Restaurants near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of good suggestions here, and add the caveat that some establishments near the train station are closed on weekends. A new discovery on our recent Lake Shore trip is a place called Tavern something, at Ogilvie (short walk down Canal St., at Canal and Madison). Popular with the local after-work crowd, excellent burgers, fish and chips. etc. Not cheap but not expensive (the typical 13-15$ for a big city burger). It's close enough that you can get there and back during a short layover.
We were there on a week day, though, again on Saturday-Sunday you will have more limited options in the Loop area.

As for what you were saying Ken/Maverick, yes I doubt Walnut Room will close anytime soon. More, my worry is like say in 10-15 years, and considering the struggles other traditional department store retailers are facing. I.e. Sears (though they also have been mismanaged by hedge fund guy Eddie Lambert, and don't get me started on how horrible he is!), JCPenney (aren't yet close to bankruptcy yet, but for sure they are struggling), Stage Stores (parent company of Peebles, Stage, Beall's, etc, which often are in rural areas or Texas). And also considering that several regional department store companies like Bon-Ton(parent of Carson's, Herberger's, Boston Store, Bergner's, Bon-Ton, etc), Gottschalk's (out of California), and Dunlaps (Oklahoma) all had to shut their doors in the last 5-10 years.

I don't think any time soon, Macy's will stop operating as a retailer. It's just the stories I've read behind the scenes, sometimes make me worry for them long term. Plus I knew someone who worked for Macy's for several years, and he'd always tell me stories about that company behind the scenes that never sounded good.

Back to thinking about places to eat, this place would be a short L ride(near both Merchandise Mart and Grand/State), bus, Divvy, or Uber/Lyft away from Union Station. But I always liked Xoco(ran by Rick Bayless), a lot. The churro options they have there, are really nice. It's in the south portion of River North, just north of the river.

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of Russian Tea Time, I found it to be, well, too Russian in the wrong way or sense, as in surly service, though their cocktails are reasonably priced for after work (though not as good as Ceres in the CBOT building). I prefer the restaurant next door - no, not Panda Express, on the other side, Tesori. Just a block west on Adams is BeinMeSabe, a Venezuelan/Colombian Arepas (dumpling/empanadas) which is really good, though I don't know their hours anymore.

If you are looking for something unique, Italian Village on Monroe is worth a visit (no elevator to the basement or second floor, which are quirkier than the expensive restaurant on the main floor, however) - ok food, but one of the oldest restaurants in Chicago and retro decor.

In the 300 S. Riverside building (immediately above the south platforms) there is a lunch/cocktail place called Little Toasted which isn't bad and has outdoor seating for good weather (Chicago has been cold and foggy so far this "summer").

Pizano's is definitely better than Giordano's. However, near Union I recommend Beggers Pizza, a south side chain, at 310 S. Clinton which is literally kitty corner across the street from the SW corner of the Great Hall. And is pretty darn good!

Some office buildings, such as the Board of Trade (in the basement) still have cafeteria's rather than "food halls" (gussied up food courts to my mind) which can be pretty good. Most places in the loop are now pricy fast casual lunch places these days rather than old school lunch grills, though there are still a few. There's a Chicken Planet at Wells and Van Buren which does decent roasted chicken with sides - not fancy, but I think they have a couple of tables. Greek Kitchen at Wells & Van Buren is ok too.

Manny's at Jefferson and Roosevelt is pretty unique and inexpensive - you might also spot local political celebrities there (though you probably don't know then on sight).

I second Manny's Deli! I was so sad when they left Midway Airport. Add Lou Malnati for authentic Chicago Pizza and if you want to go to Little Italy on Taylor Street, go to Mario's for Italian Lemonade and across the street is Al's Italian Beef, a Chicago delicacy.

I also agree about Chicago's lack of "summer" this summer!

1. Dine in an old street car at Tutto Italiano, 501 S. Wells Street

2. In Greektown, previously mentioned -- walkable or a short rde -- my favorite is Artopolis, 306 S. Halstead St.

Is #1 the restaurant I always notice, on the north side of the street of Congress Parkway(I'll always say the old street name) with the old streetcar/traincar? Never had eaten there, but I've spotted that place so many times over the years. Side note in Kenosha if you eat at Frank's Diner(sorry this is NOT a Chicago specific place to eat, but it spurred my memories of going to Frank's in Kenosha), that there's a part of the restaurant where you essentially eat inside what used to be an actual train car of some sort.

Is #1 the restaurant I always notice, on the north side of the street of Congress Parkway(I'll always say the old street name) with the old streetcar/traincar? Never had eaten there, but I've spotted that place so many times over the years. Side note in Kenosha if you eat at Frank's Diner(sorry this is NOT a Chicago specific place to eat, but it spurred my memories of going to Frank's in Kenosha), that there's a part of the restaurant where you essentially eat inside what used to be an actual train car of some sort.

