Return to Egypt, trains planes and automobiles + Tuk Tuks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving the story and gotta say that their taxis are rather interesting if a bit scary for someone like me who has only ever taken one American taxi and now I want to pack some wet wipes for any future trips anywhere in case toilet paper goes missing lol.

It is not as bad as it reads on the page as you get carried along with how situations develop here, the unusual starts to feel usual. I think we just got (un)lucky here as most people are just trying to help while helping their friends out at the same time.

You've just invented a new chapter title of a travel blog... 'trains, taxis, toilet rolls and wet wipes'

Thanks for the encouragement, it's appreciated

BTW, the official taxis rank had been moved maybe for evening use? We saw it as we left the station, it was packed with waiting official taxis.

Last edited:
It dawned on me that I was sitting on a snug but unusual front seat. I gingerly felt around my legs and although quite comfy I had suspicions, it was like sitting on a toilet seat. But no it wasn't quite that, it was a commode.

We arrived in very good time, a little more than 10 minutes. station to hotel. The driver who reminded me of the English actor Terry Thomas didn't try very hard to ask for more than he quoted, we were happy bunnies. Now back to our now familiar Cairo hotel, all 98 steps worth.

The following morning I asked housekeeping if they were doing laundry and could I add the pair of jeans I'd arrived in the night before. All well that ends well.
Are you insinuating that you were sitting on a commode that had been used and got excrement on your jeans? Or were you just worried about that possibility?

Are you insinuating that you were sitting on a commode that had been used and got excrement on your jeans? Or were you just worried about that possibility?

No Barb, I didn't think the seat was soiled and as it was dark I could only see the outline of the seat I was sitting on. That it looked like a modified but comfortable commode seat made me ask about laundry a day or two earlier than I would have done.
It was all down to the mental idea that I had/may have travelled on a high speed commode seat that it made me think to ask about laundry the next morning.

When people do not have a lot they can be ingenious with the little they can lay their hands on, and I take my hat off to them to be able recycle so much we all throw away.
If there had have been an odour I wouldn't have taken the situation very lightly, but no suggestion of that.

Late last night got back to Brentwood, Essex, UK after braving the almost complete rail strike that is happening here at the moment. Having to change our next 7 days plans too due to the extreme (for the UK) winter weather so will complete this trip report a few days down the road.
Already plans for the next journey are needing attention, this retirement life isn't turning out as described, it's so busy...

Last edited:
No Barb, I didn't think the seat was soiled and as it was dark I could only see the outline of the seat I was sitting on. That it looked like a modified but comfortable commode seat made me ask about laundry a day or two earlier than I would have done.
It was all down to the mental idea that I had/may have travelled on a high speed commode seat that it made me think to ask about laundry the next morning.

When people do not have a lot they can be ingenious with the little they can lay their hands on, and I take my hat off to them to be able recycle so much we all throw away.
If there had have been an odour I wouldn't have taken the situation very lightly, but no suggestion of that.
Thank goodness and my respect to the recyclers.

Late last night got back to Brentwood, Essex, UK after braving the almost complete rail strike that is happening here at the moment. Having to change our next 7 days plans too due to the extreme (for the UK) winter weather so will complete this trip report a few days down the road.
Already plans for the next journey are needing attention, this retirement life isn't turning out as described, it's so busy...
Yep,Retirement can be work, but it also can be such Fun if you are able to get around and do the things you didnt have time for when Working Full Time!

That brings to mind the Bob Dylan ( the Real One😁) Quote: " He not Busy being Born is Busy Dying.."

Hope you and Rosie are rested up, Well and have a Wonderful Holiday Season!😊

Last edited:
Selfishly sorry your journey has ended as I enjoyed my armchair version very much!

Guess I missed it, but wasn’t there a plan to visit the U.S. with your van?

Thank you Palmland, it's just trying to give a little back to the forum for all the help we have been given.

Yes there were plans to ship our camper to the US, but sometimes things happen that are completely out of your control, you have to roll with the punches.
Not being able to tour the entire US in our own wonderful camper will remain one of the major disappointments in our lives, but we all have these moments and need to move on.

We're soon off on another mission, to find a lost friend in Thailand, ride a LD train there, check out the Bullet trains in Japan, and check out Gangnam in Seoul. Off to ride something in Vancouver before whale watching in Baja and then home for a while to catch up on the many chores.

The final 5 days in Cairo will follow here at some point, of course Nabil the taxi driver features again.

I’m sorry to hear you won’t make it to the U.S. on your next trip but it sounds like you still have many great adventures planned.

If your travels do lead you it to Florida at some point, please let all of us know as I suspect there are many forum members, including ourselves, in the area that would like to meet you.

I’m sorry to hear you won’t make it to the U.S. on your next trip but it sounds like you still have many great adventures planned.

If your travels do lead you it to Florida at some point, please let all of us know as I suspect there are many forum members, including ourselves, in the area that would like to meet you.

