Reading Blue Mountain and Northern - Steam Excursion behind 2102

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sunday November 6, I took a ride on Reading Blue Mountain and Northern's last "Autumn Leaf" steam excursion for 2022. Being this late in the season, "Autmn Leaf," is a bit of false advertising, as nearly (but not all) of the leaves were off the trees. But it was still a scenic ride and fun to be in a dome car riding behind a steam locomotive.

We've been having some real nice weather over the last few weeks, so, of course, the day I went to take a scenic train ride in a dome car, it was cloudy and rainy. At least it was warm out. I left my house at about 6 AM, as it is about as 2 hour drive up to Reading. I missed a turn near my destination and ended up taking a minitour through downtown Reading. At least it was a Sunday morning, and there was no traffic.

When I got to the North Reading "Outer Station," I was surprised at how full the parking lot was. Railroad Police directed me to a parking spot, and then I dashed through the falling rain to a covered area where my ticket was printed. I still had over 20 minutes until the train left, so I could have wandered up front to get a good look at 2102, one of the last remaining Reading Railroad steam locomotives, but I really didn't want to get soaked, so I quickly found the dome cars and found a seat.

P1030415.JPG

And here's the great view out of our former Milwaukee Road Super Dome, "Lehigh Gorge Explorer." Our helpful car host (unfortunately I didn't write his name down while I was riding) provided lots of helpful information and good stories (including the one about the Tamaqua Fore truck that drove around the crossing gates, beating out this train the previous week.) Eventually he passed out paper towels so each of us could wipe the fog off of our windows, and pretty soon after the trip started you could see pretty well outside the dome.

P1030436.JPG
It's been a while since I last rode in a dome car, but I remembered that the seats were usually mounted on platforms elevated above the aisle. The provided the headroom to allow people to walk through, but elevated the seats so you could see out easily. On this car, there were no platforms, so you can see that a passenger is sitting a bit low for optimal viewing, which meant that we were standing a lot. The seats were fairly comfortable recliners, though perhaps it was time for the upholstery to be replaced.

They had another dome car, called the "Scenic View," whose provenance I don't know, but a car diagram posted on one wall suggested at one time it was part of a tour train called the McKinley Explorer. That one did have the raised platforms for the seating, but it had tables, the seats didn't look as comfortable, and the dome windows seemed smaller. So I decided to stick with the Lehigh Gorge Explorer.

20221106_105005.jpg

The train also had two lounge cars and an observation lounge car, but we riffraff in Dome Class weren't allowed to go back and see how the ritzy folk lived. I did get one shot of one of the lounge cars through the door window.

20221106_104907a.jpg

Moving toward the front, where the peons traveled, they had two classes. "Crown Class" was a heavyweight reclining seat coach, late of the Rio Grande Scenic Railway, called the "San Luis Valley." I suspect the railway management will eventually repaint it with RBMN colors and give it a new name evocative of the Lehigh or Schuylkill valley or something from northeastern Pennsylvania.
20221106_105326.jpg

I didn't get a chance to go back and check out the regular coaches. They seem to be old commuter coaches (Erie-Lackawanna, Reading, etc.) Not sure I'd want to take a 6 hour ride in them unless I was really hot to ride behind the steam engine and money was a bit tight.

The real star of the trip, though was the locomotive. No. 2102 was a T-1 built in the Reading railroad shops in 1945. (Actually it was a rebuilt Baldwin Consolidation). After the Reading gave up on steam, they used it for excursion trips into the mid 1960s. After moving around a bit, it came into the hands of the RBMN in the 1980s and used for excursions. In the 1990s it was sent up to Steamtown for a while, then returned for static display until it was recently restored to operating condition.

P1030496a.JPG

As for the RBMN (also called the "Reading and Northern"), unlike a lot of tourist and excursion lines, this is a real railroad, with a few hundred miles of track assembled from the wreckage of Conrail, mostly former Reading and Lehigh Valley lines.

