Reporter took the Coast Starlight end to end in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flitcraft

Conductor
Today's Seattle Times had this article on a reporter's trip from LA to Seattle on the Coast Starlight: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/t...he-coast-starlight-train-from-l-a-to-seattle/

The article (not paywalled unless you've already used your monthly allotment of free articles) is pretty detailed and, in my opinion, fair. She is largely positive--though negative on the quality of the breakfast, which I can't argue with, and she does note that she couldn't get much sleep in coach. The pricing she gives at the end of the article is way-off, but other than that, I think reporting like this is rare.

An interesting article to read and with comments about her breakfast's roasted potatoes with which I fully agree! Amtrak's chefs aren't the only chefs that have difficulty in preparing roasted potatoes that I enjoy. I usually do enjoy Amtrak's egg dishes and always like their croissants.

The reporter's Business Class Car Attendant sounded like an excellent one. And, in her dining car experience, she experienced what I like: the un-predictable encounters with other guests. Rarely unpleasant; sometimes resulting in conversations that go well beyond one's meal time. (And, the same can be said about encounters with guests in the Lounge Car as well.)

I have done PDX to LAX in coach, pre-BC era (which is a few hours short of the SEA Times reporter's trip, and it is completely doable and pleasant, if you have patience and endurance. Heck, I've done longer trips in coach, between SAC and CHI twice. Depends on how you view it.

Back