Resumption of Amtrak service to Canada (2022-2023 Q2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I ,made reservations for 69 at AGR, they told me to arrive NYP ONE HOUR before departure. No request for my passport number over the phone. (Little loophole there).

I suppose that means gate dragon customs theatre and kindergarten lines will be alive and well. I'll have to buy some extra Dr Scholl's shoe padding.
Pass[ports are not required for the Canadian border (land or sea) I travel with an EDL (only available in some states) and I believe a Nexus Card is valid as well. Air travel is still Passport Req'd.

Pass[ports are not required for the Canadian border (land or sea) I travel with an EDL (only available in some states) and I believe a Nexus Card is valid as well. Air travel is still Passport Req'd.
Most states don't have Enhaced Driver's Licenses. And the number of people holding Nexus cards is even less. For practical purposes, most travelers will need to have a passport.

Maybe more like Canada geese. We can only hope that customs clearance will now get top priority for Central Station in Montreal. The stop at St. Lambert can be skipped, and travel time will be reduced. Upgrading that line to the U.S. border would help as well.
Cutting out St Lambert is much easier said than done. Quebec and VIA Rail will have to agree.

Most states don't have Enhaced Driver's Licenses. And the number of people holding Nexus cards is even less. For practical purposes, most travelers will need to have a passport.
For crossing the land border you don’t need a Passport Book. A Passport Card is sufficient. I have done it on the Adirondack in the past as a matter of fact. I always have it in my wallet should some nosey LEO insist on makng sure that I am an American citizen 🤷🏻

Looks like the connection from the southbound Adirondack to the westbound LSL that existed pre-2020 may be no more - it still arrives at SDY before the LSL, but with less than an hour to spare (and Arrow won’t let you book it). Perhaps they reads it later, though that connection was only possible in one direction anyway - you couldn’t go eastbound LSL to northbound Adirondack without staying overnight. I did use it once 12 or so years ago from Burlington, VT via the now-defunct Port Kent ferry - though these days you could just use the Ethan Allen for that trip…
Is the Port Kent ferry permanently defunct, or just closed for the season?

The one hour requirement in SDY seems a bit much with such a small station and nothing there without venturing out, but knowing the delays common with the LSL and likely with the new Adirondack schedule coming southbound I reluctantly suppose it’s reasonable.

For crossing the land border you don’t need a Passport Book. A Passport Card is sufficient. I have done it on the Adirondack in the past as a matter of fact. I always have it in my wallet should some nosey LEO insist on makng sure that I am an American citizen 🤷🏻
Yes a passport card is good for LAND travel to Canada Mexico or the Caribbean. I use it all the time to cross the border here in Maine as you can carry it in your wallet like a driver's license.

Why would VIA Rail or the Province of Quebec have any say in whether the train should continue to stop in Saint Lambert or not?

Customs and Border controls.

The Province of Quebec is paying to move Customs and Border control to the Montreal Station. Like we have at Vancouver. This way the train will then run sealed to the US and not required any Customs and Border check at the actual border saving a 2 hour delay or so. The Maple Leaf going to Toronto has the 2 hour delay baked in, even when the actual Customs and Border checks were taken less than a hour.

Imagine sitting in station waiting your departure time after you have cleared Customs and Border. That going to be the most frustrating one hour of your entire trip.

The VIA Rail point is the transfer passenger. There a lot of passenger traffic that get on at Saints Lambert. It was a common way to connect from the east. They can try to do the Customs and Border off train at Saints Lambert but that going to be a cost issue.

Is the Port Kent ferry permanently defunct, or just closed for the season?

The one hour requirement in SDY seems a bit much with such a small station and nothing there without venturing out, but knowing the delays common with the LSL and likely with the new Adirondack schedule coming southbound I reluctantly suppose it’s reasonable.

Lake Champlain Ferry website is too cowardly to admit it, but it is gone for good. Two of the ferries were cut up for scrap a year ago (Adirondack and Champlain). A 3rd (Valcour) is rotting away and not seaworthy on the NY side. The Burlington piers have been converted to other uses. They are unsubsidized and unregulated and can do whatever they like.

I would not trust any connection with the southbound Adirondack less than 3 hours, whether they guarantee it or not, and Amtrak would be foolish to allow it.

The Province of Quebec is paying to move Customs and Border control to the Montreal Station. Like we have at Vancouver. This way the train will then run sealed to the US and not required any Customs and Border check at the actual border saving a 2 hour delay or so. The Maple Leaf going to Toronto has the 2 hour delay baked in, even when the actual Customs and Border checks were taken less than a hour.

Imagine sitting in station waiting your departure time after you have cleared Customs and Border. That going to be the most frustrating one hour of your entire trip.