1667860834923.png
The railroad seems the be the brainchild of a guy named Andy Muller, Jr. who owns it and seems to have a thing for passenger trains (up to a point), as their excursion business seems be operated with the same seriousness as the freight business. I think it was first put together to continue coal transport from parts of the anthracite region, but I think the coal industry doesn't have much of a future, so it seems that management is trying to see the route as a shortcut for freight heading from the mid-Atlantic up to Canda. The basic main line runs from Reading up to Scranton with lots of little branches to service all of those out of the way mining towns.

Stay tuned for the account of the wet ride from North Reading to Jim Thorpe and return.

Last edited:
With the old-timey hoot of the steam whistle (which we could hear very well even in the sealed-off dome car), we were off. We went slowly through the yard, and then crossed the Schuylkill River, after which we speeded up a bit. In general, the train ran between 20-30 mph for the 60-mile trip to Jim Thorpe. We left at 9 AM and got into Jim Thorpe at 11:30. Our deluxe dome class seats also included a selection of canned sodas and bottled water for self-service from an ice bucket. The car host also passed out bags of cookies and chips. As I had eaten breakfast very early that morning, I was glad I had stopped at a convenience store and bought a salami, cheese and crackers pack to hold me off until I could have lunch in Jim Thorpe. It seems that providing serious on-train food service isn't a priority with the management, even for a 5-hour trip. But the lack of food service doesn't seem to be hurting their business. The train, while not sold out, was pretty full. I felt the need to keep my face mask on, even if very few other passengers did.

The passenger crowd was a mix -- a few families (maybe there were more in coach), couples, some single travelers like me, and some who were obviously railfans with big, fancy cameras. Some of the passengers, in their conversations with the car host, seem to have taken this train many times, and were familiar with a lot of the operations.

The first part of the ride follows the former Reading main line along the Schuylkill River from Reading to Port Clinton. When I was a kid, the trains along this route went from Reading - Port Clinton - Pottsville. In fact, in high school, I once rode part of this route from Philadelphia to Reading on and RDC, then changed to another Pottsville-bound RDC and rode to West Hamburg, where I got off, did some roadwalking to the Hamburg Reservoir, and then hiked the Appalachian Trail for a Day hike. The RBMN excursion train followed the other line at the Port Clinton Junction, heading up along the Little Schuylkill River to Tamaqua, then up a pretty stiff grade through the Tamaqua Tunnel to a junction with the connecting line the railroad had been using (and recently purchased) that took the train over the Hometown High Bridge, by a couple of scenic lakes and over to Jim Thorpe. All along the ride, we had a narrator over the PA system who gave us a running commentary on the towns we passed through and also pointed out every single factory along the route. Is suspect these businesses are all good freight customers, and I was impressed that there is still a good bit of industrial activity going on up there in the mountains.

P1030425d.JPG
Rounding a curve on the way to Tamaqua.
P1030428.JPG
Trying to get a forward-looking view from the dome. Unfortunately, the front-facing panel to the left was totally fogged up and the view was 100% obstructed for the whole trip. It's really dark when you're in a done car going through a tunnel. When we popped out, the windows on the dome were all fogged up from the steam, and it took a bit before we could see out again. I can see why they electrified the Hudson River Tunnels.

P1030440.JPG

P1030430.JPG
Along the whole route, in both directions, people were hanging out at every possible stopping place to watch and photograph the train. We could see cars trying to pace the train (including the owner of the railroad), and we saw some really dumb driving moves as drivers frustrated with the slow pokes following the train at 30 mph, passe then in places where one shouldn't be passing.

P1030443.JPG
The railroad built this new bridge over the Lehigh River just outside of Jim Thorpe to facilitate through traffic between Reading and Scranton. At least somebody is building new infrastructure. This bridge created a wye that allows them to turn the train after arrival at Jim Thorpe, thus preventing us from having to travel sitting backwards all the way back to Reading.

P1030450.JPG

Finally, arrival at Jim Thorpe.

P1030451.JPG

The observation car "King Coal." Not sure of its provenance.

-More to come, including an extra train ride and exciting Jim Thorpe, PA!

