Restoring Service to Southern Montana (NYT Article)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Big Sky Passenger Rail Authority is seeing dollar signs in its dreams, now that Biden's infrastructure bill is alive:

https://www.kpax.com/news/montana-n...gains-new-members-eyes-infrastructure-funding
I can't imagine a NCH restoration actually coming in ahead of the Texas Chief or Broadway Limited, if there were any new long-distance service. At the prices the freight RRs are charging before agreeing to host passenger trains, $2B will not go far.
At the risk of repeating myself, BUY. THE. TRACKS. I don't think Montana local or state government is sensible enough to do that though.

At the risk of repeating myself, BUY. THE. TRACKS. I don't think Montana local or state government is sensible enough to do that though.

That and, um, the tracks aren't for sale and in all likelihood never will be.

Dennis Washington is doing quite well for himself with them - and BNSF is wishing it hadn't given him a 99-year lease.

That and, um, the tracks aren't for sale and in all likelihood never will be.

Oh, when a state government is buying, things are for sale even if the owner doesn't want to sell them. You know that. Although railroads have some federal protection from state-level eminent domain, in practice once the state's US Senators start advocating for compulsory purchase, it's for sale. The rest of the Senate will generally be glad to horse-trade and change legislation if necessary.

Oh, when a state government is buying, things are for sale even if the owner doesn't want to sell them. You know that. Although railroads have some federal protection from state-level eminent domain, in practice once the state's US Senators start advocating for compulsory purchase, it's for sale. The rest of the Senate will generally be glad to horse-trade and change legislation if necessary.
It is obvious that a number of things must happen to get the North Coast line reactivated for passenger service; new equipment, line rehab, political, state and Amtrak's support in doing it. As for the state owning the lines; South Dakota purchased the former Milwaukee Road RR lines there and the best that they have (even with federal grants) are leases to slow freight operations along with a little progress on the track rehab.. Montana may be two steps ahead but getting all the players and equipment to make this route happen would be a huge project.

Back