Restoring Traditional meals in the Dining Car?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

M

MDRailfan

I heard when the western LD return to daily that the meal service will return to traditional from flexible. Any idea when the eastern LD will do the same. I know AT never changed but I was referring to others?

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I heard when the western LD return to daily that the meal service will return to traditional from flexible. Any idea when the eastern LD will do the same. I know AT never changed but I was referring to others?
Amtrak has just hinted that it may happen some time in the latter half of this year, but there is no set date. It is mostly reading between the lines at present.

fdaley

Service Attendant
Officially Amtrak is returning to the pre-pandemic service levels, which had traditional dining on the western trains and "flexible" meals (Amtrak-speak for prepackaged food tubs reheated on board) on the eastern overnight trains except for Autotrain. There have been some vague comments from Amtrak officials about changes being contemplated within the next year for the eastern trains, but we don't know yet whether that means real dining service or some other variation on the current service model.

Even on the western trains, it appears Covid restrictions will at least temporarily prohibit or limit normal seating arrangements in the diners, so many sleeper customers may wind up being served in their rooms, but at least those trains are expected to return to the traditional level of on-board food preparation and menu selections.

Last edited:

me_little_me

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Their plan is to follow what the AU members suggested were better than the flex meal - and that ranges from garbage from the Fresh Kills landfill to others just slightly better than the current meals. Then they will say that the frequent riders suggested those changes. 😾