Reserving a Silver Meteor Viewliner II Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I booked 97 from NYP to Miami on 3/29/21. This is the Monday before Easter. I see that someone was riding in the 12 car in the past couple of day in what I considered to be the low season. I had asked for the 11 car, perhaps I should have asked to see if there is a 12 car on that days trip.

I am riding southbound on the 17th, and northbound on the 24th. I spent a significant amount of time on hold to be booked in the 12 car on each leg.

It would kind of suck (for me) if there was a 13 car... :)
Hope you get in a Viewliner II! Make sure to tell us about it

I booked 97 from NYP to Miami on 3/29/21. This is the Monday before Easter. I see that someone was riding in the 12 car in the past couple of day in what I considered to be the low season. I had asked for the 11 car, perhaps I should have asked to see if there is a 12 car on that days trip.
If you want VL2 ask for the 12 car - if there is no 12 then go for 11.

Why not just ask for the highest sleeper that's available on your train at the time of booking - rather than remember to ask for 11 or 12 or 13 or 25....

Original poster here with a frustrated update. I had originally booked the 9811 car and the Silver Star 9111 car for our return. When I booked, I was told these were the highest numbered sleeper cars available on each train. This morning I attempted to modify the reservation with an agent. I needed to switch arrival/departure stations from Alexandria to Washington. There was no fare difference or change fee. Switching stations was easy. I also asked if there were higher number sleeper cars available on either train. I was told no. The agent told me he was going to keep me in the same room on both trains, and just change the station.

When I received my e-ticket, the rooms were changed on both trains. I kept the 9111 car with a different room, I but was switched to 9810 on the Meteor. I called back and spoke to a different agent. After putting me on hold for several minutes, I was told 9810 was the only car available to sell. 9811 would only be available when 9810 was sold out. I explained I was already in 9811 up until 30 minutes ago, when another agent moved me. He said, there was nothing he could do. The only suggestion was to call back closer to departure and if 9810 was full, I could move to another car if space was available.

Does anyone have better advice???

Call again. Ask the new agent. If they say no, then ask for a supervisor. Generally, they pass you on to someone who knows what they are doing and that second person (always for me) has the knowledge to fix it.

Don't accept runarounds from agents. I've heard "that room is more expensive" (No, it isn't); "that room is directly across from your other room" (Wrong! 4 is not across from 5, 6 is across from 5); "I have to cancel and rebook it" (No, just modify it); and more.

Call again. Ask the new agent. If they say no, then ask for a supervisor. Generally, they pass you on to someone who knows what they are doing and that second person (always for me) has the knowledge to fix it.

Don't accept runarounds from agents. I've heard "that room is more expensive" (No, it isn't); "that room is directly across from your other room" (Wrong! 4 is not across from 5, 6 is across from 5); "I have to cancel and rebook it" (No, just modify it); and more.
Sadly, I have found the same sometimes...the agents seem to be focused on completing your call, as soon as possible, and go on to the next...I don't know if this is due to pressure to meet a quota, or they just don't want to be bothered...

I've worked in alot of call centers, but never for Amtrak, but yes it's likely that CSRs are incentivezed to keep their average handle time as low as possible. It's a very easy metric to keep track of. CSRs aren't judged on their customer service per se; they're judged on metrics and adherence to quality control requirements. Also if Amtrak keeps treating sleeping cars as a burdensom afterthought that will reflect in call center training and resources.

Last edited:
On the Southbound Meteor today. Both the 9711 and 9712 cars are VII. Though I will note the 9711 car is labeled "9812" and the 9712 is labeled properly as "9712." The attendant said he is still looking for a room due to the swap apparently.

Last edited:
On the Southbound Meteor today. Both the 9711 and 9712 cars are VII. Though I will note the 9711 car is labeled "9812" and the 9712 is labeled properly as "9712." The attendant said he is still looking for a room due to the swap apparently.

The wrong electronic signs on the car is just an inattentive crew not pushing a button a few times to update the line display. It's not automatic.

The wrong electronic signs on the car is just an inattentive crew not pushing a button a few times to update the line display. It's not automatic.
Yep, I’ve seen 98xx in stations 98 doesn’t go anywhere near. I think it was on the Pennsylvanian.

OK I am the original poster and here is a new update. The queue was so long yesterday that I waited until this morning to call back Amtrak. This time I got a wonderful agent who knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it. She was able to get me in the XX12 cars on both trains (even though others said they did not exist). She also accomplished it in about 1/3 of the time it took everyone else to tell me it was impossible. I guess perseverance pays.

I don't know if this is still a major problem, but there used to be major differences in quality/knowledge of service depending on whether you
are talking to the amtrak employees at the PHL call center or the contracted out res agents in FL. In the past, people (including employees) have asked the rep if they are in FL. call center and then hung up and called back til they reached the more knowledgeable Phl reps.

This time I got a wonderful agent who knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it. She was able to get me in the XX12 cars on both trains (even though others said they did not exist). She also accomplished it in about 1/3 of the time it took everyone else to tell me it was impossible.
Please take the time and effort to contact Amtrak and tell of this great employee - if you remember her name. If you don't remember her name, she may be linked somehow to your reservation number.

Of course, Amtrak snipers here will no doubt assert that ALL agents should be that knowledgeable. While that may be so it isn't so, so ignore them and contact Amtrak. It might make you feel warm and fuzzy all over! :)

Please take the time and effort to contact Amtrak and tell of this great employee - if you remember her name. If you don't remember her name, she may be linked somehow to your reservation number.
I actually asked the agent to transfer me to her supervisor so he knew about her excellent (and fast) service. He was in a conference call but said he would call me back. So far no call.

I actually asked the agent to transfer me to her supervisor so he knew about her excellent (and fast) service. He was in a conference call but said he would call me back. So far no call.

I hope you do hear from the supervisor. Good service does need to be recognized. From the positive comments I made about the crew with whom I experienced on the Auto Train, an upper level management person did respond to me and said that he would pass such comments on to the employees' supervisors for them to be recognized.

Back