Return Home From Gathering V (Seattle) - Empire Builder SEA to Shining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
Yes, I know it's been a few years... I finally got the footage edited and I'm not one for journaling. A few AU'ers were on the same train - you might hear them if you listen closely...

Part 1 - Empire Builder Seattle to Wenatchee 10/10/11

October 11, 2013: The Amtrak Empire Builder #8 leaves King Street station in Seattle, WA and runs just feet away from the Puget Sound waters. Turning inland, the Builder passes through lush countryside on it's way to Wenatchee, WA.

Part 2 - Empire Builder at Whitefish, MT 10/11/11

October 11, 2011: Having arrived in Whitefish, MT, the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 makes it's first spot for the Seattle Sleepers. During this spot, it officially becomes AMTK 57 (there was apparently a mix up when joining with the Portland half in Spokane and the call number wasn't changed before departure). Now with the correct call number, the Builder gets a Form B clearance before making it's second spot.

Part 3 - Empire Builder through Glacier National Park 10/11/11

October 11, 2011: It's a gloomy day as the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 takes on the west side of Glacier National Park in the Rocky Mountains. Although the gloomy weather turns to rain (at times hard rain) leaving the landscape tattered with fog and mist, it doesn't deter passengers from the Lounge car. The Lounge car stays active until the weather clears near Browning.

Part 4 - Empire Builder Cut Bank to Minot 10/11/11

October 11, 2011: Leaving the rainy ride through Glacier National Park behind, the weather clears for the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 to cross the Cut Bank Trestle and on to Shelby. The though the Big Sky country of Montana starts to show clouds again and the High Line is completely cloudy by the time the Builder reaches Havre for its service stop and a drink of water. From there the scenery is freight trains until giving way to clear skys and a full moon for the approach to Williston. Upon reaching Minot, ND, there are still pools of water from the flooding.

Part 5 - Empire Builder through Minneapolis, MN 10/12/11

October 12, 2011: On approach to Minneapolis, MN, the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 passes the home of the Milwaukee Road private cars Friends of 261 shop while an animated lounge care attendant makes her morning accouncement. After stopping at the station for a crew change, the Builder makes it's way south continues it's journey toward the Mississippi river while the sun seeks a spot to break through the clouds.

Part 6 - Empire Builder along the Mississippi River 10/12/11

October 12, 2011: The fall colors of the Midwest are visible from the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 as it makes its way down the Mississippi river. After a brief stop in Red Wing, the Builder continues along the bank to Winona and eventually crosses the river a second time into Wisconsin.

Part 7 - Empire Builder through Wisconsin to Milwaukee 10/12/11

October 12, 2011: Leaving the Mississippi river behind, the Amtrak Empire Builder #8 makes its stops in La Crosse, Wisconsin Dells, and Portage. After getting a hotbox length of 1,034 feet, getting slowed by a crossing malfunction, and making its stop in Columbus, the Builder somehow looses 191 feet of length as it approaches the Mlwaukee area along Pewaukee Lake. The end of the trip is near as more and more landmarks are recognized until finally departing the Empire Builder #8 under the train shed at Milwaukee Intermodal Station. The trip is definitely over as there is just enough memory left on the video camera to get a quick shot of a CP tanker passing through the station.

• Great fun. We are boarding the Empire Builder on Saturday for Portland, OR and you've certainly whetted our appetites! Thanks.

What????? You could not wipe the raindrops off the window going through Glacier? ( kidding ) Thank you for the wonderful videos. It looks awfully familiar, as I was on the train leaving Seattle on Oct. 14 going to the Gathering. Long lice the Empire Builder!

Thanks for all the positive comments! I'm glad I can share my experiences through video.

GREAT PRODUCTION! I like how you overlaid the music tracks to allow the natural background sounds to still be heard. What is the music-it's good!
Thanks again!

For me the background music is much more than "This is my favorite song right now" - it important to me to match the mood or feeling of the sequence (as I was experiencing it at the time of filming - note the relaxed, slow "ethereal" / "Mountains in the mist" track on the Glacier Park video) and try to be consistent in style with the other sequences in the set. The music I used is freely licensed through a site called freeplaymusic.com - they have a very large library of music that can be legally used on YouTube (but no where else) - you don't even need to create an account on the site, just agree to the terms of the YouTube licensing agreement. Apparently, they have some technology link where the artists can get paid through the YouTube advertising stream.

Edit:

Rats! Just noticed the forum cut off part of my play-on-words title - the last part should read:

Empire Builder from SEA to Shining MKE

/Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Back