Random Questions about the Train Horn. Also, Signals.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
Does the engineer still operate the horn manually, or are the trains modernized to recognize upcoming crossings electronically and send a signal to the on-board computer to make the horn do whatever horn sequence it needs to do?

Say, for example, it senses the intersection near my house and does the long, long, short, long sequence. Did the engineer do that, or did the train do it?

Is there a button you push to activate a certain sequence, or do you actually have to pull/push a horn? :)

I have no idea how signals and such work, so I've always been curious. How do you see an oncoming crossing? Does it show up on a map/GPS-type screen inside the locomotive? Are there lights you can see, or some light or sign just before you get to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is required to sound the horn, long-long-short-long, at every crossing, except at quiet zone. Engineer has to sound the horn by pressing the button manually, just like pressing a horn button on steering wheel of your car at inattentive driver in front of you!

There's a post along the track before the crossing, with a simple white sign with black "W" on it. It indicated whistle for approaching crossing. I believe each train companies have their own style of signs and signals.

It is required to sound the horn, long-long-short-long, at every crossing, except at quiet zone. Engineer has to sound the horn by pressing the button manually, just like pressing a horn button on steering wheel of your car at inattentive driver in front of you!

There's a post along the track before the crossing, with a simple white sign with black "W" on it. It indicated whistle for approaching crossing. I believe each train companies have their own style of signs and signals.
So, that's what the W means!!!! Oh my god, thank you! I go for walks along the tracks every night, and I've been dying to know that for years, but I always forget to look it up. Mystery solved!
hi.gif

(By "along the tracks", I mean several feet away from them, not on them. I stay past the edge of the gravel.)

I believe the P42s (and P40s?) have a horn sequencer that will blow the long-long-short-long sequence until the engineer turns it off. It still has to be manually activated, but instead of hitting the horn button 4, 8, 12, whatever times, the engineer just has to activate it once. I don't know how often it's used however.

Sorcha said:
1327699367[/url]' post='343279']Does the engineer still operate the horn manually, or are the trains modernized to recognize upcoming crossings electronically and send a signal to the on-board computer to make the horn do whatever horn sequence it needs to do?

Say, for example, it senses the intersection near my house and does the long, long, short, long sequence. Did the engineer do that, or did the train do it?

Is there a button you push to activate a certain sequence, or do you actually have to pull/push a horn? :)

I have no idea how signals and such work, so I've always been curious. How do you see an oncoming crossing? Does it show up on a map/GPS-type screen inside the locomotive? Are there lights you can see, or some light or sign just before you get to it?
USUALLY he engineer is manually blowing the proper horn sequence. Many newer locomotives are also equipped with a button on the floor you can press with your foot, that will automatically blow a long long short long sequence for you, and repeat it as long as you hold down the foot button. Most engineers don't like it, and do it manually anyway. It is helpful sometimes when holding the radio mic/handset, and doing something else with the controls. You only have so many hands!

As for how you know where the crossings are, varies slightly-some RR's use the black W on a white post or sign, others use an X, some use a - - . - pattern on a pole...or all of the above, and other variations of these to denote multiple crossings, etc. just depends on where you are in the country. Typically the signs are placed far enough out to provide 15-20 seconds of warning prior to the crossing for a train moving at the max allowable speed for that section. As not all trains are always going that fast, the engineer has to decide when to start blowing, to provide between 15 and 20 seconds of warning.....too little, or too long, and the FRA can write a violation for either not enough warning, or excessive use of the horn. Go figure.

I've seen W, X, and sometimes both. I swear I saw "MRX" once, but that might be sleepy brain fog.

(By "along the tracks", I mean several feet away from them, not on them. I stay past the edge of the gravel.)
Aloha

I do hope by past the gravel, you mean 15 feet past, like when I shot this video

I was 15 feet from the track and could feel the heat from the firebox. A long time ago I was about 30 feet from a pasenger train dooing around 100 ant the Air movement was scarey. It was a GG-1 on the NE corridor.

Aloha

I do hope by past the gravel, you mean 15 feet past, like when I shot this video
Definitely. The gravel slopes down a slight embankment, and I walk along the bottom of the embankment. Amtrak goes about 30-35 mph through my neighborhood since it's approaching/leaving the station, so it's never blown me over. ;) Plus, I can hear it coming over the sound of my iPod, so I move even farther away from the tracks just to be extra cautious of any stones that might fly up.

I've never walked along the freight lines. I don't know their schedules, so I don't know when to head out and watch them. I know Amtrak's schedule by heart.
wub.gif

Aloha

I was 15 feet from the track and could feel the heat from the firebox. A long time ago I was about 30 feet from a pasenger train dooing around 100 ant the Air movement was scarey. It was a GG-1 on the NE corridor.
844 MU'ed with a Diesel???? What is WRONG with this world!!! :eek:

I could guess being close to a GG1 would be scary.

