out to my friend tomorrow and ask him any questions you may have. Please feel free to drop me a PM with any questions.

Steve

Also they mentioned a day trip to WAS.
That usually involves a trip to Ivy City, where you typically visit 29's consist, the High Speed building, the S&I building and on some occasions, the PM/repair shops. If time permits, you'll breeze through the control center and K tower before returning to Wilmington.

Another thing they have done is bring the exhibit train and other pieces of equipment behind the training center.

I showed the website to my son last night and he really wants to apply for next summer. We are West Coast so the Washington location would be much easier to get to. But he was drooling at the description of the one in DE ;)

Norfolkwesternhenry, I can't wait to hear about your time there!

Trainfanmom,

I am currently returning home from Boston on a personal matter. I will reach out to my friend tomorrow and ask him any questions you may have. Please feel free to drop me a PM with any questions.

Steve
Thanks so much! PM sent.

I went to the Tacoma one last year, and it was absolutely awesome!

Amtrak was just one day, and all six (vs. the five for East) were awesome, and may or may not include throttle time on a steam locomotive ;)

The volunteers are great.

If you have any general questions, I'll try to answer them or ask friends who have attended East. I'm attending Northwest again this summer.

I don't think the exhibit train is appearing at the rail camp. However, I think the campers will enjoy the accommodations on their ride to WAS and back. :ph34r:

Getting the campers interested in Railroading, learning the safety aspects, is the beginning. Some will have a strong desire to be part of Amtrak, others will want to be part of a Freight company, and others will learn that they like railroading but only as a hobby. Out of this camp could be some excellent talent looking for a career with Amtrak. If timing had been different, I might have sent one of my grandsons to camp. The more who know about the camp the better it will be come.

I went to the Tacoma one last year, and it was absolutely awesome!

Amtrak was just one day, and all six (vs. the five for East) were awesome, and may or may not include throttle time on a steam locomotive ;)

The volunteers are great.

If you have any general questions, I'll try to answer them or ask friends who have attended East. I'm attending Northwest again this summer.
My main question is if you have any advice on how my son can better his chances of being accepted. I did receive some good information already, but I'd love to hear any advice you have. He would most likely attend Northwest, since it is closer.

Back