Reserving a Silver Meteor Viewliner II Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just now discovering this thread as I just booked a trip on the Silver Meteor for January. I was originally in car 9812 but had to move it forward by a week and am now in 9811. I called Amtrak to see if 9812 will be available or if there is only 2 sleepers, and the agent said that no matter what she did it was saying "No consist information available at this time."

Does anyone know how far in advance consist information is available for reps to see so I can call back and check how many sleepers there are?
I believe, as of now, 98 is running with 3 sleepers and generally the 10 and 12 cars are Viewliner 2s. I was able to see 98 the other when it passed through Orlando and that was the consist. I have booked 9810 for my January trip. I would not rely on telephone agents to know consists. Most should be able to see what is available, but some may not bother to look. If you are an AGR member, I would call that number since the agents tend to be more knowledgeable.

Welcome to AU, fellow Floridian. :)

I hope Amtrak keeps their promise that both Silver Service will carry full new VII Livery and get rid of the old one, starting in 2022.

Lake Shore Limited already carry but only one. I'm hoping Cardinal and Crescent will be next.

I believe, as of now, 98 is running with 3 sleepers and generally the 10 and 12 cars are Viewliner 2s. I was able to see 98 the other when it passed through Orlando and that was the consist. I have booked 9810 for my January trip. I would not rely on telephone agents to know consists. Most should be able to see what is available, but some may not bother to look. If you are an AGR member, I would call that number since the agents tend to be more knowledgeable.

That's what I have seen as well. I was hoping to get the 12 car again when I switched but I was unlucky.

The agent knew what I was trying to do but said she wasn't able to look at availability in different cars. I'm not an AGR member yet, so I will try and call back at a different time and see if someone else can pull up the availability.

I hope Amtrak keeps their promise that both Silver Service will carry full new VII Livery and get rid of the old one, starting in 2022.
I have never seen Amtrak promise anything like that. Could you point to a credible source? Thanks.

That's what I have seen as well. I was hoping to get the 12 car again when I switched but I was unlucky.

The agent knew what I was trying to do but said she wasn't able to look at availability in different cars. I'm not an AGR member yet, so I will try and call back at a different time and see if someone else can pull up the availability.
This is not something agents are trained on, so highly unlikely anyone can help you...

Just now discovering this thread as I just booked a trip on the Silver Meteor for January. I was originally in car 9812 but had to move it forward by a week and am now in 9811. I called Amtrak to see if 9812 will be available or if there is only 2 sleepers, and the agent said that no matter what she did it was saying "No consist information available at this time."

Does anyone know how far in advance consist information is available for reps to see so I can call back and check how many sleepers there are?

It sounds to me like the agent was trying to look up the train's actual consist, which is almost never posted earlier than the day of departure. What they should have been looking for was the manifest, which shows what rooms are available and what rooms are sold in which car lines.

This is not something agents are trained on, so highly unlikely anyone can help you...

Agents aren't trained to look up a manifest? Wonder why not.

A friend of mine is taking the silver meteor in March. He said he wanted a VLII if possible, but also said he was in the 9711 car. Since it's months in advance, I said he can call and switch to 9710 or 9712 (since they seem to regaurly go on those cars). He was able to switch to 9710, but the rep said that there is no 9712 car on the train for that date....

A friend of mine is taking the silver meteor in March. He said he wanted a VLII if possible, but also said he was in the 9711 car. Since it's months in advance, I said he can call and switch to 9710 or 9712 (since they seem to regaurly go on those cars). He was able to switch to 9710, but the rep said that there is no 9712 car on the train for that date....
interesting....

Why not? It costs nothing and can be done on the web site. Even if you never get enough points to redeem for anything, there's no downside that I can see.
Oh, I thought they meant one of their Select tiers since they mentioned a dedicated phone number. I am a base member, yes.

Last edited:
I called back tonight and spoke to a different agent who at first wasn't sure and said it was going to cost extra, but put me on hold and spoke to the help desk. He came back and said he was able to switch me to 9810 at no additional charge! (and confirmed that 9810 is a Viewliner II as of right now)

I called back tonight and spoke to a different agent who at first wasn't sure and said it was going to cost extra, but put me on hold and spoke to the help desk. He came back and said he was able to switch me to 9810 at no additional charge! (and confirmed that 9810 is a Viewliner II as of right now)
Glad you found someone who knew who to reach out to for correct info!

