Remembering the Golden Age of Airline Food

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the food was better back before airline deregulation, but I never saw (or ate) any of the elaborate meals described in the article. And into the 1960s, many flights were prop planes flying at lower altitudes, which means a roller-coaster ride that may cause a traveler to not want to eat, or even loose one's lunch. "Air sickness bags" were a standard feature in every seat-back pocket, along with the safety card, the route atlas, and by the 70s, the inflight magazine. I didn't really start flying regularly until about 1970, and, yeah, they served full meals in coach, but it was sort of like what they serve in Acela First, with a salad added. It was meh, but better than what was available at the airports, so when I booked my flights to and from college, I always booked meal flights, because if I didn't, meal time would be when I was at the airport.

Some of the factors she leaves out are...

1. Modern domestic airfare is a tiny fraction of what people were paying in the regulated era so where is the money for good food?

2. Modern aircraft are faster and can fly through/around more weather so trips are shorter and more likely to reach their destination.

3. Modern schedules offer more flights and routes allowing you to travel when it's convenient rather than wasting a whole day traveling.

4. Modern airports offer food, drink, and sundries for purchase and carrying onto your aircraft when passengers need some sustenance.

That said I strongly agree with her assessment that modern loyalty programs are designed to dissuade choice more than reward loyalty which eventually leads to worse service. I was still impressed with long haul premium cabin meals on non-US carriers as recently as 2019, but all good things must come to an end.

If anyone wants a return to the golden era of flying you can always charter your own aircraft with whatever you desire to eat and drink.

Last edited:
In 1977 I had United flights from San Francisco to the Hampton Roads area. The first leg was a "very" red eye to Chicago and breakfast was prepared (with some items to order) in the galley below the main deck.

More recently (but still too long ago) in the deregulated era, I made a lot of flights on Midwest Express. This was single class, but 2 x 2 seating in DC-9/MD-80 class aircraft -- nice leather seating. The meals came on real China with metal flatware. This meant taking two flights, connecting in Milwaukee, instead of non-stops from DC., but it also meant two fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies on each leg. If we stayed at a Doubletree, that meant a six cookie trip.

Some of the factors she leaves out are...

1. Modern domestic airfare is a tiny fraction of what people were paying in the regulated era so where is the money for good food?

2. Modern aircraft are faster and can fly through/around more weather so trips are shorter and more likely to reach their destination.

3. Modern schedules offer more flights and routes allowing you to travel when it's convenient rather than wasting a whole day traveling.

4. Modern airports offer food, drink, and sundries for purchase and carrying onto your aircraft when passengers need some sustenance.

That said I strongly agree with her assessment that modern loyalty programs are designed to dissuade choice more than reward loyalty which eventually leads to worse service. I was still impressed with long haul premium cabin meals on non-US carriers as recently as 2019, but all good things must come to an end.

If anyone wants a return to the golden era of flying you can always charter your own aircraft with whatever you desire to eat and drink.
And not having to run the gauntlet of the TSA - although you might have to use a rural suburban airport instead of metro/city one.
Yes back in the 60's 70's and early 80's there was meal service in coach and FREE checked luggage (2 pieces) and the overhead bins
were almost empty except for hats and clothing - AND none of this passenger air-rage acting up causing chaos mayhem diverting
fights from their intended destination rarely any racial seating issues Rosa Parks (back of the bus).
In addition to unruly folk causing this - there should be a NO FLY - NO TRAIN - NO GROUND TRANSPORT as a punishment for
not abiding by civilized rules and structure - a sort of travel prison for these types.

The other thing to remember is that there were many few fliers and flights, and the infrastructure was significantly less strained overall. It is sobering to learn that the total passenger-miles in 1980 was significantly less the the passenger-miles flown worldwide after the pandemic crash in travel!

Last few times I flew I noticed a distinct lack of them. I guess you have to try and make it to the restroom...
In January 1969 the Army put me on United from Sea-Tac to SFO and the weather was horrible. We went way out over the Pacific trying to get around the storm, but we still were bouncing around. Nevertheless, dinner was served.

The business guy next to me decided that he couldn't eat his dinner in that situation. I told him it looked better than mess hall food and so I ate both his and my meal. They did have the sacks handy, but I didn't need them.

Not counting Lufthansa out of Denver for Frankfurt, the best airline meal that I recall was YEG<>MSP in both directions on Northwest Airlines in 1981. They treated it as an international flight (in a 727).

I remember around 1969 an early morning Northeast Airlines flight from Boston to Philadelphia and being served a full breakfast in coach, pretty good considering it was about a 1 hour flight. I almost missed the flight as my Dad was driving me to the airport and we got stuck in traffic, I think I got there about 10 minutes before the flight was to leave. But this was in the days before metal detectors and TSA so I made it.

The other thing to remember is that there were many few fliers and flights, and the infrastructure was significantly less strained overall. It is sobering to learn that the total passenger-miles in 1980 was significantly less the the passenger-miles flown worldwide after the pandemic crash in travel!
Very sobering indeed - I remember when flying was a big deal. Now it's pretty much ubiquitous.

