Recommended Layover Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphisdoug

Train Attendant
I would like to plan a trip from the east side of Michigan to Minneapolis/St. Paul. I can book a trip online that goes from Dearborn to Chicago to Minneapolis with an approximate 2 1/2 hour layover in Chicago. I also tried to book from Pt. Huron to Chicago to Minneapolis but the Amtrak site won't let me. The Pt. Huron train arrives in Chicago 35 minutes after the Dearborn train at 11:59 AM. The Empire Builder leaves at 2:15 PM for Minneapolis. Is 2 hours and 15 minutes not considered a long enough layover in the eyes of Amtrak to book the Pt. Huron to Minneapolis trip or am I missing something?

Normally if something comes up on Amtrak.com, it is a guaranteed connection. However the train from Pt Huron may have 2 things "wrong":

1. Maybe it is so late, it would normally miss the connection. (I'm only guessing, I didn't look it up.)
  2. Maybe one or both trains on that specific day are sold out!
    rolleyes.gif

Normally if something comes up on Amtrak.com, it is a guaranteed connection. However the train from Pt Huron may have 2 things "wrong":

1. Maybe it is so late, it would normally miss the connection. (I'm only guessing, I didn't look it up.)
  2. Maybe one or both trains on that specific day are sold out!
    rolleyes.gif
If I look at each segment individually they are all available.

If you really want to go from Port Huron, you'll have to book them separately or use the multi-city option. But as the_traveler said, you won't have a guaranteed connection. If your first train is late and misses the connection Amtrak will get your to your final destination, such as put you in a hotel or a bus connection to catch up with the train. Without a guaranteed connection, they may not do that. I would go with the longer layover. It's Chicago, so you'll find plenty to do in that amount of time around the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back