Redcap @ Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a doctors appoint in a couple of weeks in NYC.After we finish her app we plan on taking the #176 NERegional on up to Boston. It departs at 3:30 pm giving us approx. 30 minutes to get from E 36th and Park and onto the train. I have never caught a train at Penn Station before and will not have a lot of time to get lost. I would like to jump out of a taxi and into a Redcaps cart to get us on the train. Is it possible to get a Redcap at street level? What if we miss that train, can we use our tix on the next NER going out? Any ideas,suggestions or just reliable information will greatly appreciatted. :)

No wheelchair is needed, I only mentioned "cart" because that is what I usually encounter at CUS and LAUPT where I am much more familiar. Would a Redcap be able to hustle us down to the train with only 10 to 15 minutes before departure. I know nothing about the boarding procedures or gate locations at NYP. There is an AE that leaves at 4 pm making the connx. not as tight but is 3 1/2 times the cost. :help:

Not to throw another wrench in your plans - but sometimes cabs can be tough to get between 3-6 pm in NYC.

What are the normal boarding procedures at NYP for the Regionals, and where are the gates? Do they close them at a certain time before departure? Would a Redcap be able to get us on the train with 10 -15 minute before scheduled departure? Where is the best place to get dropped off by the taxi to go into NYP?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the normal boarding procedures at NYP for the Regionals, and where are the gates? Do they close them at a certain time before departure? Would a Redcap be able to get us on the train with 10 -15 minute before scheduled departure? Where is the best place to get dropped off by the taxi to go into NYP?
If you are with a redcap waiting, he can have you on the platform as the train arrives in NYP which is generally 15-20 minutes before departure. Track number could be anywhere from 7-16 (not usually 5/6 for 8 car regional to/from Boston).

And what if your appointment runs late. 30 min from Park to Penn station via cab is simply cutting it too close.

It took me over 25 min to get from Lexington and 39 to Penn and that is after exiting a half block away one afternoon last fall.

Fortunately I was only catiching a NJ Transit commuter train, so it didn't matter which one I took.

I would plan on a later train.

The normal boarding procedure at NYP is that most people wait on the amtrak level, in the middle sort of the floor underneath the departure board. When it announces the gate/platform for the train, there is a mad crazy rush over to that escalator. Then there is an attendant at the top of the escalator who glances at tickets of the people heading down to the platform. It is generally pretty hectic.

Those who have redcaps generally get brought down to the platform early, as the pp mentioned. The redcap generally brings you down right before the train arrives on the platform. The dwell time in NYP is generally around 15-20 minutes, so they don't allow the pax down the escalator from the main waiting area until most of the detraining pax have already come up.

I am not sure about getting a redcap at street level (the station is one level underground). I would guess that the 8th ave side would be the better side to get dropped off on because that is closer to the amtrak waiting area/club acela then the 7th ave side. But I cannot guarantee that you will be able to secure a redcap up there.

Also if you are arriving within 15 minutes of the train's departure, I don't think using a redcap is going to save you any time. If anything, at that point it is going to take more time. If I was arriving 15 minutes prior to the train leaving, I would just head in to the station from 8th ave and 31st, figure out what platform, and just head straight to the down escalator.

This page may be of use. It might be worth printing out and studying the floor plans before you arrive so you know where you are and which you have to move.

http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Unless you have a disability of some sort, I don't think having a Redcap will actually save you any time. Just think of the time you might need to find one and explain what you want.

Tracy: I agree with Re-Booking to a Later Train, NYP can become a Zoo in the Afternoon as can the Streets of New York! The Acela is probably not worth the difference in Price so take a Later Regional IF the Fare Difference is Worth it! (Sometimes Regionals cost more than Acela BC!) Much as I hate to say it there are also Plenty of Busses between NY and BOS that have Low Fares!

This page may be of use. It might be worth printing out and studying the floor plans before you arrive so you know where you are and which you have to move.
http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Unless you have a disability of some sort, I don't think having a Redcap will actually save you any time. Just think of the time you might need to find one and explain what you want.
That's a great map :) It answers alot of the questions that I was trying to ask, I just have trouble conveying my thoughts into words at times. We will probably have more time than the 15 minutes I originally stated since her appointments don't usually last a full hour, but I try to plan for worst case scenario Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back