Last edited:
We had almost 4 hours to hang around Jim Thorpe. One thing I decided to do was to check out the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, which runs north form the town up into the scenic gorge of the Lehigh River. Normally they run a 70-minute trip, but the days the Autumn Leaf Specials run, they do a 45-minute trip. They told us, "You can take the 12 o'clock train, the 1 o'clock train, or the 2'o'clock train, but don't take the 3 o'clock train or you'll see your ride home to Reading pass you by!" So I bought tikets for the 12 o'clock train and waited at the station.

P1030455.JPG

While waiting, these two R&N diesels came rumbling through. I later found out they were chase locomotives send tout by the railroad to follow the steam train just in case the steam locomotive broke down (which happened a couple of weeks earlier.) I wonder if Amtrak should do a similar thing to prevent those long delays when a locomotive breaks down, like what happened to some of us on the way home from last year's Gathering.

P1030457.JPG

Here's the Lehigh Gorge train. Same vintage rolling stock, but top and tail diesels for power. You can apparently reserve the caboose, but you have to reserve the whole car. I bought a ticket on the Crown Class car, as it was only a few dollars more than the regular coach. The Crown Class car on this train was called the "Pagoda" (after a landmark building in Reading), and is a 1920s heavyweight car built originally for the Illinois Central. The car had been completely refurbished and cleaned and looked like new, except for the seats. They definitely need to be re-upholstered.

P1030459.JPG

You can't see the frayed seat coverings and foam sticking out in the picture, but it's there. Also, a closer look at the seats...

P1030460.JPG
These seats came off of an old MARC Heritage car!

The ride up the gorge was pretty, but I think the scenery on the Main Line was better. However, this route would be great in a dome car, and I think they run a dome car on the days when they aren't running the Autumn Leaf Special.

The train returned us to Jim Thorpe, which is a bit of a tourist trap, but has some really nice solidly built Victorian architecture. The eateries in the downtown are a bit overpriced, but I wasn't in the mood to take a 30-minute round trip walk that involved a climb over to East Mauch Chunk, where there are some establishments serving local people at more reasonable prices. I found a pub on the main street where I had a decent burger and Fries and a Bloody Mary. After that, I walked up the main street and checked out the architecture. The drizzle was off and on, mainly off, and it was unseasonably warm and humid.

P1030464.JPG
P1030477.JPG

Back to the station, once can look at trains..

P1030480a.JPG

The railroad has a fleet of 3 RDCs, 2 of which were used that day for a separate excursion from Pottsville to Jim Thorpe. They arrived before our train arrived and left about 15 minutes before we left.

Finally, we heard the steam whistle down the tracks. Our train had been turned around in the wye earlier and was backed a bit down the line so that we could experience the arrival of the steam locomotive into the station.

P1030492a.JPG

It's obvious that thus loco doesn't meet EPA Tier 4 standards! :) What was interesting to me was that as the train passed, I didn't get a nose full of sulfurous coal fumes or a head full of cinders like I did when riding the Western Maryland Scenic Railway. I believe RBMN fuels its steam locomotives with locally available anthracite coal rather than the more common bituminous coal used by most steam powered railroads. Of course, in the sealed dome car, one didn't get the breeze and smells of the outside. Also, we got pretty specific instructions not to stick any part of our bodies out of the doors or windows, so leaning out the Dutch doors to take pictures as out of the question.

20221106_154042.jpg
You can't get this view out of the dome car on the Canadian -- the plume of coal smoke and steam flying right overhead.

Our trip back was by the same route as we came up. Our steam engine crew reached their hours-of-service limits when we got to Port Clinton, so they detached 2102 and hooked us up to a diesel for our final ride back to Reading. We got one last look at the old engine as we passed by the steam shops, and then we rode on through the dark to finish our journey.