Are they not still standard?
There is supposed to be one in each seat back pocket or other safety card location.
That noted when one or more are used these are not replaced until the aircraft is
serviced at night by a fleet service crew (if there is such an effort made to really
service the aircraft replacing and replenishing the used items).
When you first board the aircraft and read the safety card check for that airsickness
bag - if not found when convenient alert the flight attendant that you need to
have access to one - there are spares in compartments near the galley.
I know this because my night crew their job was to replace a used bag cleaning and
wiping down all the tray tables. The job got easier with less magazines and other
garbage literature in the seat pockets - simply the safety card and barf bag.

Yes, airline travel was a real premiere travel experience at one time, even into the seventies perhaps, maybe even eighties. Anyway, I'm remembering in the early 1960s when most all domestic commercial flights served three-course meals. And they were served by young and attractive and very well-dressed young ladies who looked like they might have just stepped out of a fashion magazine. Actually I want to say they were dressed to the nine's with hats, heels, and white gloves.

And, oh yes, when they brought dessert it seems to me they also included a complimentary pack of four cigarettes.

Of course even though the jet age had begun, many of the domestic routes in the late 50s and early 60s were still being flown by propeller-driven airplanes which allowed more time to serve the food.

Let's see . . . wider seats, more space between seat rows, delicious three-course meals, and attractive young lady stewardesses dressed to kill. Not to mention the lack of TSA. A lot has changed, hasn't it?

I remember taking the Texas International Airlines "milk run" Dallas Love Field - Wichita Falls - Midland/Odessa - Clovis NM (where I got off) - Albuquerque. Even in the short leg between Wichita Falls and Midland/Odessa , no more than 15 to 20 minutes, the flight attendant was handing out soft drinks and Lone Star beer, would just about get done when on final approach. Convair 600 turbo props were the usual equipment.

I remember taking the Texas International Airlines "milk run" Dallas Love Field - Wichita Falls - Midland/Odessa - Clovis NM (where I got off) - Albuquerque. Even in the short leg between Wichita Falls and Midland/Odessa , no more than 15 to 20 minutes, the flight attendant was handing out soft drinks and Lone Star beer, would just about get done when on final approach. Convair 600 turbo props were the usual equipment.
Didn't Texas International eventually become one of the pioneer discount airlines with low fares and no service? I believe they were absorbed by or took over Continental. And then Continental took over PeopleExpress. PeopleExpress was my first experience with low cost-no service around 1983 or so. Their BWI-EWR flights were even cheaper than Amtrak at the time, and for a 45 minute flight, you really don't need much service. On the other hand, I had some really bad experiences with Continental in the late 80s. The breakfast service was, "Yoghurt, breakfast sandwich, bagel, pick 2." The legacy carriers still served meals, at least on transcontinental flights until a year or two after 9/11, then it morphed into what we have today.

Flew many a Mile on these Routes including one of my favorites, Love Field in Dallas to Amon Carter in Ft Worth!( No Stew Service on this One!🤣)

32 Miles as the Crow Flies, but with Taxiing, Runup,Take off, Flight, Landing and Taxiing to the Terminal, it was a 30-45 minute Journey!

Flew many a Mile on these Routes including one of my favorites, Love Field in Dallas to Amon Carter in Ft Worth!( No Stew Service on this One!)🤣

32 Miles as the Crow Flies, but with Taxiing, Runup,Take off, Flight, Landing and Taxiing to the Terminal, it was a 30-45 minute Journey!
No Stew Service on this One!

On many short flights with less than 15 or so passengers a F/A is/was not required - flew many times between Oxnard and LAX
without one dehavilland Twin Otter aircraft and from Groton/New London to LGA with similar small capacity aircraft.

Didn't Texas International eventually become one of the pioneer discount airlines with low fares and no service? I believe they were absorbed by or took over Continental. And then Continental took over PeopleExpress. PeopleExpress was my first experience with low cost-no service around 1983 or so. Their BWI-EWR flights were even cheaper than Amtrak at the time, and for a 45 minute flight, you really don't need much service. On the other hand, I had some really bad experiences with Continental in the late 80s. The breakfast service was, "Yoghurt, breakfast sandwich, bagel, pick 2." The legacy carriers still served meals, at least on transcontinental flights until a year or two after 9/11, then it morphed into what we have today.
Yes they were early on with discount fares to meet competition from new startup Southwest. They also started the first frequent flyer program.

In 1980 a holding company Texas Air was formed which took over both TIA and Continental then merged the two under the Continental name.

By then they were no longer the "tree top airlines" I remember from the early 1970s but were a larger regional carrier flying an all DC-9 fleet. I suspect by then service to Clovis had ended as it was a small airport with no control tower or ILS, with approach control provided by nearly Cannon AFB (2040th Comm Squadron which was where I was stationed 1972-1975).

Last edited:
No Stew Service on this One!

On many short flights with less than 15 or so passengers a F/A is/was not required - flew many times between Oxnard and LAX
without one dehavilland Twin Otter aircraft and from Groton/New London to LGA with similar small capacity aircraft.
Had the same experience flying SFO to Santa Rosa and again Philadelphia to Atlantic City. Both of those were twin Otters. On one of those the co-pilot turned and looked out from the cockpit (no door, just a curtain) and asked: "How's everybody doing back there"!

Back