Recommend stop/town on CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
My H's grandparents - who are in their 80s - want to take the CZ. However the want to break up the trip with one night on the train, one night off, then the second night. The will be traveling west-bound.

So suggest a good place - city or town - for them to stop. :)

Glenwood Springs, Colorado. Midday arrival and departure. Hotel Denver directly across street from front door of station.Beautiful scenary. Nice shopping opportunities in the compact downtown one block from the station.

Not a lot choices: Denver, arriving 7am; Fraser, 10am; Granby 10:30am; Glenwood, 2pm; Grand Junction, 4pm; Green River, 6pm; Helper 7:20pm; and Provo, 930pm. Probably depends on what they want to do with that day off the train. Denver is probably the most "civilized"; Granby or Glenwood possibly more interesting. But again, depends on what they would like to do for that day.

My dad and I stopped at Granby a couple of years ago, in August, rented a car (Avalanche will deliver it to the station), and drove through Rocky Mt. National Park. Great scenery and wildlife sightings. Fine cup of green chile soup/stew at steakhouse in Granby.

I will second Glenwood Springs, for the same reasons Chakk mentioned above. Grand Junction would be my second choice, but there is less to do right around the station as compared to Glenwood Springs, and the scenery isn't quite as nice (although still better scenery than 99% of the country).

Thanks folks. I initially suggested Denver to them but will also suggest that they consider Glenwood Springs.

Granby or Glenwood possibly more interesting.
This question comes up a lot; and the general consensus is Glenwood Springs, which I agree with, especially if you are on foot or bicycle. Granby is not IMO very interesting. Except for the services for tourists visiting Rocky Mountain National Park along the main drag, US 40, it is suburban sprawl you can find anywhere.

Plus Glenwood Falls has the hot spring pool. Which would be something I am sure that your H's Grandparents might find relaxing and worth checking into. Staying at the Glenwood Falls hotel is a great experience with the hot springs.

Plus Glenwood Falls has the hot spring pool. Which would be something I am sure that your H's Grandparents might find relaxing and worth checking into. Staying at the Glenwood Falls hotel is a great experience with the hot springs.
Given their demographics, I think the immediately accessible great eats are also a big plus as compared to the isolated temporary station For Denver, so would def recommend GS first. Just did it earlier this year and it helps you catch your breath after a day of breathtaking canyon vistas and helps you appreciate the badlands/Sierra Nevada splendor to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back