Really more of a hotel question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Lead Service Attendant
This isn't strictly train related, but I couldn't figure out a good place to put it, feel free to move...

...anyway, I'm getting all the details ironed out for my annual California Trainstravaganza, and just went to book a room at the Vagabond Inn in Sacramento for the night before I connect from the CZ to the CS. When I called them though, they said their owner is thinking about doing renovations in July but isn't sure yet, so they aren't booking anyone in July. Should know by mid/late March whether they will renovate or not.

I just love the Vagabond Inn because it's right across the street from the station. I'll be bummed if I can't stay there, and also kind of a nervous basket case. Does anyone know of any hotels easy to walk to from the station? I'm a lady traveling alone, and I don't know karate, so I don't want to walk too crazy far. I could always see if I can extend my zephyr trip over to Davis or something, too, if there's nice hotels (although I do like wandering around Old Sac).

Blah. It's always something ;)

On Google Maps, it looks like the Holiday Inn is just one more block away from the station than the Vagabond, so that would appear to still be walking distance. Note that I'm solely relying on looking at it on a map, I have not actually been there.

Yeah, I saw that on the map as well and I'm considering it. Just didn't know if anyone had personal experience they could share as well, thanks for taking the time to look that up! :) I searched around the forums a bit too, because I know I've seen this talked about, but I was having a hard time finding where.

I've used trip advisor in the past, but it's not necessarily as full of knowledge from the train trip perspective as this forum. I know there are a lot of folks here who have stayed overnight various places while connecting between those particular trains, so I thought I'd seek out the best possible info. If it's too much trouble to provide useful input, feel free to ignore this thread.

Just asking an honest question. Trip Advisor is a mainstream site with millions more data points to pull from and if you don't see the specific answer you want you can PM the author of a recent review you like to ask for more specific information. I guess I misunderstood the goal.

The Holiday Inn is closest being on the block behind the Vagabond. I've never stayed there, being I live in town, but I've been to several business meetings in the meeting rooms and they were fine. Some of my compatriots stayed there as they came up from SoCal and they had no issues as it's a Holiday Inn things were fairly standard.

Another hotel within walking distance is The Citizen at 10th and J (10-15 minute walk) which I've been to for two weddings and several other functions. It's quite nice, a bit more upscale and pricey but still very nice. If you like Old Sac then there's also the Delta Queen which is a hotel and in Old Sac or the Embassy Suites on Capitol Mall at the south end of Old Sac. All of which are within walking distance of the station.

My favorite HI Hostel in the US is the one at 10th & H (NW corner). It is a Victorian mansion across the street from City Hall.

They have women's dorms and a few private rooms. If you bring food, they have a good kitchen and shelves and refrigerators for your labeled food. DO NOT take food up to the rooms.

...Does anyone know of any hotels easy to walk to from the station? I'm a lady traveling alone, and I don't know karate, so I don't want to walk too crazy far. I could always see if I can extend my zephyr trip over to Davis or something, too, if there's nice hotels (although I do like wandering around Old Sac).
Depending on your lodging requirements, here are two possibilities for a one-time pinch close to SAC:

1 - Best Western Plus Sutter House, 11th & H. Six blocks away and same price range as Vagabond.

If walking far is out, you could ride the light-rail 2 blocks requiring a 4 block walk. Returning

to the station is a 3 block walk to the light-rail for a short ride to the station.

2 - Sacramento International Hostel, 10th & H.

That Holiday Inn is starting to look like a good option as far as proximity goes. I know I've heard a lot of people saying they lay over in Davis instead. Has anyone had any experience staying at the Hallmark Inn in Davis? Looks like it's quite close to the station and looks ok on the review sites.

That hostel looks really intriguing, but it doesn't have any availability in July. I've never done a hostel, but I love old architecture, so I'd consider it just for that!

That Holiday Inn is starting to look like a good option as far as proximity goes. I know I've heard a lot of people saying they lay over in Davis instead. Has anyone had any experience staying at the Hallmark Inn in Davis? Looks like it's quite close to the station and looks ok on the review sites.

