Restart of cross-border services delayed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously need to plan a trip to Rouses Point on the day the Adirondack resumes to Montreal. I’ll bet they’ll have a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the junction just south of the border!! I would love to see that!! Have a brass band and all kinds of comradely!!

Greyhound planned to resume service north of Bellingham, 2x daily, through to Los Angeles today (17 Nov 21). Then the highway was closed due to the flooding/mudslides. I'm not sure if they were able to start up or not.

They have a disclaimer that in case one side or the other of the border won't let you through, it's your problem. A friend in Ferndale (once a stop on the GN mail train) says that there are still many businesses shuttered in Blaine (US border town), so not a good place to be dropped off.

Greyhound planned to resume service north of Bellingham, 2x daily, through to Los Angeles today (17 Nov 21). Then the highway was closed due to the flooding/mudslides. I'm not sure if they were able to start up or not.

They have a disclaimer that in case one side or the other of the border won't let you through, it's your problem. A friend in Ferndale (once a stop on the GN mail train) says that there are still many businesses shuttered in Blaine (US border town), so not a good place to be dropped off.
When I lived in Vancouver, Canadians flocked to Blaine to buy stuff that was much cheaper than in Canada,( this was when the Canadian Dollar was either stronger than the US Dollar or @ Par)especially Alcohol,Food,Clothing,Gasoline and Auto parts.

When I lived in Vancouver, Canadians flocked to Blaine to buy stuff that was much cheaper than in Canada,( this was when the Canadian Dollar was either stronger than the US Dollar or @ Par)especially Alcohol,Food,Clothing,Gasoline and Auto parts.
We used to do the same when we lived in Ontario in the 1950s, drive the 100 miles to Sault Ste. Marie then take the ferry to the Michigan side to buy stuff. Cheaper even with the Michigan sales tax.

As far as restoring the Montrealer is concerned I suspect with the current situation that will go back to the back burner for a while.

As far as restoring the Montrealer is concerned I suspect with the current situation that will go back to the back burner for a while.

Montrealer restoration delays are 100% in Quebec. US side is ready to go. The last change in Quebec government resulted in a multi-year delay while they tried to get the new Quebec government to pay attention to the project at all.

We used to do the same when we lived in Ontario in the 1950s, drive the 100 miles to Sault Ste. Marie then take the ferry to the Michigan side to buy stuff. Cheaper even with the Michigan sales tax.

No sales tax in Oregon, so on three-day weekends folks would come down to Portland for some shopping.

In 1973 when the Pacific International was running Amtrak brought us four carloads of Shriners for Canadian Thanksgiving, sealed off from the rest of the trains. Their cars were switched in Seattle onto the Coast Starlight to Portland. I organized the Gray Line transfer to their hotel. They were a wild bunch but they were serious about visiting the children's hospital that their fund-raising helped to support.

Right now the flooding condition around Vancouver, BC is causing complete isolation for the residents. No rail, road, or water access as of now. Winter may be very bad for many residents of southern BC ? Once rail service is restored from Vancouver - Everett freight trains may overwhelm that route. However there could be some Amtrak service for evacuations.

Back