Resumption of Amtrak service to Canada (2022-2023 Q2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, some good news, although they were doing some qualification runs late last winter on the Cascades, IIRC, but resumption was still months away.

Still, it makes me think that at least the track issues on the Rouses Point Sub may have been resolved?

ESPA has said half the trackage is good for 10MPH. It had been 30MPH where there was jointed rail and 49MPH in most other locales.

It also crawls around curves in St Jean, Brossard, and Castle Gardens. It seems the Rouses Pt sub is a compost heap of various lines stitched together, one segment being the former Montreal & Southern Counties interurban.

So if 24 of the miles goes from 30 to 15 MPH for passenger trains, that's about 50 minutes more running time.

When I rode a Cascade Talgo to Vancouver in 2006, most of the Canadian side was also quite a slow schlep.

ESPA has said half the trackage is good for 10MPH. It had been 30MPH where there was jointed rail and 49MPH in most other locales.

It also crawls around curves in St Jean, Brossard, and Castle Gardens. It seems the Rouses Pt sub is a compost heap of various lines stitched together, one segment being the former Montreal & Southern Counties interurban.

So if 24 of the miles goes from 30 to 15 MPH for passenger trains, that's about 50 minutes more running time.

When I rode a Cascade Talgo to Vancouver in 2006, most of the Canadian side was also quite a slow schlep.
So are these wonders of high speed rail privately held or publicly owned tracks?

Well, some good news, although they were doing some qualification runs late last winter on the Cascades, IIRC, but resumption was still months away.

Still, it makes me think that at least the track issues on the Rouses Point Sub may have been resolved?
i think all the qualification runs mean is that Amtrak may believe that its at least possible that the line can be resumed at some point. Crews have to keep qualified on the line and do periodic runs as such. I dont think a return of the line at anytime real soon is imminent despite such qualification runs. And its not guaranteed service will ever return.

i think all the qualification runs mean is that Amtrak may believe that its at least possible that the line can be resumed at some point. Crews have to keep qualified on the line and do periodic runs as such. I dont think a return of the line at anytime real soon is imminent despite such qualification runs. And its not guaranteed service will ever return.
Yeah, they were doing qualification runs to Vancouver in February and service didn't resume until September 26th.

It may have seemed slow, but most of it is at least 30 mph. The Fraser Bridge is slow, and there is a speed restriction through White Rock because of heavy pedestrian traffic on the beach promenade right beside the tracks.

That isn't a secondary line, it is BNSF's mainline route into Canada and their route to the Robert's Bank coal terminal.

Proposals to use CP have merit but if the tracks around the border are as bad as ever then time to fix them no matter which route is used.

Proposals to use CP have merit but if the tracks around the border are as bad as ever then time to fix them no matter which route is used.
While I do not fully understand "...if the tracks around the border are as bad as ever then time to fix them no matter which route is used." I will say that the CP connection at Rouses Point is a mainline connection (insofar as the former D&H itself can be considered a mainline) and the primary connection to CP's former D&H. CN's interchange at Rouses Point is very lightly used. They are maintained at levels appropriate to their use, with the CP line maintained to a higher standard than the CN line. While you might not be able to break any speed records on the CP, it allows higher speeds than 10 mph.

I don't know what you mean about "tracks around the border", but it is CN's track north of Rousses Pt that is at 10MPH, which Amtrak need not use at all if they rerouted from there on CP to Lucien L'Allier, the legacy route of the D&H (one town along the way is named after it as "Delson"), part of which is already used by EXO commuter trains, and all the track is fine.

The logical next step is to get the Mayor of Montreal, Valerie Plante, the head of the tourist office and the M.P.'s whose ridings are along the route to get to the federal transportation head in Ottawa and also Prime Minister Trudeau. CN will get the message and upgrade the tracks.

The logical next step is to get the Mayor of Montreal, Valerie Plante, the head of the tourist office and the M.P.'s whose ridings are along the route to get to the federal transportation head in Ottawa and also Prime Minister Trudeau. CN will get the message and upgrade the tracks.
maybe the trans head in Ottawa is too preoccupied with buffer cars these days SMH.

Reactions: JWM
MODERATOR's NOTE: More than a dozen posts on border crossing experience have been moved to a more appropriate thread for them at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...s-procedures-and-experiences-on-amtrak.82522/
Please direct posts about border crossing experiences and procedures to the thread mentioned above and reserve this thread for discussing cross border service resumption issues

Thanks for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

Also needs to sign a contract with EXO to access Central Station.

CBSA and CBP were demanding on-board inspections be declared temporary and the pre-clearance facility in Montreal be signed in blood before they agree to anything. It hasn't even been fully designed yet nor funded.

I suspect this State Senator is merely showing he's "on it".

Last edited:
yep, though i believe an Amtrak spokesperson was quoted as saying they are hoping to resume service as soon as possible, but not before spring. I will say that all the chatter and speaking with multiple people i know in the rail world, it looks like the train is likely to return in 2023 but we shall see.

On Thursday just before 4 p.m. I saw a 3-car Amfleet train heading south approaching Fort Edward. It wasn't the Ethan Allen, which had already gone through about two and a half hours earlier. The most obvious explanation would be some kind of test run for the Adirondack, which would normally be heading southbound at almost precisely that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back