Railroad Alaska

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The passenger train Conductor and OBS person that appear in the show were both on the train I was on a few weekends back . They are really nice and friendly folks, and I got to know them well during the ride from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back.

I caught three of them, but at the hour they were on in my area, two of them were past my bedtime and our local TV guide didn't list the program at all. I totally agree how amazing it is what they go through to keep the line open. I'm thinking about flying to Anchorage next summer and taking the train to Fairbanks and back so I took notes. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught three of them, but at the hour they were on in my area, two of them were past my bedtime and our local TV guide didn't list the program at all. I totally agree how amazing it is what they go through to keep the line open. I'm thinking about flying to Anchorage next summer and taking the train to Fairbanks and back so I took notes. ;)
Do it in the winter. It is much more impressive as far as the difficulty of keeping the service going and the remoteness of the thing goes. I did it over the last Thanksgiving weekend and enjoyed it immensely.

Rode the AuRoRa from Fairbanks to Anchorage back in September of 1970, before the tourism really exploded., due to the popularity of Alaska cruise-tours.

Back then, they had old equipment, including some surplus hand-me-down Army Hospital cars , similar to the ones Amtrak received and converted to lounge cars for the Heritage fleet.

The ARR one I rode, had a jukebox, and some University students actually danced away enroute. :cool:

The next time I rode that train, in 1991 while on a Princess cruisetour, I rode in Princess's new doubledeck dome cars, rebuilt from old gallery commuter cars.

I highly recommend it! :)

Do it in the winter. It is much more impressive as far as the difficulty of keeping the service going and the remoteness of the thing goes. I did it over the last Thanksgiving weekend and enjoyed it immensely.
I may do that at some future date, but, generally speaking, if I go somewhere in the winter, I want it to be in a place that has LESS snow, not more of it! ;) :p Plus I want to go when there is as much daylight as possible to see the scenery. And, especially if I go in late June, I'll have all the daylight I could want! Plus I've already looked into things to do in and around Anchorage and Fairbanks and would like to do those activities during the summer months. But I may well take the trip in winter, especially if I enjoy the summer trip.

Yes, of course there is a different set of reasons to go to Alaska during the summer, and certainly you can do much more in the summer.

What I have found is that the utter sense of desolation is much more palpable in the winter. And of course those Northern Lights, they are oh so pretty in the long winter nights, even more so when they sing gently in the utter stillness of the night. You do have to go a little north of Fairbanks to get the best of them though. There are resorts that specially serve those wh are into them. Seems like there are hoards of Japanese in addition to many Europeans and Americans who show up there. The winter Alaska Railroad weekend passenger service from Anchorage to Fairbanks and back is named Aurora after them. And of course, winter being the "low" season, everything is half price or less too. :)

Alaska Railroad runs a unique flag stop service between Talkeetna and Hurricane, in which anyone can walk upto the track and wave the train to stop. Similarly anyone on the train can notify the Condeuctor, a very nice guy who appears in the series, to be dropped off at any of the various points usually marked by a single post and nothing else. As you saw, it is the lifeline for these folks who live off grid along the Talkeetna Range in that area.

On my trip north there were 5 flag stops on the way north and 6 on the way back. The snow was deep. The folks had come in on snow mobiles on trails that come upto the tracks. One of them even loaded up his snowmobile in the baggage car!

A very unique service, very popular with the local folks, the few that there are.....

The difference with the Canadian is that on the Canadian you have to notify them well in advance and all the flag stops are listed in the timetable.

On Alaska RR you don't have to notify them in advance. You just go and stand by the track and wave. And the potential stopping points are too numerous to list on timetable. So nothing is listed on the timetable after Talkeetna, until past Hurricane in the winter. Local people just know the rough time when either the weekend Aurora or the even less frequent Hurricane Turn comes by in the winter. And then there is of course the freight delivery truck service, which is even more unique. In summer of course there is the Denali Park Station listed. That station close around Sept 20 or so with the winter schedule going into effect and reopens sometime after April AFAIR. And of course in the summer timetable there is daily service in addition to any tourist trains that might show up aligned with Cruises arriving at Whittier or Seward.

I think Alaska RR is a must ride at the same level as the California Zephyr. The views of Denali Peak (Mt. McKinley and the Alaska Range are spectacular to say the least. And the section between Whittier and Anchorage with the mountains and glaciers meeting the sea, is also something to behold. Due to avalanche danger in the winter there is no passenger service on that route in the winter. Only freight and that to kept open with enormous effort as is evident in the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back