Aloha

Definitely. The gravel slopes down a slight embankment, and I walk along the bottom of the embankment. Amtrak goes about 30-35 mph through my neighborhood since it's approaching/leaving the station, so it's never blown me over. ;) Plus, I can hear it coming over the sound of my iPod, so I move even farther away from the tracks just to be extra cautious of any stones that might fly up.

I've never walked along the freight lines. I don't know their schedules, so I don't know when to head out and watch them. I know Amtrak's schedule by heart.
wub.gif
The safety rule that applies is " expect a train on any track in any direction at any time". Be very very careful. Even listening to you iPod while being near the tracks is dangerous. Train moving at speed are quieter than you think. Please be very careful.

Also, trains do not always run on schedule. If you are not expecting it because you believe a train has already passed, you could be surprised by a late running Amtrak. Plus there could be freights or work trains.

:unsure: Sorcha: I totally agree that it's NOT a Good Idea to walk along ANY Rail Tracks with earphones on! Kowing the schedule hasnt helped lots of people that crossed tracks @ the "Non-Train" time,plenty of sad stories prove this,it happens every day! I know you are careful etc. but think about leaving the I-Pod @ home when you walk along the Tracks or at least take the headphones off while on the Rail ROW!! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Neat thread, Sorcha
smile.gif

I wonder about things like this too.

I learned all about ditch lights from one of your recent questions and had a ball watching YT videos which, in turn, cracked my husband up this morning as he was watching me listen to horns and track noise on the computer
mosking.gif

Don't worry, gents.
hi.gif
I don't walk on or near the tracks. As I said, I stay about 15-20 feet away from the edge of the gravel embankment, so that's about... 30-40 feet away from the train tracks, give or take. I have a lot of respect for trains. I would never get close enough to risk my life.

Plus, I keep my music low enough to hear the most basic traffic sounds. Sometimes I only put one earbud in if I'm near a busy area. I always hear the train horn LONG before it gets close to me. When I hear it, I move even farther away and wave at the passengers. :)

This might help. These are not the tracks near my house, but it will help with describing what I mean.

train-tracks-1-big.jpg

Where I walk is normally halfway between the edge of the gravel/grass border and the tree line on the left. :)

I am glad to know that usually the engineer sounds the whistle/horn independently, since I would have bet money on it without knowing the facts. As a musician I have noticed for years that there is quite a wide variety of rhythms associated with the long-long-short-long signal (which, incidentally, is the International Morse Code letter Q).

Sometimes the longs are not much longer than the shorts, other times the longs are very long and the short is just a quick stab at the button. I like knowing that engineers have their own styles, which might be why so many of them prefer doing it themselves instead of using the automated button.

I am glad to know that usually the engineer sounds the whistle/horn independently, since I would have bet money on it without knowing the facts. As a musician I have noticed for years that there is quite a wide variety of rhythms associated with the long-long-short-long signal (which, incidentally, is the International Morse Code letter Q).

Sometimes the longs are not much longer than the shorts, other times the longs are very long and the short is just a quick stab at the button. I like knowing that engineers have their own styles, which might be why so many of them prefer doing it themselves instead of using the automated button.
Speaking of Morse, each engineer has their own style, very analogous to a Morse operator's "fist". I really need to break out the straight key and knock the rust off, it's been too long.

What was the deal with the FRED on the tail end of the UP train?

Ryan: I haven't communicated with code for 30 years,but will never forget it. Developed "fists" with straight key and bugs, ended up with an electronic keyer but continued to use the bug now and then for just that reason - a little personality in talking.

Ryan: I haven't communicated with code for 30 years,but will never forget it. Developed "fists" with straight key and bugs, ended up with an electronic keyer but continued to use the bug now and then for just that reason - a little personality in talking.
Do you guys use International or American Morse?

To answer the other question, about signals, there is an electrical current switch in the rails that activate the crossing lights and arms when a train goes over them.

It was a GG-1 on the NE corridor.
You mean GG-1 was watching a GG-1?
huh.gif
Or was it the other way around?
huh.gif
I'm easily confused!
wacko.gif

:lol: :giggle: :lol:
Sounds normal :giggle: :rolleyes: :lol: At least we both have heard "Wire sing: My first was in Haddon Heights, NJ. :D :D :) about 60 years ago.

Aloha

Do you guys use International or American Morse?
I was referring to my use of code in the amateur ("ham") radio hobby, which is International Morse. It was and is much more widely used than American Morse, which was primarily used by - wait for it - by railroad telegraph operators!

(Neither one is used much any more, superseded by digital voice and data transmissions both on radio and through computer networks.)

Okay, figured out the "MRX" thing. I had the wrong letters in my head.

Passed the sign tonight, and it was like this:

W

MX

So, I imagine that's, "Whistle - Multiple crossings"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back