20221106_181133.jpg

Finally, back in Reading. Despite the crowd, it wasn't too hard getting out of the parking lot, though I had to make a right turn on a divided highway when I needed to go left. Then I had to make a couple of U-turns to access a nearby diner where I had a quick dinner before hitting the road for my 2 hour drive back to Baltimore. This went fine, aside from having to deal with the strange Pennsylvania habit of people entering freeways and not speeding up, and I was back home by 9 PM. A long day, but a fun ride. I think I'd do it again to ride the RDCs or maybe splurge for the observation car.

Great report. Thanks.

I guess the RBM&N would be considered a regional railroad and shows how a smaller railroad seems to be able to grow business by paying attention to customer service. Your map listed no less than 6 Transload facilities on the railroad.

I had heard his anthracite business was quite good, much of it for export, and that revenue allowed him to upgrade the railroad including the new connection at Jim Thorpe.

Who needs NJT to get to Scranton when Amtrak could run trains from Philly to Reading then RBM&N beyond! Seeing that engine brought back memories of high school days. A buddy and I rode a couple Reading ‘Iron Horse Rambles’ out of Wilmington behind 2101.

Great report. Thanks.

I guess the RBM&N would be considered a regional railroad and shows how a smaller railroad seems to be able to grow business by paying attention to customer service. Your map listed no less than 6 Transload facilities on the railroad.

I had heard his anthracite business was quite good, much of it for export, and that revenue allowed him to upgrade the railroad including the new connection at Jim Thorpe.

Who needs NJT to get to Scranton when Amtrak could run trains from Philly to Reading then RBM&N beyond! Seeing that engine brought back memories of high school days. A buddy and I rode a couple Reading ‘Iron Horse Rambles’ out of Wilmington behind 2101.
He actually has spent a good deal of money on the line. They told us than when Conrail took over, they turned everything north of Reading into dark territory. The RBMN actually spent their own money building modern signaling system. They're also building a whole new shop and maintenance facility at Nesquehoning. But aside from extending Philadelphia -Reading service to Pottsville or Tamaqua, I'm not sure that the line is really set up for through passenger service. It's scenic, but really curvy, and we never went faster than 30 mph. You don't need high-speed rail to make a go of rural passenger service, but doing a 60-mile run in 2 and a half hours is probably not competitive. It's possible that modern DMU equipment would be faster, but I'm not sure by how much. Another thing is that I didn't see any freight trains operating on the Sunday I rode, but if it were regular daily service, freight interference would probably be an issue.

One thing they could do, but would have to get Amtrak and Norfolk-Southern on board, would be to run excursions from Philadelphia. That would be a really long day, or they could sell a package where you ride out on Saturday, spend the night in Jim Thorpe, and return the next day. They could also sell tickets from Philadelphia to Port Clinton for Appalachian trail hikers. However, for such a long trip they might need to get some more "Crown Class" cars with more comfortable seats. Another issue is how to approach Philadelphia from Reading with a diesel or steam engine. As far as I know, the only way to access 30th St. from the former Reading lines goes through the Center City commuter tunnel, which would be impossible for a diesel or steam locomotive. (That's part of the reason why SEPTA cancelled the Reading - Pottsville service in the first place.) I'm not familiar enough with all the rail lines in Philadelphia to know whether there's any trackage that would connect the NS Reading line to the NEC for access to 30th St.

I guess the easiest way for a Philly excursion would be to use RBM&N power from 30th st to Reading then change to steam. Although I'm not sure where the train would switch from Amtrak to NS. Did find this Penn DOT Map that might help.

Or, maybe do what the Reading did so many years ago and run it out of Wilmington on the short line railroad to Birdsboro, a short distance from Reading and the NS connection. No idea what condition the line is in though but it is a pleasant ride, very bucolic through the farms and estates in Chester county. But I'd settle for more out of Reading, or how about Harrisburg (maybe Hershey) ?

Last edited:
I guess the easiest way for a Philly excursion would be to use RBM&N power from 30th st to Reading then change to steam. Although I'm not sure where the train would switch from Amtrak to NS. Did find this Penn DOT Map that might help.

