Refunds on Saver and Value fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Re refunds:

With the current fee waver on tickets bought up until 31 May 2020, does this include full refunds on Value and Saver fares too? I have read the detail on fare conditions for each of them, but not sure the virus caused fee waiver applies to all tickets.

Thank you

I received a full refund by voucher on my saver fare for my canceled March Acela trip. I believe Amtrak is giving voucher refunds for saver fare tickets, but I have heard of situations where passengers have received refunds to their credit cards.

Thanks Penny, that's reassuring.

Have now booked tickets for a third time to get to the LA area in October, these ones are for the Texas Eagle sleeper which I know would be refunded if the situation remains similar to today along with the Amtrak guarantee of a waiver.

Just wasn't sure from the Amtrak wording if that waiver applied to these other not usually refundable tickets, obviously not making any further bookings or buying any more tickets until I understand if they are refundable. Still trying to claim a refund on two sets of airline of tickets but the airlines are not being overly helpful at the moment.

I received a full refund by voucher on my saver fare for my canceled March Acela trip. I believe Amtrak is giving voucher refunds for saver fare tickets, but I have heard of situations where passengers have received refunds to their credit cards.
I got one of those Full refunds to my card ( via Phone with an Agent)when I cancelled my Dallas trip on the Eagle in March!

Same for my Hotel in Dallas.( The New La Quinta across from Union Station)

Here's a question I've been having (while dithering about making a reservation for a trip next winter). I received an email that said:
We are waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before May 31, 2020. This includes reservations booked with points.
So, it says the reservation must be MADE by May 31. But not that any cancellations or changes must also be made by that date. So the implication is that we can make a reservation for 11 months out, and then change or cancel it without penalty, right up till the day we begin travel. Do you think I have this correct? Has anyone asked that specific question?

Getting through the next six weeks is more important right now than making plans for next winter, but by May 30, I might be willing to think about it. We'll see!

Back