Returning Member

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmpireBuilderFan

Lead Service Attendant
Well, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm finally able to return to the discussions. For the "old hands", it's good to see you all again, and for those who have joined since I've been away, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to entering discussions with you all. I see that there's another Empire Builder fan on the board. More support for Amtrak's best train! :D

As a form of (re)introduction, I'm currently studying at a Catholic seminary about an hour north of Chicago, and occasionally ride the Empire Builder to Williston, ND to visit my parents in western North Dakota. Following my graduation from seminary next spring, I will be returning to eastern Montana, and hope to be an advocate for both the Empire Builder and the development of multiple passenger trains throughout Montana and the northwest United States.

Well, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm finally able to return to the discussions. For the "old hands", it's good to see you all again, and for those who have joined since I've been away, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to entering discussions with you all. I see that there's another Empire Builder fan on the board. More support for Amtrak's best train! :D
As a form of (re)introduction, I'm currently studying at a Catholic seminary about an hour north of Chicago, and occasionally ride the Empire Builder to Williston, ND to visit my parents in western North Dakota. Following my graduation from seminary next spring, I will be returning to eastern Montana, and hope to be an advocate for both the Empire Builder and the development of multiple passenger trains throughout Montana and the northwest United States.
Hi, EmpireBuilder Fan! I'm a relative "newbie" to the site. I live near Spokane (well, relatively near, anyway) and as it's the only train in town, the EB is my preferred route of choice. I have taken a few short trips on the EB, but the only long-distance trip (Spokane-Chicago) I've taken on it was in 1965---when I was five years old and of course pre-Amtrak, when the Great Northern ran it. Ahh, the memories of my sister and I giving my mom a respite by spending most of our time in the old Vista Dome! This fall I have plans to take the EB to Seattle, then take it all the way to Chicago. I have a connection in Chicago with the City of New Orleans, and hope the EB's on-time performance improves...there's a 4 hour layover in Chicago between trains and lately the EB has missed that connection a good percentage of the time.

Good luck in your efforts to develop multiple trains throughout Montana and the Northwest. I for one wouldn't mind more options to and from Spokane. A return to the North Coast Hiawatha, perhaps. I took that train once, too, but that was even earlier, in 1963. Somehow my memories of 44 years ago aren't that good and I don't remember anything of that trip. :D

Welcome back, I didn't think we had heard from you in a long time. I think we shared some old timetables or something regarding the Builder once upon a time.

Do seriously consider coming to the Chicago meet (I note you live near Chicago) in October if you can get away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya, Bill and gs,

It's good to "talk" to you again! Thanks for the invite to the Chicago meet. I'm really going to have to look at my schedule and see if that weekend is open. I think it's available, but I'm not sure. October tends to be quite busy at the seminary.

I think we shared some old timetables or something regarding the Builder once upon a time.
Yep, and I still really appreciate your willingness to do that. I always find something new and interesting when looking through those old timetables.

Hi, EmpireBuilder Fan! I'm a relative "newbie" to the site. I live near Spokane (well, relatively near, anyway) and as it's the only train in town, the EB is my preferred route of choice. I have taken a few short trips on the EB, but the only long-distance trip (Spokane-Chicago) I've taken on it was in 1965---when I was five years old and of course pre-Amtrak, when the Great Northern ran it. Ahh, the memories of my sister and I giving my mom a respite by spending most of our time in the old Vista Dome!
Nice to meet you, JayPea! Unfortunately, I'm too young to have known the pre-Amtrak Builder (Amtrak predates me by a couple of years), but I've heard so many great things about how the Great Northern ran the EB. Having ridden in a dome under Amtrak as a teen through Pennsylvania's Horseshoe Curve, I could definitely see how popular those domes were. The Sightseer Lounges are very nice, but nothing beats being able to look along the top of the train.

This fall I have plans to take the EB to Seattle, then take it all the way to Chicago. I have a connection in Chicago with the City of New Orleans, and hope the EB's on-time performance improves...there's a 4 hour layover in Chicago between trains and lately the EB has missed that connection a good percentage of the time.
I was really surprised when I checked back into the forum and saw that the Builder's timekeeping was suffering. As I'm sure you know, the EB tends to be one of the best for timekeeping. Here's hoping that this is just a series of "bad days" for the Builder.

Good luck in your efforts to develop multiple trains throughout Montana and the Northwest. I for one wouldn't mind more options to and from Spokane. A return to the North Coast Hiawatha, perhaps. I took that train once, too, but that was even earlier, in 1963. Somehow my memories of 44 years ago aren't that good and I don't remember anything of that trip. :D
I highly agree with you. I've made the transfer from the Builder to "the Dog" in Spokane once, and it's not fun having to be up and alert at 0-dark-30 to get on or off the train. I would love to see multiple trains in Spokane, not only multiple Empire Builders, but also multiple North Coast Hiawathas and even several Seattle-Spokane and Portland-Spokane trains.

I highly agree with you. I've made the transfer from the Builder to "the Dog" in Spokane once, and it's not fun having to be up and alert at 0-dark-30 to get on or off the train. I would love to see multiple trains in Spokane, not only multiple Empire Builders, but also multiple North Coast Hiawathas and even several Seattle-Spokane and Portland-Spokane trains.

I'd love to see multiple trains in Spokane like those you've suggested. I hear of time to time people who want to push for daylight Spokane-Seattle trains, but nothing so far has ever come of it. A few years ago, I even saw an article in the Spokane paper that there was a group of local politicians and businessmen wanting a Spokane-Denver train. THAT would be interesting!

Back