Resumption of Amtrak service to Canada (2022-2023 Q2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTV News: Canada dropping travel mask mandate and ending COVID-19 border and quarantine restrictions

Effective October 1:
  • Foreign nationals won't need to be vaccinated to enter the country;
  • Incoming travellers to major airports won't be subject to random mandatory COVID-19 tests;
  • Unvaccinated Canadians will no longer have to isolate when they return;
  • Travellers will not have to monitor or report if they develop COVID-19 symptoms upon arrival in Canada;
  • Filling out the ArriveCan app prior to landing will become optional; and
  • It'll no longer be mandatory to wear a face mask on planes or trains.

For the new SEA to VAC Cascades trains today, what's the Rolling Stock. One of the remaining Oregon Talgo sets or Horizon cars? Might be going up to Bellingham for a quick trip in couple weeks as part of a week were planning to spend in Seattle, we were planning to just rent a car, assuming there isnt a train, but if there using Talgos I'll be tempted to try and do the train instead.

For the new SEA to VAC Cascades trains today, what's the Rolling Stock. One of the remaining Oregon Talgo sets or Horizon cars? Might be going up to Bellingham for a quick trip in couple weeks as part of a week were planning to spend in Seattle, we were planning to just rent a car, assuming there isnt a train, but if there using Talgos I'll be tempted to try and do the train instead.

Photo posted on Facebook today (of people on the first trip) shows Horizon equipment.

Good thing nothing is happening in Cansda like a bad Hurricane in the Maritimes,or any other important stuff,so he can Jet off to another Funeral!🤔
He actually canceled the trip at the last minute to "supervise" the hurricane clean-up. They announced the removal of Covid restrictions anyway, which is good news for those hoping to visit here on Amtrak or other means. Based on other travel forums, many here are waiting for the other shoe to drop on ArriveCan, specifically if those choosing to not use it will be penalized and sent to a longer line. We used it returning from L.A. recently and it did save a ton of time at the airport vs. those who didn't.

It's Horizons. The only current operational Talgo 8 set is on the Seattle-Eugene 503/508 pair and is likely to remain on it for the foreseeable future. Besides, the two Talgo 8 sets are owned by ODOT and I think they'd be allergic to using them on a train that doesn't come within a hundred miles of Oregon. If and when the second ODOT Talgo 8 set returns to service, it'll likely be on the the Eugene-Seattle 500/507 pair. The midday Seattle Portland trains and Seattle Vancouver 516/519 pair are likely to remain Horizons until the WSDOT Ventures arrive.

I'd take the train anyway. It is considerably more scenic than Interstate 5.

Last edited:
Per the Canadian "lawTuber" I follow (Viva Frei), PM Trudeau's statement said that they were not renewing the "Order in Council" (like an executive order in the USA, with no Parliamentary vote involved) which authorized these border crossing requirements, but that they reserved the right to issue a similar "Order in Council" reinstating those border crossing requirements at some (unspecified) point in the future.

Per the Canadian "lawTuber" I follow (Viva Frei), PM Trudeau's statement said that they were not renewing the "Order in Council" (like an executive order in the USA, with no Parliamentary vote involved) which authorized these border crossing requirements, but that they reserved the right to issue a similar "Order in Council" reinstating those border crossing requirements at some (unspecified) point in the future.
Yeah, I know, but from a practical political standpoint it is pretty much a one-way street. Things would have to get much worse to reimpose it. Like a highly lethal strain of the virus.

An accurate and very important point overlooked by most media. Tonight's news made it sound like these things were gone forever.

It would also be nice for the US to reciprocate and remove the "jumping through hoops" currently required for Canadians, since none are required for returning Americans. Most Americans will never see the five-page CDC document we're required to complete to board a plane to the US. Fortunately all that's required for land border crossings (including trains) is proof of vaccination.

Well, I'm all set to ride the first Cascade train to Canada from Mount Vernon, WA. to Vancouver, BC and back on Monday, 9/26. ArriveCAN filled out. It get easier to use each time as I've been back and forth about five times so far this year.

How was the trip? Anything special to commemorate the re-start of the service?