The VIA Rail point is the transfer passenger. There a lot of passenger traffic that get on at Saints Lambert. It was a common way to connect from the east. They can try to do the Customs and Border off train at Saints Lambert but that going to be a cost issue.

I have never seen more than 2 people get on or off at St Lambert, and half the time, the northbound train blasts right through. There are no offical connections at all between Amtrak and VIA Rail. Neither railroad will hold their train. You are totally on your own if you try it.

All Quebec is doing is paying C$1 million - again - to draw up plans for Preclearance at Gare Central, nothing is budgeted to build it. If it ever happens, the train simply will not stop at St Lambert.

Since the Adirondack is not a VIA train north of the border, and does not handle local Canadian passengers, it can depart CBSA Lacolle northbound when they are done and arrive Montreal early.

I probably should have said ground travel which would include ferry or cruise ship 🥴
I’ve always thought if they could have trains connecting under the English Channel, why can’t some islands be linked with a tunnel, instead of relying on maritime schedules. Then I started actually traveling the Caribbean on cruises and realized there’s a lot more distance than it looks on a map.

I have never seen more than 2 people get on or off at St Lambert, and half the time, the northbound train blasts right through. There are no offical connections at all between Amtrak and VIA Rail. Neither railroad will hold their train. You are totally on your own if you try it.
I have no experience with the northbound Adirondack, however have twice been on the Ocean stopped on the other platform at St. Lambert when the southbound Amtrak arrived to large crowds - most recently in 2019. I suspected traffic from the Montreal 'burbs to New York State rather than any connections however, and figured Amtrak must be selling seats. As with VIA in Toronto, it's far more likely that suburban passengers would prefer not to travel downtown to board any train if they didn't have to.

Lake Champlain Ferry website is too cowardly to admit it, but it is gone for good. Two of the ferries were cut up for scrap a year ago (Adirondack and Champlain). A 3rd (Valcour) is rotting away and not seaworthy on the NY side. The Burlington piers have been converted to other uses. They are unsubsidized and unregulated and can do whatever they like.

I would not trust any connection with the southbound Adirondack less than 3 hours, whether they guarantee it or not, and Amtrak would be foolish to allow it.
I agree, as I said reluctantly given the lack of amenities in SDY. Of course there’s Bombers and other places to eat that are a short walk. The only saving grace to make a shorter connection would be the LSL’s usual delays working in your favor, but with my luck that’s when it would run on time.

That’s too bad about Port Kent…. I was with my kids one Columbus Day weekend almost 20 years ago, we went to the ECHO museum and took the Port Kent ferry from Burlington on what would be the last weekend of the season. That was my plan for dinner, we’d eat on the ferry, but lo and behold they used a standard ferry that last day, which meant bad coffee and no food. I’ve yet to experience the true Port Kent ferry and it looks like I never will :(

For those not familiar, this useful little diagram from Trainweb.org illustrates many of the discussion points in this thread.

View attachment 31757
Lacolle CP is an actual out of use station with a nice stone head house. Lacolle CN is a name post in the middle of a field, located adjacent to a road C&I checkpoint.

Cantic has a hand thrown switch which is normally aligned towards St. Albans. AFAICT the only user of the segment between Rouses Point and Cantic is the Adirondack.

I am well aware that moving the border checks away from the actual border necessitates the elimination of the stop in Saint-Lambert and more meant „why would they be able to insist on keeping that stop?“. For instance, the Province of Quebec certainly doesn‘t have any say in border matters and unlike with the Maple Leaf, VIA isn’t involved in the operation of the Adirondack (they only do servicing for Amtrak)…

I booked the first Adirondack out of Albany on April 3rd. Two nights in Montreal and back on the 5th. I was on one of the very last ones in March 2020. Only downside is the weather. Two weeks out they are calling for snow and rain showers and a high of 40,but hotel rooms are inexpensive and it will be a kick being on the first Adirondack in three years.

I am well aware that moving the border checks away from the actual border necessitates the elimination of the stop in Saint-Lambert and more meant „why would they be able to insist on keeping that stop?“. For instance, the Province of Quebec certainly doesn‘t have any say in border matters and unlike with the Maple Leaf, VIA isn’t involved in the operation of the Adirondack (they only do servicing for Amtrak)…
So per you; the Province of Quebec who funded this change has no say. VIA who does work for Amtrak has no say. Seem to me everyone who is involved in this, has access to the table and there voice can be heard.

Will a service provider have the ability to change something, very unlikely. Will the Province of Quebec who is paying for this, have the ability to make changes? Of course they can, it’s there money.

Money talks. Money makes this change possible. No money, no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back