That hostel looks really intriguing, but it doesn't have any availability in July. I've never done a hostel, but I love old architecture, so I'd consider it just for that!
I, a little "old" lady, have stayed in two HI Hostels in the last few years, per recommendations from AU, and I've enjoyed both of them. There was one in San Francisco that I had considered staying in for our Bay Area Gathering, but decided to stick closer to the majority of the participants who were staying in Emeryville. This one sounds like one I'd like to consider if I'm ever in the Sacramento area. I, too, like old architecture. Too bad they don't have any openings in July (but I'd keep checking in case anyone cancels out). Were you looking at the dorm rooms or private rooms? I stayed in dorm rooms my two times.

I, a little "old" lady, have stayed in two HI Hostels in the last few years, per recommendations from AU, and I've enjoyed both of them. There was one in San Francisco that I had considered staying in for our Bay Area Gathering, but decided to stick closer to the majority of the participants who were staying in Emeryville. This one sounds like one I'd like to consider if I'm ever in the Sacramento area. I, too, like old architecture. Too bad they don't have any openings in July (but I'd keep checking in case anyone cancels out). Were you looking at the dorm rooms or private rooms? I stayed in dorm rooms my two times.
I didn't look into either, just typed in my dates on their website and it said "no availability". I think I'd much rather stay in a private room, just because I'll be staying with friends on their couch when I get to my destination, and I think I'll want to soak in every moment of alone time I can until I get there. I lived with dozens of girls in the same room as a camp counselor back in the day, so I can do it, but living alone for the last three years has spoiled me :lol:

I'll keep checking back; I think I'm going to book fairly soon though. That holiday inn's prices are a little steep for me, so I'm going to look more into that Davis option.

I didn't look into either, just typed in my dates on their website and it said "no availability". I think I'd much rather stay in a private room, just because I'll be staying with friends on their couch when I get to my destination, and I think I'll want to soak in every moment of alone time I can until I get there. I lived with dozens of girls in the same room as a camp counselor back in the day, so I can do it, but living alone for the last three years has spoiled me :lol:

I'll keep checking back; I think I'm going to book fairly soon though. That holiday inn's prices are a little steep for me, so I'm going to look more into that Davis option.
Looks like they only taking <online?> reservations through June at this time. I looked at later months and they're all blocked out too.

I share Cina's agony.

Did some planning for a trip just like hers some months ago, and the Vagabond Inn in SAC seemed the best option in any of the four towns common to the CZ and CS. And not best just because its front door is only 150 yards from that of the station - also best because of its comparatively good reviews on Trip Advisor. In addition, hotel management has a response to almost all of the reviews - even the bad few ones. I don't see that very often. With hundreds of those reviews, I didn't even think of asking for any here. And if I had thought of it, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I found the Vagabond Inn through Tripadvisor the first time I took this trip, and at the time there were a lot of negative reviews in regards to the rooms being outdated, but they had recently redone them when I came through and all of those problems seemed to have been rectified. I really like that hotel, so I'm hoping they decide not to renovate in, you know, the middle of summer. That's gotta be a peak time for visitors right?!

That said, not sure I'm willing to wait until mid/end of March to find out what they decide before I book. I know that hotel's a favorite with rail riders though, so I also thought the info would be welcome here.

AmtrakBlue - Interesting, so perhaps there are availabilities, they just aren't opened up to booking yet.

Yeah, I found the Vagabond Inn through Tripadvisor the first time I took this trip, and at the time there were a lot of negative reviews in regards to the rooms being outdated, but they had recently redone them when I came through and all of those problems seemed to have been rectified. I really like that hotel, so I'm hoping they decide not to renovate in, you know, the middle of summer. That's gotta be a peak time for visitors right?!

That said, not sure I'm willing to wait until mid/end of March to find out what they decide before I book. I know that hotel's a favorite with rail riders though, so I also thought the info would be welcome here.

AmtrakBlue - Interesting, so perhaps there are availabilities, they just aren't opened up to booking yet.
You could book something now and cancel if you find the Vagabond or the hostel have openings, couldn't you? I always book places that I can cancel because "things happen".

You should be able to call or send an email to the hostel and ask them when they'll start taking reservations for July.

You might want to give the hostel a phone call and see what's going on with them. Interesting fact about the building is it's moved twice. Once from its current location to the opposite side of the street, and about a decade or so ago back to its original spot. I watched them do the last move it was fascinating.

The Best Western mentioned above might also work for you if their rates are right. Since summer here can be hotter than Hades, many visitors go elsewhere on the weekends. Peak time for weekend visitors is spring and fall when the weather's still nice but cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back