Yup, that's the one, though it seems it should be a 400 address rather than 500 as it's south of Congress. Is Franks the place on the south side of Kenosha Downtown?

Also, there is a risk that the Walnut Room may close since Messy's is getting rid of a large amount of sales space in the State Street store (their sales there have been way way down since they took over). A lot of the upper floor area will become coworking or the like if I remember the plans correctly.

I prefer the restaurant next door - no, not Panda Express, on the other side, Tesori.

Tesori is closed: a victim of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's strike this Spring, in whose building they were housed. Another restaurant is, allegedly, slated to open there this fall.

Some office buildings, such as the Board of Trade (in the basement) still have cafeteria's rather than "food halls" (gussied up food courts to my mind) which can be pretty good. Most places in the loop are now pricy fast casual lunch places these days rather than old school lunch grills, though there are still a few.

A list of such old school grills and cafeterias would be well worthwhile.

What I really miss are the restaurants/sandwich shops with bars in the basement that used to be all over downtown.

Manny's at Jefferson and Roosevelt is pretty unique and inexpensive - you might also spot local political celebrities there (though you probably don't know then on sight).

I recommend Mannys to everyone who comes through town. But, they always pass, for some reason, wanting deep dish pizza. They don't know what they're missing.

Another place which has been mentioned before is Pierogi Heaven on Wells. There's an intetesting crepe place across the street.

And, hey, for something Chicago classic: Ronnies Steakhouse ny the Clark/Lake L stop!

Tesori is closed: a victim of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's strike this Spring, in whose building they were housed. Another restaurant is, allegedly, slated to open there this fall.

A list of such old school grills and cafeterias would be well worthwhile.

What I really miss are the restaurants/sandwich shops with bars in the basement that used to be all over downtown.

I recommend Mannys to everyone who comes through town. But, they always pass, for some reason, wanting deep dish pizza. They don't know what they're missing.

Another place which has been mentioned before is Pierogi Heaven on Wells. There's an intetesting crepe place across the street.

And, hey, for something Chicago classic: Ronnies Steakhouse ny the Clark/Lake L stop!

I wondered why it wasn't on Google Maps.... It was quite nice. But I guess heavily CSO dependent.

An old school grill list would be great - get on it NOW!

Has anyone been to Bombay House and Grill, the Indian restaurant on VanBuren between Clinton and Jefferson? At the very least, it's close to Union Station....

Yup, that's the one, though it seems it should be a 400 address rather than 500 as it's south of Congress. Is Franks the place on the south side of Kenosha Downtown?

Also, there is a risk that the Walnut Room may close since Messy's is getting rid of a large amount of sales space in the State Street store (their sales there have been way way down since they took over). A lot of the upper floor area will become coworking or the like if I remember the plans correctly.

What hysterical, drama laden comments to make. Macy’s State Street is their 3rd highest grossing store, just behind Herald Square and Union Square. The unused upper floors have been sold and are being redeveloped. The Walnut Room remaining just where it has always been. Stop it already with your hate filled rumor rants.

Is the current Incarnation of Berghoff's any good? I haven't been there in decades.

Is the current Incarnation of Berghoff's any good? I haven't been there in decades.
Yes. Berghoff's is one of my favorite restaurants, and some of the items on their menu change to match the season.

For example, I love their pot roast, but it's generally only available during autumn and winter.

Berghoff's is OK; not as close to authentic German as it was. Some say it never was! My favorite downtown restaurant is Italian Village, at 71 W. Monroe, from 1927, one of the oldest in Chicago. It's actually 3 restaurants in one, each on each floor, each with a different ambiance, and price point. La Cantina is especially cute!

Berghoff's is OK; not as close to authentic German as it was. Some say it never was! My favorite downtown restaurant is Italian Village, at 71 W. Monroe, from 1927, one of the oldest in Chicago. It's actually 3 restaurants in one, each on each floor, each with a different ambiance, and price point. La Cantina is especially cute!
My wife and I ate at Berghoff's a couple of years ago, meeting some others. It was good ... better than I had recalled from years back.

On a mission tomorrow, in search of the quintessential Chicago dog. Mustard, no ketchup, all beef, with ingredients i don't normally care for such as raw onions and pickle relish. Will report back if successful and if I remember to.

On a mission tomorrow, in search of the quintessential Chicago dog. Mustard, no ketchup, all beef, with ingredients i don't normally care for such as raw onions and pickle relish. Will report back if successful and if I remember to.
Gold Coast Dogs are very good and there's one Upstairs in the Union Station Food Court!

Back