Thank you

Now to tidy up this travelogue, we spent the remainder of our time in Egypt in Cairo. Rosie wanted to walk through the 'Tent Makers Market' as she loves colour, pattern and fabrics. Fine with me, it's in the old part of the city which is always interesting. Vehicles featured are mainly Tuk Tuks.

Getting closer to the old city and spotted something in the minor road on the right

SA00164a.jpg

A complete house/shop has collapsed, and just remains collapsed.

SA00165a.jpg

Seen down the avenue, Tuk Tuk flying the flag

SA00167a.jpg

Vespa scooter modified to take a greater load. The basics of this engineering project is quite sound, particularly impressed with the 'coil over shock absorbers

SA00168a.jpg

Plenty of very old doors around here. The US is involved in the restoration of the whole of this building, I have the details if interested.

SA00169a.jpg

One of the entry gates into the Great Souk in the old Cairo. We turn right in front of the gates for the Tent Makers Market.

N63564a.jpg

As we approach the gates there are small craftsman workshops on the left. I stood and watched the skill of these men, astounding with the facilities they have.

N63567a.jpg

One of the Great Souk entrances

N63570a.jpg

Just at the start of the Tent Market is a kindly fresh fish seller with his cat audience.

N63571a.jpg

These are not tourist shops but displays where you choose the fabric for your tent? cushions, blinds, awning or giant marquee. The workshops are elsewhere.

SA00176a.jpg

To be continued...

I love those cats, specially the classic Egyptian Mau in the middle who is looking back towards the camera.

Another shot or maybe 2 to come Jis. The co-ordination of man and cat was astounding when he was chopping the unused parts off the fish. He didn't hesitate when using the chopping knife, neither did the cats.

Last edited:
Now to tidy up this travelogue, we spent the remainder of our time in Egypt in Cairo. Rosie wanted to walk through the 'Tent Makers Market' as she loves colour, pattern and fabrics. Fine with me, it's in the old part of the city which is always interesting. Vehicles featured are mainly Tuk Tuks.

Getting closer to the old city and spotted something in the minor road on the right

View attachment 30701

View attachment 30702

Seen down the avenue, Tuk Tuk flying the flag

View attachment 30703

Vespa scooter modified to take a greater load. The basics of this engineering project is quite sound, particularly impressed with the 'coil over shock absorbers

View attachment 30704

Plenty of very old doors around here. The US is involved in the restoration of the whole of this building, I have the details if interested.

View attachment 30705

One of the entry gates into the Great Souk in the old Cairo. We turn right in front of the gates for the Tent Makers Market.

View attachment 30707

As we approach the gates there are small craftsman workshops on the left. I stood and watched the skill of these men, astounding with the facilities they have.

View attachment 30708

One of the Great Souk entrances

View attachment 30709

Just at the start of the Tent Market is a kindly fresh fish seller with his cat audience.

View attachment 30710

These are not tourist shops but displays where you choose the fabric for your tent? cushions, blinds, awning or giant marquee. The workshops are elsewhere.

View attachment 30711

To be continued...
You’re intrest in various things are what make your travels fun to follow.

Last edited:
Tent Makers Market continued...

The colours and patterns appeared endless

N63573a.jpg

Coming out of the market into, another general market...

SA00182a.jpg

Another ancient doorway

SA00183a.jpg

Rosie discovered this surprise, yes Father Christmas in the centre of the Islamic centre of Cairo. Egypt is a multi religion country though.

N63584a.jpg

Just along from there was the old and the very old side by side

SA00186a.jpg

After walking a couple of kilometers beyond the market we retraced our steps, another fabric display

N63591a.jpg

Back to where we started (for Jis)

SA00187a.jpg

SA00188a.jpg

SA00189a.jpg

To be continued... Getting back to Downtown

You are one fascinating couple. I travel vicariously with you every time you post a report. We had to reschedule our recent UK & Europe trip to next April and are cautiously optimistic that this one will actually happen. Fortunately the Eurail pass remains not activated and Eurostar is currently offering fee-free changes.

You are one fascinating couple. I travel vicariously with you every time you post a report. We had to reschedule our recent UK & Europe trip to next April and are cautiously optimistic that this one will actually happen. Fortunately the Eurail pass remains not activated and Eurostar is currently offering fee-free changes.
Whoops, sorry.

We're not really, we're pretty ordinary in the flesh. But thank you for the confidence boost.

What are your outline plans for next year, maybe we can help?

View attachment 30702

Irrelevantly the collapsed building reminded me of the sight gag in Night in Casablanca, one of the Marx Brothers' lesser (but still very funny) outings, in which the gendarme asks Harpo if he thinks he's holding up the building. Harpo nods "yes" or maybe "oui" and the officious officer yanks him away. With predictable results. Never gets stale. I've been a Marxist for decades.

Harpo Holding Up the Building (YouTube link, 22 seconds)

Back