Restaraunts close to Chicago Union Station open Thanksgiving

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about restaurants, per se, but if the hotels in downtown Chicago are as busy this Thursday and Friday as the hotel I work at in downtown Houston then their restaurants will be rocking and rolling. I see that the Palmer House Hilton is putting on a Thanksgiving buffet; it's pricy ($72 adults/$65 seniors) but it should be good.

The historic Walnut Room at Macy’s on State Street (Marshall Fields) will be serving a buffet on Thanksgiving Day.

I don't know about restaurants, per se, but if the hotels in downtown Chicago are as busy this Thursday and Friday as the hotel I work at in downtown Houston then their restaurants will be rocking and rolling. I see that the Palmer House Hilton is putting on a Thanksgiving buffet; it's pricy ($72 adults/$65 seniors) but it should be good.
Thanks for mentioning the cost of the buffet, I'm going to have to cancel my reservations for three.

Also, realize that the big parade will be happenning downtown Thanksgiving morning. That should create some restaurant opportunities open but also traffic snarl.

I'm guessing some of the Greektown places will be open for lunch. Maybe Mannys. (Nope, closed.) Perhaps Millers Pub.

Ultimately, there will probably be a fair amount of stuff open but odd closings, also.

Last edited:
Also, realize that the big parade will be happenning downtown Thanksgiving morning. That should create some restaurant opportunities open but also traffic snarl.

I'm guessing some of the Greektown places will be open for lunch. Maybe Mannys. (Nope, closed.) Perhaps Millers Pub.

Ultimately, there will probably be a fair amount of stuff open but odd closings, also.

Last year a friend and I were looking for lunch on Thanksgiving, and couldn’t find anything in Greektown that was open, nor was Millers Pub open. Wound up settling for the burger bar inside the Palmer House.

I haven't been there but a number of people here seem to like Lew Mitchell's Restaurant.
Had lunch there last year while waiting for the CL. IMHO, it was tourist food, and tourist prices. So-so meal and over crowded. I think they're living on their reputation now, after so many years. There's other places not far, maybe a short Uber ride. And by the way, I'm a life-long Chicagoan of 80 plus years, so have a little experience. :)

Had lunch there last year while waiting for the CL. IMHO, it was tourist food, and tourist prices. So-so meal and over crowded. I think they're living on their reputation now, after so many years. There's other places not far, maybe a short Uber ride. And by the way, I'm a life-long Chicagoan of 80 plus years, so have a little experience. :)

Sadly, I’m going to have to agree with this. I was there with a friend visiting from out of town a couple months ago. “Two scrambled eggs” filled up the entire plate and definitely tasted...artificial. I’ve also noticed a decline in their overall customer service/friendliness of waitstaff since I first went there over a decade ago.

:(

I checked out The Berghoff by trying to make a reservation for Thursday at various times throughout the day. No soap--which leads me to believe they will not be openn.

58 Chicago restaurants open Thanksgiving:
https://www.opentable.com/promo.asp...f=551&size=100&sort=Popularity&regionids[]=11

This list of 20 is from 2018 but it makes sense to think some/all will also be open 2019, maybe:
https://chicago.eater.com/maps/best-restaurants-open-thanksgiving-chicago-2018

This list was published 6 days ago:
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/chicago/restaurants-open-for-thanksgiving-dinner-in-chicago

This list was published last month:
https://www.choosechicago.com/blog/dining/where-to-eat-thanksgiving-dinner-in-chicago/

Prices vary, locations vary, some near CUS, some a distance away. Hope you find something that suits you.

I agree, I spent over $20 for a sandwich, coffee, potato chips, and a tiny amount of cole slaw. Also they were out of the first thing I ordered and it took 15 minutes for them to come back and inform me.

It looks like Marianos grocery is open.

Something has to be open in the Randolph Street restaurant corridor.

Ann Sathers is always open (and busy) holidays. But that's not anywhere near the station.

Back