Return of Vermont service... someday

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest annoyance is that Amtrak will not let you book tickets on the Vermont trains - even if your reservation is for well into the future.

I know that they want to play it safe, but it seems to me that they could open up reservations for the fall and next winter.

The only Amtrak stations still with no service due to Covid are the Adirondack and Ethan Allen stops north of Albany and the Vermonter stops north of Greenfield. Everywhere else, even on the long-distance routes with try-weakly, there's at least some amount of train service.

Curioser and curiouser: this tourism site on rail travel to Vermont mentions a Visit Vermont fare good until October 28, 2021, when you can't book a train to Vermont on that date or earlier. 🤔

The only Amtrak stations still with no service due to Covid are the Adirondack and Ethan Allen stops north of Albany and the Vermonter stops north of Greenfield. Everywhere else, even on the long-distance routes with try-weakly, there's at least some amount of train service.

Curioser and curiouser: this tourism site on rail travel to Vermont mentions a Visit Vermont fare good until October 28, 2021, when you can't book a train to Vermont on that date or earlier. 🤔
The Cascades north of Everett and San Joaquins from Stockton to Sacramento also have no rail service, although there is bus service. In addition, the Maple Leaf beyond Niagara Falls has no Amtrak service, although the only stations without service in that case are in Canada and most have GO service. I can also think of at least one other example of a station which currently has trains passing by but no active train or bus service (Hammond-Whiting, IN).

The next meeting of the Vermont Rail Advisory Council is this Thursday, March 25th 1-3pm. Updates to the Amtrak suspensions in Vermont is on the agenda, as is public participation. Here's the link to the agenda and to join the meeting. I will try my best to fit it into my work schedule, but highly encourage those that can to attend!

Here's a link to a Trains in the Valley page about helping to restore the Vermont train services.

Still over three months away :rolleyes::rolleyes: they're losing soo many riderssss! Shame on VT. Are the highways closed? No. Airports? No. Buses? Nope.

Was the NEC ever closed this whole time? nope.
As for the three months, that’s how much notice was required. Should have gave the notice two months ago and had it restarted for Memorial Day weekend. Should have never been suspended for as long as it has. Later is better than never I guess.

Back