I go to upgrade my other 98 reservation to a roomette over the phone tonight since the price dropped. Was quoted $394 difference and then I ask for 9810/12 for VLII and somehow the price goes up to $496. Apparently the 9811 rooms are selling for $100 less according to the agent I spoke with. Never heard of that before. It’s not like I had a room and wanted to switch (which still shouldn’t affect the price)

I go to upgrade my other 98 reservation to a roomette over the phone tonight since the price dropped. Was quoted $394 difference and then I ask for 9810/12 for VLII and somehow the price goes up to $496. Apparently the 9811 rooms are selling for $100 less according to the agent I spoke with. Never heard of that before. It’s not like I had a room and wanted to switch (which still shouldn’t affect the price)
That does not sound right to me either. You may have spoken to an inexperienced agent who did not understand how to put a room pulled by Arrow back in inventory and pull another. I am guessing (but certainly could be wrong) that Arrow pulled a room in the 11 car and that may have been the last one in that bucket. Did you make the reservation? Can you phone back and speak to an AGR agent (who may be more experienced)?

I took 98 from ORL to NYP yesterday and I was in the 10 car, which was pretty full. The 11 car was not quite as full and the 12 car seemed to be half empty.

That does not sound right to me either. You may have spoken to an inexperienced agent who did not understand how to put a room pulled by Arrow back in inventory and pull another. I am guessing (but certainly could be wrong) that Arrow pulled a room in the 11 car and that may have been the last one in that bucket. Did you make the reservation? Can you phone back and speak to an AGR agent (who may be more experienced)?

I took 98 from ORL to NYP yesterday and I was in the 10 car, which was pretty full. The 11 car was not quite as full and the 12 car seemed to be half empty.
I did upgrade because it looks like there were only 2 left in the reduced bucket and one had already sold today. I’m actually on 21 right now to LAX (night 4 of a 5 night cross-county journey) so I was lucky to get a short hold time in a good service area. I will call back after I get back to Tampa on Thursday so I don’t have to worry about getting disconnected or a callback in a bad service area.

I have mixed emotions and reactions to the Viewliner II sleepers. I am the guy (non ADA passenger) who likes the H bedroom. I frequently book a roomette but at the last minute if available upgrade to H bedroom (due to the ridiculous price of bedrooms, perhaps not so much lately). I simply like that space. I, however, do NOT like the configuration of the H bedroom in the Viewliner II (toilet in the room and not in the enclosed bathroom). I clearly understand that these room were (as they should be!) designed for ADA passengers. Since my travels are mostly on the Crescent (which only has the Viewliner I as of now) this has not been an issue with me. Just expressing an opinion and preference.

Is there still an issue with noise coming from underneath bedroom B?
Yes, but the noise is not bad enough to cause me to choose another room. Every time someone in the car flushes, I can hear it when in room B.

Yes, but the noise is not bad enough to cause me to choose another room. Every time someone in the car flushes, I can hear it when in room B.
I am currently booked in bedroom B on the Lake Shore Limited in the Viewliner I (4811). As tempting as it is to move to 4812, I am going to keep my reservation in the Viewliner I for this reason.

I am currently booked in bedroom B on the Lake Shore Limited in the Viewliner I (4811). As tempting as it is to move to 4812, I am going to keep my reservation in the Viewliner I for this reason.
I think (not sure) that the tanks are in the same location in V1 and V2s, but it seems like there is more flushing in the middle of the night on V2s, which makes sense. Also, there is more noise in the 10 car than the 12 car on the Meteor since many passengers in the V1 11 car who do not want to use their in room toilet, walk forward to the 10 car to use the public restrooms. I am in the 11 car on the Star now. The sleeper is not very crowded and it is the last car in the consist. I have not seen any passengers walk back to the rear of the 11 car to use the restrooms. The noise has not been that bad. The same may be true on the Lake Shore Limited since the V2 is behind the V1. I think I have 2 upcoming reservations on the LSL (one in the 11 car and one in the 12 car - both B).

Back