Railfan window

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
So when I was on the EB last year, going through the cascade tunnel, I was standing at the rear window, with a powerful flashlight to light uo the tunnel. There was a bar across the diaphragm, so I couldn't walk off the end of the train. I was tempted to try and open the door and stand of the rear, between the bar and the door, because it looked like there was enough space. Could I have done this, or would the door have been locked. Amtrak doesn't have rules about this (that I know of) for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty sure that under normal circumstances that door will be locked.

If you look at cars such as inspection cars that actually have a rear viewing platform that you can officially stand on while the train is moving, there is much more than a simple bar to prevent you falling off.

Not to mention the fumes in the tunnel in question are very irritating at best, deadly at worst...

So when I was on the EB last year, going through the cascade tunnel, I was standing at the rear window, with a powerful flashlight to light uo the tunnel. There was a bar across the diaphragm, so I couldn't walk off the end of the train. I was tempted to try and open the door and stand of the rear, between the bar and the door, because it looked like there was enough space. Could I have done this, or would the door have been locked. Amtrak doesn't have rules about this (that I know of) for obvious reasons.
Not locked, but disabled so only those authorized to open the door can do so.

I hope it's not locked.... That's an emergency exit!

I do hope it's disabled so no one can just press the "push" button and open the door.

Good grief, Henry.

If we are ever on the same train, remind me to not ask you for directions if I get lost. ("How do I get to the dining car?" "Right this way, lady--just remove the bar put up there to keep you from falling out and we'll drop a picnic onto the tracks for you.....") :giggle:

Quite seriously, though--please don't put yourself in positions where you can be hurt, or go where no one knows where you are or if you are in trouble, on a train or elsewhere. We want you around for a long time! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back