Recent Sunset limited menus

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak uses the same base menu on all trains, the current one can be found here. They then have a few regional specials on each train that the waiter will tell you about when you get to the diner.

the menus are almost the same just the name of menu is different like the texas eagle CCC menu. also the prices vary by train.

the menus are almost the same just the name of menu is different like the texas eagle CCC menu. also the prices vary by train.
Sounds really bad for people who plan to do a longer trip, especially if they are Vegetarians...

Is there really no change on the menu for the entire trip of train 421 (aka Texas Eagle/SunsetLimited)?

=> Are the options for vegetarians really the same on all trains?

What about the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder?

Sounds really bad for people who plan to do a longer trip, especially if they are Vegetarians...

Is there really no change on the menu for the entire trip of train 421 (aka Texas Eagle/SunsetLimited)?

there are not very many choices. i got the texas eagle CCC menu here from last year i got from the train and the only veggie thing listed are vegetarian enchiladas and a garden burger served with lettuce tomato potato chips and a pickle spear

Sounds really bad for people who plan to do a longer trip, especially if they are Vegetarians...Is there really no change on the menu for the entire trip of train 421 (aka Texas Eagle/SunsetLimited)?

Those are the options for vegetarians if they don't make prior arrangements with Amtrak.

The only change during a normal run would be the specials. In the case of 421, you'd be seeing the Eagles specials to San Antonio, then the Sunset's west of SAS.

The Coast Starlight uses the same menu in the dining car. However one does have the luxury of taking one's meals in the Pacific Parlour Car and the PPC offers some unique choices.

I'm not sure if the Empire is still using its own unique menu, or if they now use the standard menu. The EB of course still runs the dining car in the old way, with increased staffing and more foods cooked on board. They also still have glassware and cloth tablecloths.

The City of NOL which doesn't run with a dining car, only the CCC has its own unique menu, also available on Amtrak site.

The only other Superliner train that doesn't run with the menu that I linked to is the Auto Train, which has its own unique menus, one for coach pax and one for sleeper pax.

The LSL and the Cardinal also run with somewhat unique menus because of the diner-lite cars in use there.

Well at least their vegetarian choice is better than a restaurant (now out of business) a vegetarian friend of mine and I went to in Vegas. Garden Burger (so far so good) slice of Real California Cheese, (so much for the Veegans) and two slices of smoked bacon (there went the vegitarians).

Sounds really bad for people who plan to do a longer trip, especially if they are Vegetarians...Is there really no change on the menu for the entire trip of train 421 (aka Texas Eagle/SunsetLimited)?

Those are the options for vegetarians if they don't make prior arrangements with Amtrak.

The only change during a normal run would be the specials. In the case of 421, you'd be seeing the Eagles specials to San Antonio, then the Sunset's west of SAS.

The Coast Starlight uses the same menu in the dining car. However one does have the luxury of taking one's meals in the Pacific Parlour Car and the PPC offers some unique choices.

I'm not sure if the Empire is still using its own unique menu, or if they now use the standard menu. The EB of course still runs the dining car in the old way, with increased staffing and more foods cooked on board. They also still have glassware and cloth tablecloths.

The City of NOL which doesn't run with a dining car, only the CCC has its own unique menu, also available on Amtrak site.

The only other Superliner train that doesn't run with the menu that I linked to is the Auto Train, which has its own unique menus, one for coach pax and one for sleeper pax.

The LSL and the Cardinal also run with somewhat unique menus because of the diner-lite cars in use there.
Does anybody know if the LSL has the Steak option? Can anybody post a diner lite menue for the LSL here? Would the Cardinal's be the same? :)

Does anybody know if the LSL has the Steak option? Can anybody post a diner lite menue for the LSL here? Would the Cardinal's be the same? :)
Here is the best I can do, I remember a few things from the Diner Lite car when I was on the Cardinal so I'm not sure if there the same. The beef choice was Braised beef in ale, for 21 dollars. There was IIRC a roasted chicken (no clue on price), the pizza of the day, and a vegitarian lasanga. Those are the things and can recall off the top of my head, but again its been 6 months so there may have been more, and it may have changed.

Sorry its the best I can do...

Nope, this is due to lack of grill or prep space.

Here is the best I can do, I remember a few things from the Diner Lite car when I was on the Cardinal so I'm not sure if there the same. The beef choice was Braised beef in ale, for 21 dollars. There was IIRC a roasted chicken (no clue on price), the pizza of the day, and a vegitarian lasanga. Those are the things and can recall off the top of my head, but again its been 6 months so there may have been more, and it may have changed.

Wow, the beef was alot cheaper when I rode earlier this year. Then again, the menu has changed alot.

cpamtfan-Peter

Wow, the beef was alot cheaper when I rode earlier this year. Then again, the menu has changed alot.cpamtfan-Peter
I mean I might be off on the price I just recall thinking wow this beef dish is the same price as the flat iron steak and I'd rather have the steak. Although I was in a sleeper so either way it didn't really matter I just remember having that thought. I elected to have the pizza, my dad said the beef was pretty good though.

In April and June 2008 the EB menu looked to be the same as the CL menu. I couldn't swear they were exactly the same, but no differences stuck out at me. Food, service, and decor were of course much better on the EB :) It's not just that they had extra staff, nicer tablecloths, and such. It's also that I had great crews in each direction.

I wonder if because they're less overworked and perhaps receive a little more respect from Amtrak the EB crews take a little more pride in their work; if there's anything to that, then it's a reinforcing cycle, because it produces happier customers, some of that feedback probably trickles back to Amtrak, and Amtrak may consider that when they continue to provide extra funds to the EB for its dining service.... Gosh, I wonder what could happen if Amtrak didn't have its hands tied by Congress and could try this on other trains....

That's not to say other trains have notably inferior crews. I've had great crews on many trains. But the EB's crews were pretty great, and with five or six meals in each direction there was a lot of time for that impression to be solidified. Often I'm only on an LD train for a couple meals, so I don't get as familiar with the crews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back