Or, maybe do what the Reading did so many years ago and run it out of Wilmington on the short line railroad to Birdsboro, a short distance from Reading and the NS connection. No idea what condition the line is in though but it is a pleasant ride, very bucolic through the farms and estates in Chester county. But I'd settle for more out of Reading, or how about Harrisburg (maybe Hershey) ?
Looking at the PennDOT map, it looks like it might be a pretty straight shot. From reading, just follow NS (the old PRR Schuylkill Line) from Reading to Falls Jct. in Philadelphia, then take CSX along the Schuylkill River right to the Zoo Interlocking, where, presumably, there's a connection to the NEC. (CSX operates trains over the old PRR High Line.)

This routing would also work for any Amtrak Philadelphia -Reading service, although the route does bypass Norristown, which would presumably be a fairly important stop to have on a Philadelphia - Reading passenger train service. I suppose they'd have to build a new bridge over the Schuylkill River somewhere before Norristown to connect to the SEPTA line. The other alternative would be to use dual-modes and run them from the Upper Level of 30th St., through the Center City tunnel and over to the Reading side. They would run electric to Norristown, and then diesel the rest of the way.

Looking at the PennDOT map, it looks like it might be a pretty straight shot. From reading, just follow NS (the old PRR Schuylkill Line) from Reading to Falls Jct. in Philadelphia, then take CSX along the Schuylkill River right to the Zoo Interlocking, where, presumably, there's a connection to the NEC. (CSX operates trains over the old PRR High Line.)
Currently there is no connection between the CSX High Line and the NEC (River Line) or the SEPTA Suburban Line, around what used to be Zoo interlocking (now it is Girard on the NEC). That connection was removed quite a while back.

My understanding is that it is possible to get trains from Reading onto the Norristown Line and that way into 30th St. It skips across the River from CP Norris into the Norristown Station on the SEPTA Norristown Line is my understanding, though I have not looked closely.

Remember, the rolling stock for this service, if and when it occurs will most likely be ICT with ALC-42E as power.

Remember, the rolling stock for this service, if and when it occurs will most likely be ICT with ALC-42E as power.
Well, if that's the case, then the easiest thing to do is just run it from the upper level of 30th St. to Norristown via SEPTA.

But that doesn't help it if you want to run an excursion train up to Reading etc. using a steam engine or vintage diesel.

Well, if that's the case, then the easiest thing to do is just run it from the upper level of 30th St. to Norristown via SEPTA.

But that doesn't help it if you want to run an excursion train up to Reading etc. using a steam engine or vintage diesel.
I am sure that is not a major consideration in the making of such decisions ;) An ACSES equipped steam engine would be something. Then again the UP Big Boy is now equipped with I-ETMS. PTC did those Pennsy liveried E units in.

Interesting trip report, thanks for posting.

When I was a kid, the trains along this route went from Reading - Port Clinton - Pottsville. In fact, in high school, I once rode part of this route from Philadelphia to Reading on and RDC, then changed to another Pottsville-bound RDC and rode to West Hamburg, where I got off, did some roadwalking to the Hamburg Reservoir, and then hiked the Appalachian Trail for a Day hike.
A friend and I also rode Philadelphia - Reading changing to the Reading - Pottsville train which was a single RDC back in 1981 before the discontinuance of passenger service, which was due to a condition of the Conrail takeover that all passenger service they ran had to be turned over to local agencies or discontinued. Since Reading and North of there was outside of SEPTA territory and there was no one to pick up the slack the service went away. Same thing happened to Lansdale - Bethlehem.
While waiting, these two R&N diesels came rumbling through. I later found out they were chase locomotives send tout by the railroad to follow the steam train just in case the steam locomotive broke down (which happened a couple of weeks earlier.)
One of the more memorable trips I had behind 2102 back in the 1980's was an excursion from Temple to Jim Thorpe where the engine broke down just outside of Allentown on the return trip due to bad water. Apparently a local fire company had filled the tender using water containing an anti-foaming agent that interfered with proper steam generation. Conrail had to call a crew and send out rescue engines which took some time. We got back to Temple around 4 AM IIRC. :(

Back