Refund for canceled train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
I was scheduled to be on the Silver Star on Sept 29, which was canceled due to the hurricane in Florida. The cancelation email I got only said to call them, and I did not do this in a timely fashion (life got in the way). When I called this morning, though, I was told that it has been too long for them to issue a refund. Is this true? I can't find anything online about what happens when they cancel a train, much less anything about how long you have to request a refund.
Thank you!

Hi all,
I was scheduled to be on the Silver Star on Sept 29, which was canceled due to the hurricane in Florida. The cancelation email I got only said to call them, and I did not do this in a timely fashion (life got in the way). When I called this morning, though, I was told that it has been too long for them to issue a refund. Is this true? I can't find anything online about what happens when they cancel a train, much less anything about how long you have to request a refund.
Thank you!
I had my Silver Meteor 10/3 train canceled due to hurricane Ian. Since I live in Florida and was watching the storm (and realized the amount of damage done), I was expecting the cancellation. I phoned immediately and rebooked for a later date (which almost got canceled by the next hurricane). I do not know the "rules" for refunds, but I suggest that you phone during a weekday between 8am and 8pm (EST) and ask to speak to Customer Relations. The closer after 8am, most likely, the shorter wait you will have. You first will need to call either the main number or the AGR number and then ask to speak to Customer Relations. Monday mornings (especially after a long holiday weekend) may be very busy, so try to be patient.

Hi all,
Thank you!

I'm not aware of any time limits to request a refund for a canceled train. That said, waiting two months to make the requested phone call is a bit long.

Most likely the regular agent you spoke with is unable to process the refund due to the elapsed time. It's likely the reservation is no longer active in Arrow. Hopefully the funds were put into an eVoucher automatically at some point. PennyK is correct. Call and ask for Customer Relations, or send an e-mail. They have access to more tools than the front-line agents for situations like this.

Back