How does one get between Amtrak and VIA using that bus ?
You would have to take Detroit transit (DDOT/SMART buses on Woodward or the QLine) from Amtrak to the Tunnel Bus stop, take the Tunnel Bus to Windsor, and then transfer to Transit Windsor’s route 2 to the VIA Windsor station. I’ve researched this before and will probably do a variant of it at some point (though I’ll be transferring from the D2A2 bus from Ann Arbor rather than the Detroit Amtrak). It would be nice if they could extend the Tunnel Bus to Detroit Amtrak and Windsor VIA - they could even offer a joint ticket on Amtrak/VIA this way…

I've done the tunnel bus a few times via q line in detroit and local bus to via rail on the windsor side. However sometimes to shorten it up I have taken a taxi/uber from the via rail station to where you can catch the tunnel bus in windsor or same on the detroit side to the Amtrak station. Thought it worked well and was not hard to do as long as you get going and leave yourself a little bit of a cushion due to traffic or any unforseen customs delays

Last edited:
I've done the tunnel bus a few times via q line in detroit and local bus to via rail on the windsor side. However sometimes to shorten it up I have taken a taxi/uber from the via rail station to where you can catch the tunnel bus in windsor or same on the detroit side to the Amtrak station. Thought it worked well and was not hard to do as long as you get going and leave yourself a little bit of a cushion due to traffic or any unforseen customs delays
^The right answer.^ Although doing an "all-transit" routing would certainly be ideal, connections are not always favorable or even possible - especially on the Canadian side. I used to do this almost every year to attend the Detroit auto show. Another tip: Don't do this with someone with a British passport unless you have an extra hour or two to spend entering the US.;)

^The right answer.^ Although doing an "all-transit" routing would certainly be ideal, connections are not always favorable or even possible - especially on the Canadian side. I used to do this almost every year to attend the Detroit auto show. Another tip: Don't do this with someone with a British passport unless you have an extra hour or two to spend entering the US.;)
The Border Crossing Uncertainty Principle applies. I was taken off an Empire International bus at Kingsgate, BC entering Canada along with a British tourist. He looked suspicious because he had a Greyhound Ameripass and was entering Canada at an unlikely point. I looked suspicious because I had a one-way ticket (I didn't know which route I would use for my return trip). This won't happen again because it's another bus route that has been abandoned.

This is just one example of unexpected delays at the U.S.--Canada border.

Well, having crossed at Kingsgate/Eastport a couple times, it is pretty dang remote. That a Brit would show up there in particular really does seem unlikely.

Not having return/onward transportation is a red flag to Immigration officials the world over.

But yeah, don't think there are any buses through there any more. The Bonners Ferry-Cranbrook business probably was not very robust...

In 1971 there was 2x daily service between Spokane and Yahk. They connected with GLC in both directions on the Crowsnest Pass route. I was ticketed Portland to Edmonton. Luckily I had brought my DD214 with me, as they suspected that I was a draft dodger. There was no longer a discount on round trips and there were two rail lines and three GLC lines to choose among for the return.
1971 003.jpg

In 1971 there was 2x daily service between Spokane and Yahk. They connected with GLC in both directions on the Crowsnest Pass route. I was ticketed Portland to Edmonton. Luckily I had brought my DD214 with me, as they suspected that I was a draft dodger. There was no longer a discount on round trips and there were two rail lines and three GLC lines to choose among for the return.
View attachment 29830
Wow, Yahk! Not even Cranbrook. That is serious boonies. I know any rail service directly to Vancouver was gone from that vicinity by then. Was there still passenger service over Crowsnest east by then, or even service from Cranbrook to Golden to connect with the CP main?

From Edmonton, you could have taken CN either way, or caught the CP RDC to Calgary to catch the Canadian (was the Dominion still in service in 1971?).

Still in high school in 71. Did not have to deal with the draft until 73.

Wow, Yahk! Not even Cranbrook. That is serious boonies. I know any rail service directly to Vancouver was gone from that vicinity by then. Was there still passenger service over Crowsnest east by then, or even service from Cranbrook to Golden to connect with the CP main?

From Edmonton, you could have taken CN either way, or caught the CP RDC to Calgary to catch the Canadian (was the Dominion still in service in 1971?).

Still in high school in 71. Did not have to deal with the draft until 73.
I believe that the Dominion last ran in 1967 for the Montreal World's Fair under a different name.

By my September 1971 trip to Edmonton all that was left on rails south of Calgary were Dayliners to Lethbridge and between Lethbridge and Medicine Hat. GLC covered all of that area.

I'm not certain when the Crowsnest Dayliner was discontinued, but it must have been one of the most rugged RDC runs in history. [A good subject for a new thread.]

Back on the subject of trans-border rail U.S.--Canada, in 1966 when I first visited Spokane, the Spokane International Railroad still had its offices in Spokane Union Station. It was already a UP subsidiary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back