Reserving a Silver Meteor Viewliner II Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The eventual disappearance of the VL I eliminates the only advantage (for me at least) their Roomettes had over Superliner Roomettes - a toilet and sink in the room.
What makes you think VL-Is will disappear within a decade or two? 🤔

Last edited:
Inferred it from the talk here. Sounded like they were soon to be a thing of the past being gradually replaced by VL II's.

Me wrong?
Ahem, yeah, sort of. Contrary to the original plans there currently is no funding in the foreseeable future to convert the Viewliner Is to Viewliner II configuration. All that the Viewliner Is are getting is a surface refurbishment like the Amfleets got a couple of years back. So we will have 50 Viewliner Is (actually 49 operational, one benched from the Silver Star crash) and 25 Vielwliner IIs for the foreseeable future.

Ah so, thanks for the info. So my odds are 2:3 of getting an en suite with a Roomette out East. Great. Wife & I both like that idea. Just like home, eh?

Those down-the-hall facilities for Roomettes on the Superliners were akin to our outhouse for the Wife. She'd always want me to spring for a Bedroom.

Suspect that more V-2 sleepers or a close copy will be needed within 3 - 5 years. As to who builds them ???? Now if a replacement for Superliner sleepers is not forth coming then single level sleepers will be needed in much greater numbers.

Suspect that more V-2 sleepers or a close copy will be needed within 3 - 5 years. As to who builds them ???? Now if a replacement for Superliner sleepers is not forth coming then single level sleepers will be needed in much greater numbers.
Leaving aside the Superliner replacement issue, just for the current single level service, unless by some miracle they decide to expand service, there is no need for additional Sleepers, and there will be no need for a couple of decades.

Ah so, thanks for the info. So my odds are 2:3 of getting an en suite with a Roomette out East. Great. Wife & I both like that idea. Just like home, eh?
The probabilities may be a bit more granular than that depending on which train you are traveling by. I don't think the Viewliner II Sleepers will be assigned completely at random since they require special handling in the reservation system. For example at present they are only on the Silver Service. Given their numbers and their teething troubles, they may for the time being be found only on the Silvers and maybe on something like 66/67 or Cardinal.

Last edited:
Just a status update:

I popped into ORL today to do some exploring, and the southbound Meteor happened to be at the platform. There were 3 sleepers: 1st & 3rd were VL II's, 2nd was a VL I. There were also both a Cafe car & a Diner.

I was surprised at the number of people waiting to board. There was also a little hot dog and snacks cart at the platform doing a land-office business, including to the OBS.

Just a status update:

I popped into ORL today to do some exploring, and the southbound Meteor happened to be at the platform. There were 3 sleepers: 1st & 3rd were VL II's, 2nd was a VL I. There were also both a Cafe car & a Diner.
Thanks for the update! I’m taking my chances with the 9710 on June 23, fingers crossed!
Obviously I’m so grateful to be able to travel and am fine with wherever I lay my head that night. Just thought it would be fun to check out the II in comparison to the I I was on in February. :)

Thanks for the update! I’m taking my chances with the 9710 on June 23, fingers crossed!
By June 23, the consist may only have two sleepers as it will have returned to daily service. Someone said on here (The forum, not thread) that the Star will get two sleepers (one of each) and the Meteor will keep it's 3 (same consist as now). That may be changed though.

Ok good to know! I do know when I called to request a switch to 9712 that it was available as well, along with 9711. I didn’t decide to do it because no matter how many times I called or how many supervisors I asked to get transferred to, they could not figure out a way to do it without making a new reservation (vs modified) and charging me an extra $200. 🙄
Anyway, based on that the prediction above seems correct (3 sleepers) on the Meteor but, like you said, it could obviously change! :)

Ok good to know! I do know when I called to request a switch to 9712 that it was available as well, along with 9711. I didn’t decide to do it because no matter how many times I called or how many supervisors I asked to get transferred to, they could not figure out a way to do it without making a new reservation (vs modified) and charging me an extra $200. 🙄
Anyway, based on that the prediction above seems correct (3 sleepers) on the Meteor but, like you said, it could obviously change! :)
Well if the 12 car is available, I would assume it will continue to have 3 sleepers, unless Amtrak really wants to screw some passengers.

The southbound meteor (97) had 3 sleepers today — a VLI in 9710 and VLII’s in 9711 and 9712. I’m assuming they’ll change it to match the other meteor consists by the 23rd but I thought I’d let you know. If you really want to guarantee a VLII I’d probably try to get moved to 9712.

I just saw the Silver Star pass through Orlando (on a Monday for the first time in a very long time). There were 2 sleepers. The 10 car was a V-1 and the 11 car was a V-2.
The Tuesday consist for 92 was the same as yesterday's consist.

The Silver Star normally has a VL2 in the 11 position.
However, that is no guarantee you will get a VL2 in the 11 position. My recent (September 12, 2021) Silver Star trip had a VL1 in both the 10 and 11 car positions. Available equipment no doubt is the determining factor in what each consist will end up being.

Just now discovering this thread as I just booked a trip on the Silver Meteor for January. I was originally in car 9812 but had to move it forward by a week and am now in 9811. I called Amtrak to see if 9812 will be available or if there is only 2 sleepers, and the agent said that no matter what she did it was saying "No consist information available at this time."

Does anyone know how far in advance consist information is available for reps to see so I can call back and check how many sleepers there are?

Back